DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

58 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

I was AT THIS SHOW. Jesus H Christ this is my 7th circle of wrestling hell to watch the god damn man of war vs the dumpster in the match that wouldn't die. Giant Gonzales vs Virgil was the previous holder of that crown then this shit show happened. No one went home happy this day, my friends. No one

What did they do to fill up time? Was it just rest hold, after rest hold?

From what I remember, the Owen tryout match from the WWE Unreleased set is actually kind of egregiously bad. He did a lot of shit but none of it connected with the crowd or mattered. It's just a lot of noise. Horowitz tried to make the match resonate and get the fans into it but it was a steep climb. I think the Brian Adams vs Horowitz tryout match from a year later was way more effective and actually won over the crowd. I probably wouldn't have hired Owen after that tryout if I was Vince.

You know what I like? When Cornette trolls show up in pro-AEW twitter threads and try to use Cornette's nicknames for AEW wrestlers, but are too stupid to know how to spell Olivier. So they're going Kenny Oliviyay and then wonder why everyone's laughing at them and talking about how all Cornette fans are morons.

BUT ALSO, the reason why Jim started calling Kenny 'Kenny Olivier' was because he was saying Kenny was overacting with his facial expressions. But firstly, what a hypocrite because Cornette wanted to fire Alex Shelley from TNA for NOT overacting, and secondly, if you want to accuse someone of being a bad actor, why would you compare someone to the person who at his peak was considered not only to be the best actor in the World, but to be the best actor to EVER HAVE LIVED? If you think someone is bad at Basketball, you don't start nickname them Lebron Jordan, do you?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

It's not just Hillbilly Jim et al. it's that there's has been a long line of Redneck/Hillbilly gimmicks from the Godwins to Dutch Mantels Zebekiah character to whom ever else I'm forgetting that it seems like Vince has animosity towards southerners 

18 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Vince has a ton of insecurities. The fact that he's from the south, the fact that people called him Junior, anytime someone "leaves him" (Savage, Rock, etc)... and that's not even touching his insane micromanagement or ridiculous changes to common words/phrases ("Championship Opportunity", "Medical Facility"). 

He's a 75 year old former(?) cocaine and steroid user who sleeps 2 hours a day and drinks several energy drinks a day. Expecting any sort of logical, rational thinking from him is hopeless. 

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Prob should include his weird sickness/germaphobe thing too 

Don't forget, probably due to insecurity over being born in a Carolina trailer park, Vince loves $5 words like a fat kid loves cake.  I have never heard the word "abeyance" outside WWE.  Every pronouncement written by Vince and put into the mouth of an authority figure, from Jack Tunny through today, sounds like it was formulated by a legal team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Don't forget, probably due to insecurity over being born in a Carolina trailer park, Vince loves $5 words like a fat kid loves cake.  I have never heard the word "abeyance" outside WWE.  Every pronouncement written by Vince and put into the mouth of an authority figure, from Jack Tunny through today, sounds like it was formulated by a legal team.

One of the FTR guys said "Championship opportunity" on Dynamite a couple weeks ago and it really stuck out like a sore thumb

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Mustafa Ali doesn't have a cool, edgy Retribution name yet? Wouldn't he be more marketable if he got into the spirit of this thing and became MACHETE or CONSEQUENCES?

Maybe he gets to keep his name because he is the leader.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, Shartnado said:

ESL brings up several excellent points, so thank you for those, once more. It got me thinking if there have been similar instances where someone is pretty much THE innovating, ahead of the curve worker one minute, and all of a sudden the competition becomes so stiff that he/she is no big deal anymore? I think Brian Pillman and Scott Steiner kinda went through this even before the injuries took their toll on them, but they were later able to compensate with explosive personalities and mathematical prowess!

Ziggler is the clear standout here. Has the work rate and bumping skills that drove comparisons to HBK and Mr Perfect. Comes in hot and gets a massive wave of support.

Then NXT levelled up and all the indy super workers began to filter through to our screens and he was left being just another guy.

I really like Ziggler TBH but he needs a proper gimmick outside of 'guy trying to have the best match on the card' because just about everyone on the roster can do that.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, AxB said:

You know what I like? When Cornette trolls show up in pro-AEW twitter threads and try to use Cornette's nicknames for AEW wrestlers, but are too stupid to know how to spell Olivier. So they're going Kenny Oliviyay and then wonder why everyone's laughing at them and talking about how all Cornette fans are morons.

