DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Kinda interesting that Tully manages Shawn Spears as well as FTR, but manages them separately. As I was reminded of when Spears was lurking at the curtain to sarcastically wish SCU "good luck" against FTR.  Nice little nod to continuity without overdoing it by having Spears formally act as a third [yet] by contributing physically. But of course Tully should/would direct one of his other charges to put a psych job on the opposition for his main project.

Really looking forward to FTR hopefully exploiting the hell out of this TV time limit, Steven Regal style.

But they're still kinda faces for pointing out what cowards the Bucks are for superkicking Tony Schiavone when "we're right here".  At least to me.  Cuz Tony's great and the Bucks could not have chosen a better way to cement themselves as dickhead heels than by attacking Tony, being blase about it, and being too soft to step to FTR who [kayfabe] basically came here just to fight them.

delighted to see Dr. Baker back in the ring, adored the way she casually kicked the ropes to whiplash Red Velvet after having to break a hold.  The more little organic looking moments like that instead of the (as other has called out) inorganic WWE Performance Center Poses For The Hard Camera/standing around waiting for your opponent to get up, the better off everyone on the AEW roster will be.

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Cuz Tony's great and the Bucks could not have chosen a better way to cement themselves as dickhead heels than by attacking Tony, being blase about it, and being too soft to step to FTR who [kayfabe] basically came here just to fight them.

Good read. That makes me more interested in the angle actually. 

It's so dumb. There is no one to cheer for in this mess.

FTR doesn't give a shit about Tony or they'd do something about it rather than standing there. They aren't the babyfaces. Imagine someone attacking Gordon Sollie during an interview and Dusty just standing there. It wouldn't happen.

The Bucks (or the one that was there) don't give a fuck about FTR because they'd attack them rather than the random announcers for no purpose. If they actually wanted the belts they'd go after FTR.  If they were actually upset they'd go after Page since he was the one who cost them a match that spurred this turn. Instead they are going after employees of the company they help run and probably helped hire for ... reasons.

Page has been hurt immensly by this angle by turning from a badass drunk to a sad drunk who turned on his friends (The Young Bucks who he didn't like anyway), got turned on by the people he was trying to be friends with (FTR) and is still being a sad drunk now.

Omega is turning heel for I don't know why and did it over commentary instead of having any sort of actual heel moment in the ring accept being aggressive against people no one cares about like the lower members of the Dark Order or Marko Stunt.

Don't get me wrong, they've successfully made the classic heel team with the classic heel manager who just cheated to win the most likeable people in the story. It's just amazing. 

• Like 3

How is Page not the most likeable guy in this story? And it's likely just a matter of time till he returns to beeing a badass. His current sad-phase is just the calm before the storm. He'll probably become something like murder-Ibushi when he finally "snaps".

Considering Young Bucks... yeah, I don't really know what's the plan here.

• Like 3

It's a bit strange but I'm guessing it leads to long term character growth after initially failing to beat them. Could be wrong and that could be too similar a story to Page's story. But yeah, turning them into tweener/heels before they face the old school heel team is definitely strange but I really appreciate them kicking old guys in the face and said old men making funny sounds. 

Agree Young Bucks are terrible right now. No one buys them as anti-authority bad asses and it honestly reeks of money mark with the book trying to book themselves as killers.

Hangman is basically early season 2 of Succession Kendall Roy right now. I didn’t particularly care that that dragged on for 10 episodes either, but when the sad panda part was over...woo boy.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

Kinda interesting that Tully manages Shawn Spears as well as FTR, but manages them separately. As I was reminded of when Spears was lurking at the curtain to sarcastically wish SCU "good luck" against FTR.  Nice little nod to continuity without overdoing it by having Spears formally act as a third [yet] by contributing physically. But of course Tully should/would direct one of his other charges to put a psych job on the opposition for his main project.

LOL great point; I literally forgot that Spears is in the same stable (in the loosest sense of the word) as FTR.

I really enjoyed that promo segueing right to a walk to the ring.  Kind of like my earlier comment about AEW existing in a real world instead of its own fictional universe, it also exists in a real physical arena like an actual sport as opposed to a series of sets that may or may not be in the same place.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I really enjoyed that promo segueing right to a walk to the ring.  Kind of like my earlier comment about AEW existing in a real world instead of its own fictional universe, it also exists in a real physical arena like an actual sport as opposed to a series of sets that may or may not be in the same place.

You know they are really skirting that fine line with the way they set up those backstage story progressions. Eventually I’m afraid they won’t acknowledge the camera being there. So I’m thinking they should back off this kind of stuff for awhile so they don’t fall into that cliche.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jiji said:

But yeah, turning them into tweener/heels before they face the old school heel team is definitely strange

My assumption has been that we'll see this tweener/heel storyline play out and the Bucks return to pure faces before they actually pull the trigger on Bucks vs FTR. I could be wrong, of course.

21 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Agree Young Bucks are terrible right now. No one buys them as anti-authority bad asses and it honestly reeks of money mark with the book trying to book themselves as killers.

Hangman is basically early season 2 of Succession Kendall Roy right now. I didn’t particularly care that that dragged on for 10 episodes either, but when the sad panda part was over...woo boy.

That's actually a very good comp, but we could do without Hangman trying to rap. But yeah, if we get a sad a broken Hangman that is really someone shaping himself into a killer, then I'm all for it.