DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

I bet they move up the road to Jacksonville and use their arena, they don’t have a NBA or NHL team and even in Florida it’s going to be along time before concerts are back. 

Jacksonville has a minor-league hockey team in the same league as Orlando’s.

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

More details, from the official announcement:

"During autumn of this year, the first 4 wrestlers of this group will be announced, who will be called to revolutionize the AAA lineup. On the one hand, we will have the technical wrestlers: Aracno and Leyenda Americana and, on the other hand, we will have the tough wrestlers: Terror Púrpura and Venenoide."

My español is a little rusty, but it looks like it's going to be luchador versions of Spider-Man; Captain America; Venom; and a large, erect penis.

Give us Squirrel Girl as the new AAA Women's Champion or we riot. 

• Like 4

Was thinking about this for some reason: What is the worst show you have ever had the misfortune of attending?

For me it's a pretty simple answer: Extreme Rising in 2012. Arguably the biggest indy show disaster of all time that pretty much killed off the ECW nostalgia circuit for good. Everything that was wrong with this show has been well documented but there are 3 things that stood out about just how awful it was:

1) They promised commemorate chairs to people sitting ringside. They never came so they took some plain folding chairs, had a few guys sign them and hand them out instead. Several people on the bus who got them took pictures of themselves throwing them in the garbage when they got home.

2) The second Mike Johnson got on the bus he grabbed the PA and basically apologized for just how awful the show had been. We had done trips to some shows that weren't that great (I remember a particularly wretched CZW show that @Petewas also at where I cut a promo over his cell phone to @Rev Ray on how bad the show sucked) but this was awful on a whole other level.

3) As a make good the promotion offered everyone on the bus (60+ people) a free ticket to their show the next month in Queens. 4 people (including myself) took them up on the offer. That was a shame as that show was the exact opposite of the debacle in Philly but there were only 150 or so who showed up. As the old saying goes: You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Man, it wears me out when I find out just how many wrestlers support a certain candidate. I feel like I don't want to even bother catching up on AEW because of it.

While I can probably take a guess with some of them that's one thing I hope to not find out.  I find that with businesses near me if they have a certain sign or talk them up a certain way then I make a mental note to not bother with them for a good while.  Which is a shame as there's an awesome bar I love going to but I won't go there for...reasons.  So I'm hoping to avoid something similar when it comes to wrestling because while it shouldn't cloud my opinions on them I am human and it honestly will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Was thinking about this for some reason: What is the worst show you have ever had the misfortune of attending?

Great American Bash 1991. 

• Flair quit the company...fans chanting "we want Flair" all night, couldn't give a shit about anything happening in the ring the entire show.  Not that they gave us any reason to.
  • Capture the Flag style scaffold match with motherfucking PN NEWS in it
  • Oz, El Gigante, Black Blood, JYD all on the card
  • The Rock and Roll Express EXPLODES
  • Heatless, bad matches up and down the card
  • Luger finally wins the world title, beating unpushed midcarder Barry Windham in a terrible match, making a completely heatless heel turn, for a cheaply relabelled Dusty Florida Belt because Flair had the real belt
  • Intergender match in the main event, rebooked as a somehow even worse handicap match, because Maryland doesn't allow intergender.  So either they booked a match knowing all along they couldn't deliver, or they were really stupid.

They had the talent to rebook the show with a decent 8 man tournament for the belt but instead, we got a total shitshow.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

• Flair quit the company...fans chanting "we want Flair" all night, couldn't give a shit about anything happening in the ring the entire show.  Not that they gave us any reason to.
  • Luger finally wins the world title, beating unpushed midcarder Barry Windham in a terrible match, making a completely heatless heel turn, for a cheaply relabelled Dusty Florida Belt because Flair had the real belt
  • Intergender match in the main event, rebooked as a somehow even worse handicap match, because Maryland doesn't allow intergender.  So either they booked a match knowing all along they couldn't deliver, or they were really stupid.

They had the talent to rebook the show with a decent 8 man tournament for the belt but instead, we got a total shitshow.

Oof, that's a really bad one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Man, it wears me out when I find out just how many wrestlers support a certain candidate. I feel like I don't want to even bother catching up on AEW because of it.

Liberals can't stomach anyone disagreeing with the Party? Shocking...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Meiko Satomura is apparently signing for WWE.

Hide contents

To be a player/coach.

Hide contents

At NXT UK.

She's been signed for a while now.  Was going to be one of the head trainers for NXT Japan, but those plans were put on hold obviously.

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You know, Ryan very nicely set up a discord for us, we can talk about all kinds of fun things there. And not here. 

Slight correction but it was me that set it up.  I made Ryan an admin since he had a clue about things regarding Discord (plus real life shit took me out of it for a bit so thanks dude)  But while I hesitate to mention it at the risk of being a shill for the thing if this does need to be further discussed please consider this.  https://discord.gg/7u3hySK

And speaking of that while I do have other sections for wrestling and such I realized over time that the only point of it is to discuss politics so we don't need to worry about it here.  So while I would love for wrestling-related chats to happen there since we have this lovely board it's not realistic to expect it be super active all things considered.  But it's there if y'all are interested.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Slight correction but it was me that set it up.  I made Ryan an admin since he had a clue about things regarding Discord (plus real life shit took me out of it for a bit so thanks dude)  But while I hesitate to mention it at the risk of being a shill for the thing if this does need to be further discussed please consider this.  https://discord.gg/7u3hySK

And speaking of that while I do have other sections for wrestling and such I realized over time that the only point of it is to discuss politics so we don't need to worry about it here.  So while I would love for wrestling-related chats to happen there since we have this lovely board it's not realistic to expect it be super active all things considered.  But it's there if y'all are interested.

