DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

avengers-assemble-group-poster

29) THE AVENGERS (2012)

Director: Joss Whedon

557 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural + JL Sigman (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/91%) : METACRITIC (69/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - It was #348 on the GOAT poll and to quote myself from then "That fucking movie was called three different things on three different websites". Also - the RT and Metacritic scores have not changed so if you ever wondered about those sites... there is that piece of info.

I've tried and I've tried, and even a couple years ago when I decided to rewatch all the Marvel movies (That Iron Man 2...woof), and I still cannot get into this movie. I remember I saw it in theaters and people were cheering and clapping, the group I was with was all into it and I thought "Huh..." And then I came here and people went nuts for it and still...nah. I don't know if it's a Whedon thing (I don't have particularly strong feelings about him, one way or the other...though I did dislike 'Avengers Age of Ultron' and 'Justice League' though I'm not sure how much of the latter was him and how much was Snyder...). I find the heroes spend so much time fighting like kids that by the time they fight the aliens/robots (They're aliens, right? But then when Iron Man closes the portal, they collapse like deactivated robots), I don't even really care (I had the same problem with Batman vs Superman, actually. They fought each other for so long I was kinda happy when Doomsday showed up).

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

infinitywar

28) AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

576 Points (8 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: (Mavs Fan #13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, JL Sigman, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/91%) : METACRITIC (68/8.7)

Yet this one I liked more than most. My friend was going on a diatribe about how it wasn't a good movie and I was like "Oh, I loved it". The heroes all acted like heroes, everyone got a nice showcase of how amazing their superpowers are, while still establishing Thanos as an all-conquering uber-villain. Like, the Scorsese criticism would definitely apply here, as hordes of nameless, aimless beasts just get repeatedly beat up by big, awesome heroes, but it's fun like an amusement park ride. But I also think it deserves credit for actually pulling all these years of movies together leading up to the big battle without too much cheating.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is probably the only pure Apples to Apples drop on the entire list and since it is two of the biggest titles indulge me for a second.

This might only be interesting to me but here we go.

So Infinity War edges out Avengers by 19 points. How did we get there.

[b]First - all of this is moot if Caley actually votes for Infinity War instead of giving it an Honorable Mention. But since he didn't - I can be a stupid dork for a second.[/b]

Now - here is the point totals for both movies (this is points - you do the math if you want to see the vote placement). Each movie has 8 votes

Avengers: 97, 97, 94, 93, 62, 53, 45, 16

Infinity War: 88, 83, 82, 81, 80, 80, 64, 17

So Avengers had 4 votes higher than the high vote on Infinity War. However, Infinity War had SIX movies that were #21 or higher on their ballot

Okay, now can we pinpoint to see if one specific voter made the difference. This is the part that entertained me the most.

SEVEN of the EIGHT voters voted for both movies. Andy in Kansas voted for Avengers, Mavs Fan voted for Infinity War. So for the purposes of my next part - I am pairing those two votes together

In the following list will be in the following format: Avengers Points/Infinity War Points/Difference

• Natural: 97/81 (+16 A)
  • JL Sigman: 97/64 (+33 A)
  • The Z: 45/80 (+35 I)
  • Octopus: 53/81 (+28 I)
  • Hobo Joe: 16/17 (+1 I)
  • KLOS: 62/82 (+20 I)
  • RIPPA: 93/83 (+10 A)
  • Andy/Mavs: 94/88 (+6 A)

Yup - it split perfectly in that 4 favored Avengers and 4 favored Infinity War. And you really can't blame one specific vote.

Basically - the average split for those who favored Avengers was a difference of 16 places (16 1/4 to be exact) while the split for those who favored Infinity War was 21 places

And there is more than you ever wanted to know about the voting for those two movies

Happy to oblige! And just know I was VERY close to putting it on my list, but I figured it didn't really need my support and it was fun to throw a few others on there for nerd cred (Tom at the Farm, Climax) or because I genuinely love them despite their stupidity (Grown Ups 2, They Came Together, Lucy). 

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

avengers-assemble-group-poster

29) THE AVENGERS (2012)

Director: Joss Whedon

557 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural + JL Sigman (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/91%) : METACRITIC (69/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - It was #348 on the GOAT poll and to quote myself from then "That fucking movie was called three different things on three different websites". Also - the RT and Metacritic scores have not changed so if you ever wondered about those sites... there is that piece of info.

Happy to be the joint highest vote for The Avengers (2012) with @JLSigman. Won't be the last as I think we've the same #1. The four solo movies come together as the Avengers Assemble. The film nailed the story, balancing the characters out and the humour. Puny God is the most I've ever laughed at a cinema. Mark Ruffalo's first go at Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk remains his best outing. The Avengers known as Avengers Assemble in the UK but interestingly enough it's The Avengers on Disney+ here. Whatever the name, it's still my #1 MCU movie.

Reveal hidden contents

infinitywar

576 Points (8 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: (Mavs Fan #13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, JL Sigman, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) was my #20. The build to Thanos and the Infinity Stones leads to here. Thanos, the antagonist promoted as the Big Bad needed to deliver. Certainly did. THAT ending is so rare in a CBM (blockbusters too) as the baddie wins. Only other CBM to do that is The Dark Knight (2008). Getting goosebumps thinking about The Snap and the music as Thanos sits on his porch. Out of the four Avengers movies I have them in this order:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

3. Avengers: Endgame (2019)

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

I'd actually put Captain America: Civil War (2016) second as it's Avengers 2.5.