BUT ALSO, the reason why Jim started calling Kenny 'Kenny Olivier' was because he was saying Kenny was overacting with his facial expressions. But firstly, what a hypocrite because Cornette wanted to fire Alex Shelley from TNA for NOT overacting, and secondly, if you want to accuse someone of being a bad actor, why would you compare someone to the person who at his peak was considered not only to be the best actor in the World, but to be the best actor to EVER HAVE LIVED? If you think someone is bad at Basketball, you don't start nickname them Lebron Jordan, do you?

Olivier was a stage actor by training. Of course he projected to the back of the theater...which is what you should do as a pro wrestler at an arena show, as a matter of fact.

Cornette's so irrational about some of these guys that he forgets the basics of working that I know damned well that he knows. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

RETRIBUTION (Mustafa Ali, T-BAR, MACE, SLAPJACK, RECKONING & RETALIATION)

So two of them are named right off the list of scratched ideas for the group name? 

4 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Mustafa Ali doesn't have a cool, edgy Retribution name yet? Wouldn't he be more marketable if he got into the spirit of this thing and became MACHETE or CONSEQUENCES?

Maybe he should get all Puro with it and just be MUSTAFA. That'd fit their love of cutting everyone's name to one word too.

16 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Owen is still one of the most underrated talents of the last 35 years. There's really nothing he couldn't do well..  he can have a great match and do so in a variety of ways,  maybe he's using more psychology or maybe he's using his high flying skills..   you want him to cut a fiery promo he can do it.  You want him to cut a total dickish promo he can do it.  He was a genuinely funny guy.  He could be intense like the rest of the family. He could work WWF style or work Japan. He could get the best out of a young talent.  etc... 

If Owen had had Bret's dedication to wrestling, he would have been the better of the two. He was more athletic and charismatic than Bret, and had just as much technical skill (sans Bret's precision, naturally). He just wasn't as big of a mark for himself as Bret was.

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Ziggler is the clear standout here. Has the work rate and bumping skills that drove comparisons to HBK and Mr Perfect. Comes in hot and gets a massive wave of support.

Then NXT levelled up and all the indy super workers began to filter through to our screens and he was left being just another guy.

I really like Ziggler TBH but he needs a proper gimmick outside of 'guy trying to have the best match on the card' because just about everyone on the roster can do that.

Ziggler is allegedly a pretty badass amateur wrestler, but he never shows it. He'd rather be Great Value Shawn Michaels, I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

I think the idea is that Omega considers himself a great dramatic artist on par with someline like Olivier even though he clearly isn't. So the insult is not that Omega actually resembles Olivier in any way, but rather that Omega fancies himself that sort of figure when he's actually a ridiculous scenery-chewer. Kinda like calling an arrogant dumb guy "Einstein". (Not endorsing Cornette's opinion btw.)

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 3

I was listening to the episode of The New Day’s podcast with D-Von and it made me wonder, who is the most nondescript member of a supposedly great tag team? D-Von certainly seems like the front runner.

Edited by JonnyLaw

5 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Who is the most nondescript member of a supposedly great tag team?

Both of the New Age Outlaws?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I was listening to the episode of The New Day’s podcast with D-Von and it made me wonder, who is the most nondescript member of a supposedly great tag team? D-Von certainly seems like the front runner.

Bobby Eaton in every tag team he's ever been in.

By nondescript, I mean bland, generic, etc... Literally what the definition says: lacking distinctive or interesting features or characteristics.

Road Dogg had charisma; Bobby Eaton was a great worker; Stevie Ray maybe, but I almost feel like he’s too bad to be nondescript. 

I’d be tempted to give you Billy Gunn, just because he seems to be the poster boy for “wow, I didn’t realize he was actually that big.” I’d still say D-Von fits better, because Gunn had just enough charisma to make people think he had a singles push in him.

But the reason why Eaton is the greatest tag wrestler of all time is because he was so nondescript, he was able to tailor his work to complement his tag partner. The Eaton who teamed with Koko didn't work the same way the Eaton who worked with Condrey, or Lane, or Arn, or Regal worked. He was a blank slate. That's what made him great.

• Like 5