DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Just a clarification, it turned out he said "Griselda's favorite wrestler", a rapper that has a new album out this week with a song called "The Butcher and The Blade".

I heard "Kris Zellner" first also, and so did a lot of other people on the Twitter timeline. 

Griselda is a record label. Westside Gunn is the rapper in question and also has a track named "Lucha Bros". And "Dean Malenko" and a skit that's just an Arn promo, and that's just AEW. I'm hoping Kingston or somebody has some licensed entrance music sooner than later.

Anyone criticizing AEW for playing for too small an audience who heard "Kris Zellner"... take a moment to reflect.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Decent show.  Nothing bad at all.

Darby vs Starks was very good!  It 's exciting to see young midcard dudes going at it and knowing they'll be the uppercard one day.  It reminds me of HHH vs Rock back in the day where both guys were just coming up.  It's refreshing to have a national wrestling company where it's not just this upper echelon of a few guys and everyone else is meaningless and trading inconsequential wins.

Speaking of "nice to see," we got mentions of Dave Meltzer and Kris Zellner on the show.  It's cool to see a wrestling company that acknowledges there's a real world outside of it.

The sudden Luther involvement was whatever, but it's clear Jericho just wants to wrestle a friend of his on his 3oth anniversary show, so it's cool.  

MJF/Inner Circle SCUMBAGS COLLIDE segments are just tremendous.  I was really hoping he would get Santana and Ortiz mixed up.  

Bryce Remsburg was not bad on the mic!

I'm really lukewarm on FTR's Tully and Arn cosplay act.  I saw the Warrior/Rude finish coming a mile away and I'm not sure they needed to cheat to win their first match in this new gimmick.  But their gimmick is they're old timey heels so that's what we got.

AEW needs to tighten it up with their angles.  We had Scorpio going single for weeks and Kaz watching from the sidelines.  Now they're teaming again with barely any lip service paid to why.

Cody's promo was fine.  His entrance is getting longer and more ostentatious.  The "wrestling has more than one royal family" thing is so cringe and notice me senpai.  Didn't need the "will he or won't he" tease.  But again, all that being said, it was okay.

Britt Baker was really good!  What is it about women's matches that brings out the worst in JR?  His only compliment for Red Velvet (aside from saying she's his favorite cake????) was that she's a great athlete.  Because of course he would.  If you don't know what I mean, look up articles analyzing typical commentary on black QBs vs white QBs.  And then Baker is having a tremendous match and instead of saying, "wow, she's been working on her skills in her time off," he talks about how good her arms look and how she must have been working out.  Jesus.  I shudder to think what got edited off.  Funny how he made fun of Excalibur correctly calling a Fisherman's Neckbreaker but not a peep when Taz properly called a jujigatame.

THE BUTCHER!  Man, nice clubbering match there.  He was getting a but gassed but screw it. I'm ready to throw BIG ANDY into the group of guys who can be the next wave.  Digging Mox getting the bulldog choke over.

Love the fake Nick Jackson stunt foot.

Please sign Kilynn King thank you

Billy Mitchell's tie changed between shots.  Continuity error or some David Lynch shit?

Fun promo with Best Friends and Orange Cassidy.  

I generally agree on AEW’s angles but I think you’re missing the point with FTR and SCU. The entire reason that FTR gave SCU a title shot was because they hadn’t been teaming. Next week they’re giving Jack Evans and Angelico a shot. They’re intentionally avoiding the teams at the top of the division.

So you’re mad that JR didn’t say that Brit Baker had been working on her in ring skills when the announcers had started the match talking about how ring rust could give Red Velvet an advantage?

Commenting on the changes to a professional athletes body is common, to the point that he added 20 lbs of muscle in the offseason has become a cliche.

And you’ve the lost the plot with he needs to be more effusive in his praise of the winless, unsigned jobber—and that calling her athletic is some sort of racist dog whistle line of thinking.

• Like 1

Even sports commentators are well aware of it, at least the good ones are. Clive Tyldesley in England made a call for commentators receiving training on the matter. He was recently demoted by ITV for... reasons?

Edited by Jiji

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Billy Mitchell's tie changed between shots.  Continuity error or some David Lynch shit?

ha! i didn't catch that the first time and had to go back to check it out. he actually wore 3 different ties during his short appearance. Here they are, in order. Also note that his pocket square changes each time.

jUmb6cu.png2PpgkZ1.pngAysugeY.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Peck said:

Ivelisse couldn't even be bothered to sell the Judas sing-along. 

I'm watching the show on DVR playback, and she looked pretty enthusiastic. Not Pillman and Griff Garrison over the top mind you, but participating nonetheless.

• Like 2

I didn't really like the Nyla Rose stuff during the pull apart.

Seemed a bit too going into business for yourself. They're trying to get over a big match on the PPV, and a large portion of the segment is her beating up extras which leads to nothing. I get that it probably sells the out of control pandemonium of it all but it was way too distracting from what they were trying to achieve.

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

ha! i didn't catch that the first time and had to go back to check it out. he actually wore 3 different ties during his short appearance. Here they are, in order. Also note that his pocket square changes each time.

jUmb6cu.png2PpgkZ1.pngAysugeY.png

Wait are those first two different interpretations of the flag? The last is the British flag. Serious turncoat vibes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

17 hours ago, Goodear said:

Speaking of an infinitesimal audience, way to reach for the people who may know who Dave Metzler much less Kris Zellner actually is. Maybe they can bring up Parv and Johnny Sorrow next week!  

The real AEW wokes know Parv under his new gimmick as the Academic Agent...

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bryan said:

So you’re mad that JR didn’t say that Brit Baker had been working on her in ring skills when the announcers had started the match talking about how ring rust could give Red Velvet an advantage?

