DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

Asshole! Feel better, not Ryan.

Edit: Imagine if we had an angry face response emoji. My sarcasm would be even more lost!

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

WWE is taking over the Twitch accounts of anyone in the company, and the talent will receive a percentage of any revenue from those channels - and it will count against their downside guarantee. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

WWE is taking over the Twitch accounts of anyone in the company, and the talent will receive a percentage of any revenue from those channels - and it will count against their downside guarantee. 

Surely this can only apply to accounts they present in gimmick?

No way WWE can take just control of Windham Rotunda's entire social media profile.

I'm waiting for Dave or Bryan or Satin to actually confirm it, because that's so fucking insane it can't be real.  Like, there's no defense of that, nor should there actually be way WWE can do that.  There's no way they put 3rd party content language in their contract if they're not doing it under gimmick.  Fuck, MY company can't even do that if I ran a Twitch and I'm an actual W-2'd employee.

• Like 1

They probably feel embolden to do these types of things, since very few talents have ever bothered to challenge them on many things. And when they do, it almost always gets thrown out or settled (after being litigated for YEARS).

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Rejoice as we're in the last quarter of this terrible year. Stay safe DVDVR Family. This month sees the NJPW G1 Climax 30 carry on and the annual WWE Hell in a Cell event.

I might have to reup my Subscription to NJ WORLD to watch some of the best matches after its done. HitC I'm hyped for Sasha vs Bayley even though the traditionalist in me doesn't like that the first match in this feud is the Cell. I'm loving Reigns as a heel, I guess we'll find out what's next for him tomorrow. I rarely get excited about WWE PPVs, I just watch them and they turn out decent At least. Not watching the TV makes the PPVs more enjoyable because as long as the overall work rate is good I'm left satisfied regardless of the terrible angles 50/50 booking and start and stop pushes people complain about every week 

So Serpentico was going to retire in March:

I'm fairly sure AEW neveractually announced he was signed. But if he's still unsigned, you wonder why they'd be featuring him so prominently.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Peck said:

Hopefully the David Ruprecht version and not this Leslie Jones garbage.

David-Ruprecht-001.png

The Dale Winton UK version is also an acceptable answer. I learn a lot about pastries from that show. 

Observer confirms.  Fucking hell, that's criminal.  He really is daring them to Unionize or walk, and really, they can't walk because the only places open that can pay them already have near bloated rosters and can't add more.

26 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Observer confirms.  Fucking hell, that's criminal.  He really is daring them to Unionize or walk, and really, they can't walk because the only places open that can pay them already have near bloated rosters and can't add more.

The blurb on the site says that Carrano told talent that WWE owns their real names.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They are so arrogant that they can't see there's a great chance this blows up in their faces big time. If I were them I'd be happy to keep things on the down low and off anyone's radar because the current system is very favorable to them, why risk bringing it down over relative chump change?

• Like 1

So... if Vince is going to take over the talent's Twitch accounts and take the revenue for himself, and the percentage of revenue the wrestlers do get to keep is going to count against downside guarantee, what is the point of having a Twitch account?  I'm not seeing where the wrestler makes any money off the channels in this scenario.  Vince takes a cut of the revenue and since whatever revenue the wrestler does make counts against the amount the WWE guarantees, the company will ultimately pay them less.  So yeah, talent seems likely to put some effort into their Twitch accounts and make the same amount of money.

On the one hand, I'm generally pro-business, so if Vince can get people to buy into this idea, good for him.  On the other hand, he's picking an odd time to demoralize the locker room.  I'm guessing flying around during a pandemic to perform in front of empty locker rooms and watch merch sales drop to nothing isn't what people signed on for.   It seems counterproductive to turn the locker room against the company given that you can't run live shows and tv ratings are terrible.  The company's going to remain profitable as long as the current tv contracts are in place, but the long term future is uncertain if they can't go back to their previous business model at some point in 2021 or 22.

The "WWE owns your real names" thing is silly.  Even if that was stipulated in the contracts -- and I expect Meltzer would have reported on it if that were the case - it's unenforceable.  The only way that claim sticks is if the wrestlers never challenge it.

Them again, I'd say much the same thing about the independent contractor claim, and wrestlers have never tried hard to challenge that even though they've had a couple decades to do so.   

• Like 1