DVDVR Message Board

The West Wing Appreciation Thread

Zac_Fu

I'm currently shotgunning my way through this series, which has become among my favorites. When I'm done watching this on Netflix I'll be devouring this again on Blu-Ray because I do not want, I need this in my collection. It's simply one of the best television series I've ever seen. I'm almost through Season 3. What do you guys have to say about this gem?

Its not that it is all crap after season 4. There are just a lot of improbable thins after that. Season 7 is a rebound season and it is mostly carried by Alan Alda being awesome!

James

Its not that it is all crap after season 4. There are just a lot of improbable thins after that. Season 7 is a rebound season and it is mostly carried by Alan Alda being awesome!

James

While I really enjoyed Season 7 on the whole, the stuff with Toby really...grated. It didn't seem to fit Toby, who we'd grown used to after all those years.

and the kick off to season 5, after they resolve the storyline that closed season 4 (not going to spoil anything for my boy Zac), with Bartlett taking on the new Speaker of The House was pretty boss. Of course it does feel like the show coasted until seasons  6/7 when Santos and Vinnick show up. I think Season 7 could've used more Ed O'Neil

James

• Like 1

I keep watching clips on Youtube over and over realizing that I need to just rewatch the whole series again.

They really did catch some lightning in a bottle with Alan Alda and to a lesser extent Jimmy Smits.

Halfway through Season 5 and right now, the only thing I'm thinking about is how much they just don't have that same zing Season 4 had (which is now on the short list for greatest show seasons I've ever seen). It really seems like they cut the legs out from a lot of people, and Gary Cole's my dude right now. Although Toby has continued to star.

They really do kinda look like they are meandering until the next big event, whatever that is.

Halfway through Season 5 and right now, the only thing I'm thinking about is how much they just don't have that same zing Season 4 had (which is now on the short list for greatest show seasons I've ever seen). It really seems like they cut the legs out from a lot of people, and Gary Cole's my dude right now. Although Toby has continued to star.They really do kinda look like they are meandering until the next big event, whatever that is.

I'm not sure if you're aware why, but the creator and writer, Aaron Sorkin, was fired after season 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I picked up on that. The more I look back , the more it seemed like they were trying to get their feet under them. And boy did they. 

Season 7 was fucking sensational and THE callback to end all callbacks in the final scene of the show. Deifnitely slots in my Top 10 shows ever. Might be Top 5.

Alan Alda's the man.

There is only 1 episode in Season 5 that feels liek a Sorkin episode and that's "The Supremes". Bartlet's reaction to nominating Christopher Mulready is just classic. "Christopher Mulready? NOOOOOOOO!"

James

• Like 1

A few eps into season 6, and I still think it's fantastic. There were some meandering, figuring out what we're gonna do next eps later on in 5, but it came out of the season with a huge plot that it's carried into 6. I'm just as riveted and enjoying it as much as the rest of the show. Really looking forward to where they go with some of this stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I once said that the last ten minutes of Two Cathedrals was some of the finest television ever committed to film. I still stand by that. However, Election Night parts I and II broke my heart on so many levels it's unreal. Those episodes combined are the most compelling television I've ever watched. Jesus Christ, the brilliance is mind boggling.

I once said that the last ten minutes of Two Cathedrals was some of the finest television ever committed to film. I still stand by that. However, Election Night parts I and II broke my heart on so many levels it's unreal. Those episodes combined are the most compelling television I've ever watched. Jesus Christ, the brilliance is mind boggling.

Fan Fiction doesn't count. (Note: Seasons after 4 are all fan fiction).

Ha. Interesting thing about Election Night if you didn't know.

Before Jon Spencer's death, Vinnick was going to win the election

I heard about that, and it was decided that they didn't want to screw Santos THAT hard. I think the way that resolved that was pretty well thought out. The position and everything.

• Like 1