Commenting on the changes to a professional athletes body is common, to the point that he added 20 lbs of muscle in the offseason has become a cliche.

And you’ve the lost the plot with he needs to be more effusive in his praise of the winless, unsigned jobber—and that calling her athletic is some sort of racist dog whistle line of thinking.

Baker came back from a layoff and had the best match I've seen her in not involving Shida or Riho, and all JR could talk about was how big her shoulders are.  That's not a problem?  What if Patrick Mahomes came back from injury, threw six touchdowns, and all Joe Buck could talk about was how big his guns looked? 

As far as racism in commentary goes, I literally said in my post that there have been studies and I specifically mentioned the one about portrayal of black QBs and white QBs.  It's something you can go look up.  To sum up, white athletes are typically described as owing their success to their intelligence and drive, while black athletes are described as owning their successes solely to their physical attributes.  So yes, saying nothing about a black wrestler except "she's athletic" has roots in systemic racism.  But why read up on something when it's easier to just say something's not true?  It's 2020, that's how we do it now I guess.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I didn't really like the Nyla Rose stuff during the pull apart.

Seemed a bit too going into business for yourself. They're trying to get over a big match on the PPV, and a large portion of the segment is her beating up extras which leads to nothing. I get that it probably sells the out of control pandemonium of it all but it was way too distracting from what they were trying to achieve.

I chalked it up to the fact that Nyla just needs any ol' reason to wreck havoc.  She sees this pull apart and felt like joining in on the fun.  But instead of jumping in between Brandi/Anna she decided to take out random enhancement talent instead.  I honestly liked it.  And it didn't take too much away from Brandi/Anna or Cody/Brodie so it was all good in my book.

As for Billy Mitchell that guy is one carny-ass character and is perfect for pro wrestling.  I wouldn't trust him to put things out if I was on fire but would trust that he'll be an effective heel manager should he start doing that.

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Isn't the Oklahoma Roll a totally different thing?

It's basically the same move. I would call it an Oklahoma Roll in AEW (whether or not JR were sitting next to me) because I'm talking to mainstream wrestling fans. In New Japan or ROH, I would call it La Magistral because I know those fans are into international styles of wrestling.

• Like 2

As far as the JR thing. I would prefer that announcers call the women's matches the same as the men's. I have no problem with saying something to the effect of a talent looks to have been putting in sometime in the weight room , as a way to put over someone physique 

3 hours ago, Gorman said:

It's basically the same move. I would call it an Oklahoma Roll in AEW (whether or not JR were sitting next to me) because I'm talking to mainstream wrestling fans. In New Japan or ROH, I would call it La Magistral because I know those fans are into international styles of wrestling.

Then call is a “Cradle”, since nobody outside of JR calls it Oklahoma Roll. I think JR had it completely wrong, and nobody wanted to correct the old man.

* I could watch Ricky Starks and Darby Allin wrestle all week and while this feud is build on flimsy foundations it’s keeping my attention. I also like seeing Darby fall off high things.

* KiLynn King getting attacked by Nyla Rose during the pull-apart night mean that another of Dark’s best kept secrets might make it into the main show.

* That pull-apart. Wow. I’ve usually got no time for them but there was a savagery about this one that I loved, and this is where having the wrestlers at ringside works in your favour. I am SO excited for their Dog Collar Match and the commentary team did good work putting that in context, that they’re really rare (they didn’t say they’re seldom good but fingers crossed, eh?) And I know it’s not the usual wrestling promo but I really dig the way My Chemical Rhodesmance builds his talkies.

* Jim Ross. Again. I’m sick of him scoffing at Excalibur or Tazz using the correct names for holds, and being overly concerned with the physical attributes of the women. Get rid. Tony Schiavone wasn’t even there, was he? Pre-tape and night off!

* I’ve no interest in Private Party as singles wrestlers (slightly less than I have in them as a tag, to be fair) and even less in Matt Hardy as a straight veteran advisor-type. Broken or nothing, lads.

* I know mileage varies WILDLY on Luther (from me who likes him to everyone else who hates him) but I’m over the moon Jericho gets to work with one of his best buds on his anniversary show. It is as it should be.

* I don’t know who Billy Mitchell is. Don’t make me do homework.

* Britt Baker had the best match of her AEW (and possibly whole) career, and as much as I’d like to give the credit to one of Dark’s best kept secrets, Red Velvet, Britt more than held your her side of the bargain. Frankly, if a couple of months off through injury result in this level of improvement then bring on the ouchies.

* People were surprised by how good Bryce Remsburg was on the mic, and understandably because who even watched <redacted>, but he was fiery and ace here AND in the right.

* Jon Moxley versus Eddie Kingston is the feud we didn’t know we wanted but it turns out we’ve been waiting for our whole lives. This is where Eddie’s family makes sense, a bunch of guys he throws into battle to do his work for him, even if he makes them think they’re getting the rub from it. The Butcher blew up by the end but he’s such a watchable big man, and in another era would have made a decent living playing a monster in FMW or W*ING.

* I get that they’re in a ratings war, and it makes for decent, newsworthy TV, but there’s a slight scent of hotshotting about the booking. I mean, that’s fine if Tony K has plenty in his locker but you do slightly worry.

* In all that hotshotting, they still can’t find room for decent women’s storylines. Hikaru Shida got namechecked by Cody but where was she this week? Where was anyone other than Britt, Brandi, Anna Jay, and Nyla?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Linus said:

* In all that hotshotting, they still can’t find room for decent women’s storylines. Hikaru Shida got namechecked by Cody but where was she this week? Where was anyone other than Britt, Brandi, Anna Jay, and Nyla?

Welcome to Dynamite! The fact that two women's angles were briefly mentioned and we got a match means this may have been the most female content on one episode this year.

• Like 1