DVDVR Message Board

Pro Wrestling NOAH

Johnny Rodz

Tanaka vs. Sugiura is a strong MOTY cotender, very very strong! Absolutely must see match!

They also announced a Nippon Budokan show for January 1st:

Such a cool announcement video.

In other news, Kendo Kashin beat Shuhei Taniguchi to replace Kazunari Murakami in the N-1 Voctory.

Anyone is an improvement over Murakami in my eyes, but this is still the worst replacement imaginable.

• Like 2

Sugiura vs Tanaka is one of the best matches of the year. Check it out. Sugiura is on another level. Tanaka tries to match him. 

Kashin at least entertained me in his "win" over King Tany. Smushing Taniguchi's face with the plexiglass and his frantic run at the 19 count to the ring while he was in the upper deck cracked me up. It should have been Kinya Okada though. The commentators mentioning Kashin's 2005 BotASJ tourney win brought back memories I didn't want to revisit of Dragon Soldier B.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Tanaka's legwork was some of the best I've seen in ages. Do wish wrestlers would throw in the occasional block and feint during forearm exchanges though #tropes ?

For a minute there I thought Tanaka was gonna break out the Bret Hart figure four around the post. Too bad they just kinda shrugged off the legwork down the stretch. This match was way more about two big bulls just butting heads though, sometimes literally. I can see people getting irritated with some of the no-selling and return strikes but it fit the story of the match. Also, move stealing! You never see that in Japan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Muto aims to win the N1, if he wins..then he won all big 3 tournaments, he will be in the record books forever. He wants the records, because matches and even Inoki and Baba will be forgotten someday but not the records over generations. Proof he lived as a wrestler...

Edited by D.Z
  • Sad 1

NOAH has launched an official ENG language Twitter account at https://twitter.com/noahglobal

A special series for international fans, NOAH The Universal Vol. 1, launched on Wednesday with the Japanese matches having ENG comms and the lucha matches had Spanish comms - https://www.ddtpro.com/universe/videos/10404

N-1 VICTORY kicks off on Sunday morning live on ABEMA with:
- N-1 Victory - Block ? Masa Kitamiya vs. Kazuyuki Fujita
- N-1 Victory - Block ? Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Masato Tanaka 
- N-1 Victory - Block B: Kenoh vs. Kendo Kashin
- N-1 Victory - Block A: Keiji Muto vs. Takashi Sugiura

• Like 1

Here's links to Wrstling Podcast shows featuring Stewart Fulton and myself looking ahead to the N-1 and talking all things NOAH and Japan and a separate show with Masa Kitamiya: https://linktr.ee/wrstlingpod

The N-1 VICTORY tournament starts on Sunday morning at 11.30 JST live on ABEMA with Masa Kitamiya v Fujita, Katsuhiko Nakajima v Masato Tanaka, Kenoh v Kendo Kashin and Takashi Sugiura v Keiji Muto. 
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Z said:

Day 1 of the N-1 Victory was good, Nakajima/Tanaka especially to the surprise of noone.

Are you going to provide commentary for any of the tournament shows, @Mark Pickering?

Hello. We will for the last night on Wrestle Universe:

NOAH, 03.10.2021 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

- N-1 Victory - Semi Final:
- N-1 Victory - Semi Final:
- N-1 Victory - Final:

• Thanks 1

Here's where we are with the N-1 VICTORY tournament. The last night of block action takes place this Sunday on 26 September and airs live on ABEMA:

- N-1 Victory - Block ? Masa Kitamiya vs. Akitoshi Saito
- N-1 Victory - Block ? Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Masakatsu Funaki
- N-1 Victory - Block ? Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
- N-1 Victory - Block ? Masato Tanaka vs. Kotaro Suzuki
- N-1 Victory - Block B: Kenoh vs. Masaaki Mochizuki Dragon Gate
- N-1 Victory - Block B: Kendo Kashin vs. Daiki Inaba
- N-1 Victory - Block A: Takashi Sugiura vs. Manabu Soya
- N-1 Victory - Block A: Keiji Muto vs. Kaito Kiyomiya

A Block - Muto (3 points) v Kiyomiya (4 points) is winner takes all. The winner moves into the semi-finals. 
B Block - Mochizuki leads with 4 points ahead of Kenoh and Kashin (both 2 points). Mochy faces Kenoh Sunday. 
C Block - Sakuraba and Masato Tanaka are tied on 3 points. Nakajima has 2. Nakajima faces Sakuraba Sunday.
D Block - Funaki and Fujita are tied on 4 points. They meet Sunday and its winner takes all. 

The semi-finals and final take place on 3 October at Korakuen Hall. Stewart and me will be there for live English commentary. Dragon Gate's Eita will have his first NOAH singles match on the same show v Atsushi Kotoge. 
  • Like 2

Just finished watching Day 4. Really great tournament so far. A complete breeze to sit through as well, as Day 2-4 are only around 1:45h long each. Even the Kendo Kashin & Keiji Mutoh matches were enjoyable.

I was way off with my Kitamiya prediction, but I realized that on Day 1 already.  I thought he was in for a big push, since he won the big cage match against Nakajima, but I guess this is Kiyomiya's year. Unless Mutoh wins lol. I guess we'll see on Friday.

Even though he lost both of his matches, Daiki Inaba has been growing on me as well. I think he'll have a bright future in the company.

• Like 1

Muto vs Kaito went to time limit draw.

PuroLove

NOAH "N-1 VICTORY 2021", 03.10.2021 (Abema)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Masa Kitamiya, Kotaro Suzuki & Daiki Inaba vs. Akitoshi Saito, Manabu Soya & Kendo Kashin
2. N-1 Victory - Semi Final: Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Kenoh
3. N-1 Victory - Semi Final: Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Masakatsu Funaki
4. Atsushi Kotoge vs. Eita 
5. HAYATA & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Daisuke Harada & Junta Miyawaki
6. Keiji Muto, Masaaki Mochizuki  & Masato Tanaka  vs. Takashi Sugiura, Kazushi Sakuraba & Kazuyuki Fujita
7. N-1 Victory - Final:

I realized Muto/Kiyomiya would go to another time limit draw as soon as the match started. Clearly it's too much to ask of Muto to take a single loss and a draw would be enough for Kiyomiya to advance, so that's the way to go. Well, at least Muto didn't win.

Kenou vs. Mochizuki was the MOTN for me, but Nakajima vs. Sakuraba is well worth a watch, too.

Nice surprise to see Funaki knock out Fujita. Not that I hate Fujita, but Nakajima/Funaki sounds like a good semi-final match on paper.

The directions for both semi-finals and the finals seem obvious, but I don't mind.

Edited by The Z