This is probably the only pure Apples to Apples drop on the entire list and since it is two of the biggest titles indulge me for a second.

First - all of this is moot if Caley actually votes for Infinity War instead of giving it an Honorable Mention. But since he didn't - I can be a stupid dork for a second.

Now - here is the point totals for both movies (this is points - you do the math if you want to see the vote placement). Each movie has 8 votes

So Avengers had 4 votes higher than the high vote on Infinity War. However, Infinity War had SIX movies that were #21 or higher on their ballot

Okay, now can we pinpoint to see if one specific voter made the difference. This is the part that entertained me the most.

SEVEN of the EIGHT voters voted for both movies. Andy in Kansas voted for Avengers, Mavs Fan voted for Infinity War. So for the purposes of my next part - I am pairing those two votes together

In the following list will be in the following format: Avengers Points/Infinity War Points/Difference

Yup - it split perfectly in that 4 favored Avengers and 4 favored Infinity War. And you really can't blame one specific vote.

Basically - the average split for those who favored Avengers was a difference of 16 places (16 1/4 to be exact) while the split for those who favored Infinity War was 21 places

And there is more than you ever wanted to know about the voting for those two movies

Thanks for breaking it down like that, @RIPPA.

First - all of this is moot if Caley actually votes for Infinity War instead of giving it an Honorable Mention. But since he didn't - I can be a stupid dork for a second.

303krn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm guessing this board is going to reveal itself to be a bunch of DC-Stans after all and top 4 will be something like Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad. 2020 remains undefeated. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

infinitywar

I know Phil got into it with the scoring post afterwards, but I just did not like large swathes of this movie. The weirdness/changing of how the Hulk is to Banner really put me off (part of the reason why I voted Thor: Ragnarok so low on my ballot), the dialog often is forced (the "Why was she up there the whole time" thing is STUPID because Okoye knows she was up there to protect Shuri and I ---), and it just never clicked with me.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I'm guessing this board is going to reveal itself to be a bunch of DC-Stans after all and top 4 will be something like Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad. 2020 remains undefeated. 

Oh doubtful. Wonder Woman is the only one that might, unless I'm the only one who voted it high enough.

21 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Oh doubtful. Wonder Woman is the only one that might, unless I'm the only one who voted it high enough.

I was being sarcastic and a bit tongue in cheek.

19 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

WW already appeared. 

I missed that looking at the list. Bad attempt at dry humor.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

If I had submitted a top 150 ballot, I'd have probably voted for all of them.

DC FOREVER!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Super interesting that Ragnarok is gonna finish as the top Marvel movie (I don’t think any of the others stand a chance to surpass any of the last 5 or 6 mentioned unless someone is much higher on the Ant-Man franchise then I thought.), and I think it’s pretty likely none finish in the top 20 now. Legit wouldn’t surprise me if Thor is next.

It has made me much less optimistic about Spiderverses chance though. I’m questing if even top 10 will go down.

Well, I can think of at least 16 (maybe 17, we haven't seen Birdman yet) of the last 27 that will come out; only one is a legit "ugh" movie being that high, and that's Scott Pilgrim.  Hopefully Coco finishes ahead of Toy Story 3, for that matter, but I'm not holding my breath.

The others are basically what you'd expect. I think Spider-Verse is at least Top 15.

Edited by Contentious C

Spoiler
Movie_Poster_Final

27) TOY STORY 3 (2010)

Director: Lee Unkrich

577 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: (The Z #3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Sublime, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/89%) : METACRITIC (92/8.9)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #289 on the GOAT list

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Movie_Poster_Final

27) TOY STORY 3 (2010)

Director: Lee Unkrich

577 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: (The Z #3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Sublime, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/89%) : METACRITIC (92/8.9)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #289 on the GOAT list

I'm not sure I can ever get through the final 20ish minutes of this movie without being a sobbing mess.

• Like 1

Spoiler
tree_of_life_ver5_xlg

26) THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)

Director: Terrence Malick

585 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: (Bill S Preston, Caley & New Blood #1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Octopus, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/60%) : METACRITIC (85/7.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA: Now this is officially the last 6 vote movie. #127 on the GOAT list

• Like 1

So yeah - the people who voted for Tree of Life REALLY liked Tree of Life

The other three votes where a 2nd, 4th and 12th

Basically - if you went by average vote - this movie will be 1st on the list (obviously with some sort of caveat for the 1 vote movies)

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So yeah - the people who voted for Tree of Life REALLY liked Tree of Life

The other three votes where a 2nd, 4th and 12th

Basically - if you went by average vote - this movie will be 1st on the list (obviously with some sort of caveat for the 1 vote movies)

Probably would have been a top 5 vote for me too

17 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm not sure I can ever get through the final 20ish minutes of this movie without being a sobbing mess.

I felt that way about it, too, but on the drive home, it fell apart faster than Mel Gibson's character in Forever Young.  It was so clear it ended the way it did so it could be milked further.

For that reason, I liked the ending of 4, but it was clearly nowhere near as good in nearly every other respect.

25) THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013)

Director: Martin Scorsese

603 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Bill S Preston, The Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (80/83%) : METACRITIC (75/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - You would be shocked this movie is so high if you read the reviews of it on this board.