That was my bad, I corrected myself a second later but you caught me. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was my bad, I corrected myself a second later but you caught me. Sorry about that.

No worries.  I just appreciate Ryan holding down the fort over there no matter how much or little traffic there is.  I think I found some things to add to it but with how it is over there now I'll hold off for now.

And you know what, why not.  If you're feeling up for it @Six String Orchestra and @The Comedianplease go over there and discuss it.  I wasn't initially curious but there's a part of me that is now.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Fortunately, I haven't been to many live shows since about 2008 so most of the really bad shows I've been to were held 15-20 years ago and have kinda faded in my memory.  Saw a lot of tiny indy shows when I lived in CA that were bad.  Empire Wrestling Federation comes to mind. Their shows were hit and miss.  They tended to use local indy guys you weren't familiar with with a sprinkling of guys from APW and Epic.  At one point, they were sharing talent with other indies in the area, so you at least got wrestlers you had heard of, and they did have some good feuds  and shows.  They ran a Brandon Gatson-Scorpio Sky feud that is one of my favorite feuds no one saw.  Mikey Nicholls/Nick Miller got his start there too, irrc.

The show that comes to mind was a show in Morgantown, WV circa 2004 or 05.  They advertised some ex-WWE guys but none of them showed and the guys that did wrestle seemed to be barely trained.  Every match was wrestlecrap-fodder and deserved to be in the "show from hell" thread Dean had at one point long ago.  The match that stands out was between two chunky barely-trained guys who both wore jobberish-looking black singlets with plain black long tights.  They looked like they ware doing some sort of jobber twin gimmick circa JCP in the mid-80's.  I kinda expected Tully to come down and beat them up while calling for Magnum TA to come on down.

Anyway, it was a terrible match with a worse finish.  I think the finish was supposed to be Wrestler A going for a moonsault, Wrestler B rolling out of the way, then Wrestler B rolling back to cover A for the pin.  What we got was Wrestler A climbing the turnbuckle slowly and unsteadily.  Wrestler B apparently isn't aware of where A actually is, so he rolls out of the way while A is still climbing to the top post.  For some reason, B rolls too far and rolls under the bottom rope and almost falls out of the ring.  B ends up clinging to the edge of the apron trying to keep himself from falling off.

A finally - finally - gets to the top of the turnbuckle, looks over to see B clinging to the edge of the apron like a spider, hesitates for a second, then visibly shrugs and does the moonsault - to the center of the f*** ring.  Yep, he splatted himself moonsaulting an empty ring.  And the moonsault itself was bowling shoe ugly, so...

B looks over, sees A prone on the canvas, and apparently realizes he's supposed to cover A, so he tries to get back in the ring.  Except, he's barely hanging on to the edge of the canvas, so when he tries to roll back in the ring, he finally falls over the edge of the apron and falls to the floor (more like finally puts his legs down and steps to the floor).  Then he picks himself awkwardly, crawls back in the ring, and eventually shimmies to the center to make the cover. The ref looked at them both in disbelief then made the three count.

On the way out of the ring, you could hear B apologizing to A for messing up the timing and saying "I moved too early.  Nothing you could do."  I guess asking them to improvise would have been too much?

That was the worst match of the night, but only by a small margin.  Whole night was awful.  Show drew less than 100 but the promoter apparently expected a thousand or so, so  the crowd looked awful in the vast sea of folding chairs that were set up. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Doesn't that sum up WCW in a nutshell? They had the talent to do this...but didn't.

Aside from Sting/Nikita in the chain match, was there really any other match on that card that couldn't of been scrapped in favor of a tournament?

I mean Robert Gibson vs. Richard Morton would have been a hell of a semi final.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Doesn't that sum up WCW in a nutshell? They had the talent to do this...but didn't.

Aside from Sting/Nikita in the chain match, was there really any other match on that card that couldn't of been scrapped in favor of a tournament?

I mean Robert Gibson vs. Richard Morton would have been a hell of a semi final.

I'd put Sting and Nikita in the tournament as well.  The chain match we got was hot garbage.  It was the kind where the heel is dragging the face to the four corners while the face secretly tags the buckles behind him, then jumps ahead for the last buckle to get a bullshit win.  Because everybody loves when a hateful revenge match is paid off with a babyface sneaking to victory on a technicality.

The Twitter account, "WCW Deep Cuts" (Which is my current favorite Wrestling Twitter) just posted some clips of the Steiners v Fire and Ice. Which is just big boys throwing around each other and it's great.

Question:

Was ICE Train big anywhere outside of WCW? Japan? Anything? Did fire and ice hold the Tag titles? (I'll google)

3 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

The Twitter account, "WCW Deep Cuts" (Which is my current favorite Wrestling Twitter) just posted some clips of the Steiners v Fire and Ice. Which is just big boys throwing around each other and it's great.

Question:

Was ICE Train big anywhere outside of WCW? Japan? Anything? Did fire and ice hold the Tag titles? (I'll google)

He had a run in Germany. We covered a Finlay vs (choo choo) Ice Train match (video included) a few weeks ago.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/10/new-finlay-friday-finlay-cannonball.html?m=1

It also has a really good PN News vs Finlay match. Check it out.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Really good writeup and great points about the shear number of limitations Luger and Windham were facing, which I've never really thought about.  I feel like another factor that made the match so blah at the time was that Windham was nowhere near world title contention.  He'd been a tag team guy teaming with Arn Anderson and also working on the heel side in Wargames matches in the leadup, teaming with Kevin Sullivan's geeks to make matters worse.  He was such a nothing in the grand scheme of things that he was scheduled for a intergender sideshow of a match for the original card where the draw was Missy vs Paul E and the male workers were afterthoughts.  In kayfabe terms, they were plugging an unranked lower midcarder into a world title match for no reason at all.

• Thanks 1