Hopefully I don't fuck this up too bad

A Total of 19 Ballots were submitted

Ballot Breakdown

• 100: 12 Ballots
  • 70+: 1 Ballot
  • 60+: 2 Ballots
  • 50+: 4 Ballots

A Total of 656 Movies were named in some form on ballots

248 movies made the final reveal. This represents 38% of the movies voted for. (For context, the Best of the 90s redo had 47% make it. The GOAT poll had 29%. I like being in the middle of that.)

Any movie that had 98 or more points made the list. This means that everyone's Top 3 made the final reveal. (There was only one third place vote specifically that was getting screwed.) It only added 4 movies beyond the traditional 100 point cutoff. (As a reminder 1st place vote = 100, 2nd place vote = 99, etc...)

TIEBREAKERS

1) Honorable Mention

1a) Fewer # of votes

2) Highest Individual Vote

3) Magic

(I think Honorable Mention votes and Fewer # of Votes will basically always end up falling the same way but I am not 100% sure because it is easier to break the ties as I go)

OTHER THINGS

Please don't reveal that you voted for a movie that hasn't been revealed yet. I do want to keep some of the mystery

Full list of votes will be posted at the end

I will keep a separate thread that will contain just the list that only I can post in. Mainly to keep the size of individual posts down to a manageable load time. (See the GOAT subfolder to see what I mean).

I will start the reveals later today after I eat lunch and do one last last check of the list

• Thanks 8

Couple of teases for later today

- My 9th place movie did not make it because y'all suck

- And don't get me started on y'all hating Mr. Rodgers

- To sorta answer something from the prediction thread: the most movies VOTED for by a single director was 6. Three (3) other directors had 5 movies VOTED for. Again, to be clear - that is just had a movie receive at a minimum an honorable mention. I how no idea what the final tally will be when the list is revealed.

Okay - I am going to do the 4 movies that didn't reach 100 points.

As per usual - I will probably tweak the format of the posts a little as I go until I find something I am happy with

I’m so pumped up! With how weird my life has been (as with most of us here) these past few months, this was a very fun project. I couldn’t deep dive it as hard as I had wished to initially, but I thank you all that participated in this and gave me something to smile at. This is a good community.

• Like 2

Official blanket statement here of watching any and all trailers at your own peril

EDIT - Okay - I just decided (after checking the Pacific Rim post on multiple browsers) that the movie poster will always be in the spoiler tag.

It is being purely done since I cant tell how big it will look until after posting and this will hopefully also help the folks on mobile.

I will specific state if any of the posters are NSFW

HA!

I already fucked up. Well because I forgot how to break my own tiebreakers.

Pacific Rim is actually 247 (since it has a higher highest vote) - the movie I am posting now will be 248.

I will edit the last post and master list will reflect the correct order

• Haha 1

Spoiler

tumblr_p9yzsnGneS1s80h8lo1_1280

https://thepostermovement.tumblr.com/post/174670994875/a-ghost-story-by-sam-wolfe-connelly

248) A GHOST STORY (2017)

Director: David Lowery

98 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston Esq

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/66%) : METACRITIC (84/7.0)

@caley wrote

A Ghost Story which is kind of impossible to explain but also kind of impossible to forget.  Not sure I've seen a film in a longtime with such confidence in its singular vision.  Like, A LOT of people are going to turn it off after the first 10 minutes or so and complain to their friend about it.  Another huge amount are going to watch most/all of it and shout "What the hell?!" are their TV.  And then one narrow amount of people are going to see it and love it.  I gotta respect that.  Amazingly beautiful cinematography in this one.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6459-oct-2017-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=690594

@S.K.o.S.wrote

A Ghost Story completely wrecked me.  Was holding back tears for at least 2/3 of the movie.  I don't think I had ever been seriously worried that I would start audibly sobbing in a theater but it happened here.  Not perfect (for one thing, there's one minor character who I think everyone would hate) but it's my #1 of the year right now.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6233-july-2017-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=667373

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I started a thread just for Pacific Rim? Maybe I shouldn't complain so much about the unnecessary threads of late. ?

They should combine your Pacific Rim thread with a Battle Bots one. Cover all bases.

—-

@hobo joe with the first first solo vote. Wish I watched it. I enjoy Kaufman.

Spoiler
detroit

245) DETROIT (2017)

Director: Kathryn Bigelow

98 Points (2 Votes + 1 Honorable Mention) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Control : HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/79%) : METACRITIC (77/6.7)

@Control wrote

I think DETROIT really got slept on. One of the tensest films I’ve ever seen.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6665-janfeb-2018-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=712886

Detroit would have obviously cleared the 100 point threshold if The Z had put it on his ballot instead of HM so I was always going to include it.

Anyway - that's the 4 movies that didn't have 100 points total.

I have a meeting soon so I am gonna start prepping the next batch. I may or may not post more tonight.

Otherwise we will be full steam ahead tomorrow

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I started a thread just for Pacific Rim? Maybe I shouldn't complain so much about the unnecessary threads of late. ?

To be fair - it is your own fault for getting to the theater early and being bored

del Toro and Bigelow almost certainly have one other movie respectively that'll bump them up to two a piece. 

Caught off guard that Kaufman directed a film during this decade. It's his only one (same with his co-director), so he's done.

I think that'll be Lowery's only one unless someone really likes Pete's Dragon or The Old Man and The Gun. Knowing what kind of stuff ended up on my list, I shouldn't be ruling anything out...

Edited by Andy in Kansas

BTW - I should note that obviously if I can't find someone talking about a movie within like 30 seconds via the board search, I am moving on.

It was entertaining regarding Anomalisa that apparently the only time it was ever mentioned on this version of the board was JT just saying "ugh" after watching it before the GOAT poll

I hate the idea of positioning stuff on my ballot in order to make the cut, but damn, I wish I had positioned something on my ballot in order to make the cut. It appears that I would have only needed to bump it up one spot. Haven't seen A Ghost Story or Detroit but I expect I'll be fixing that soon.

Spoiler
SacredDeer

243) THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017)

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

105 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#45) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%/63%) : METACRITIC (73/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - You can find people talking about this movie if you search the movie folder but it is never an actual review - its randomly brought up like when mocking the way Nicole Kidman talks or in the True Detective thread for... reasons. Closest thing to a review is JT randomly saying "It's fucking awesome"