DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

What good is a current gen port of the game when the game is fucking broken? It’s just going to be the same game but running at a higher frame rate with 4K or some ray tracing options and shit like that.

I much rather them delay Series/PS5 versions and continue to work and fix the bugs and constant crashes etc. Shifting focus to current gen versions isn’t going to magically make all these issues disappear.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

What good is a current gen port of the game when the game is fucking broken? 

It's not broken on current gen.  It's not even out yet.

Development for the port is probably going on as we speak and all lessons (hopefully) learned from previous gen will go into that game and it should be able to take advantage of current gen console bells and whistles. 

Or at least one hopes that the current gen port will be okay given that no one is really sure just how much time CDPR is devoting to its development in relation to the ongoing bug hunt now underway for last gen.

This just reinforces my feeling that this game should not have been released for XB1 / PS4 / et al.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It's broken on the new consoles because it's running the old generation version of the game, yes. They aren't reworking the game from the ground up for PS5/Xbox Series. It's just going to be a copy and paste job with some new features. I think it's far more likely that whatever next/current gen team they have is working on the features that each consoles boasts and stuff like graphics. 

"Oh, your game still crashes? Nevermind that, check out the boosted framerate and these adaptive triggers (on PS5)!"

Full stop, you shouldn't offer a next gen upgrade of an existing title from the old hardware if the game is still broken. All efforts should be focused on fixing that first, THEN working on the PS5/Xbox Series versions. But, that won't happen, because they need to appease their shareholders and give their executives bigger bonuses. 

I admire how you're an optimist, but there's no reason to think that a next gen upgrade will be any better than what we've gotten through backwards compatibility already. IE: see Avengers, The.

The word "but" kinda invalidates your admiration of my optimism so just go ahead and say "I think you're naive and dumb." ?  I can deal with that.

I agree that there should be little if any development on current gen if the game is still broken on last gen, but CDPR has painted itself in a corner by releasing that hilariously unrealistic timetable.  For good or bad, they have committed themselves to their current roadmap.

I'm no game programmer so I can only speculate on how remarkably different the two ports will be, however I deal with resolving issues from legacy systems running on advanced hardware for a living, so I am familiar with the ins and outs of trying to get shit to run on a system it wasn't designed to run on.  That's what tends to make me conclude that some of the issues stem from this current gen game being shoehorned to run on last gen systems.

I also think that CDPR may have messed things up and removed code affecting functionality along with code that removed features from the game (wall walking, the functioning Metro system) but that is whole different conspiracy argument.  New patches breaking more than they fix just makes me conclude that CDPR wasn't really prepped for the rigors of AAA game development.

Edited by J.T.

I don't think you're naïve or dumb or anything. You're allowed to be an optimist about things pertaining to video games. My guy, I still defend Avengers for fucks sake. We're in the same boat here, but for two different titles. Ultimately I think both will come out on the other side better for it, and the games will be good and what they were originally promised to be, but how long that takes is up in the air.

Didn't it come out that Cyberpunk was originally intended to be a PC only game, and it was basically ported to PS4/Xbox One because capitalism? Was that in the Schreier article or whatever? Either way, what I'm getting at here is that: if it wasn't a PC only game, this started years and years ago, so presumably the only tech they had was the current-at-the-time gen dev kits or whatever. Even if PS5 dev kits were floating around out there in 2015 or whenever this game got really started, I believe 1st party studios get first crack at it, and then 2nd party with a more limited access, and it's even more difficult for 3rd party developers to acquire it. At least that's how it was for the PS3 generation, apparently. Things might have changed in the years since. TLDR: If this was always planned to be on consoles as well, there's no excuse for it being this broken, because all they had to work with at the time was the current generation tech. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but yeah. Saying it wasn't designed to run on these consoles doesn't hold water for me if it was indeed always the plan to release it on PS4/Xbox One from the start. But I'm almost positive this started out as a PC game.

Edited by Casey
added the TLDR

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't think you're naïve or dumb or anything. You're allowed to be an optimist about things pertaining to video games. My guy, I still defend Avengers for fucks sake. We're in the same boat here, but for two different titles. Ultimately I think both will come out on the other side better for it, and the games will be good and what they were originally promised to be, but how long that takes is up in the air.

I am just messing with you dude.  We all have a title we will go to bat for no matter what.  I am this close to leaping off of a bridge into the James River over the VtM:Bloodlines 2 shitshow.  I really wanted that game to come out and be really good.  Oh well, maybe in 2025.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Didn't it come out that Cyberpunk was originally intended to be a PC only game, and it was basically ported to PS4/Xbox One because capitalism? 

I believe this is 100% true.  Arguably the reason that the XB1 version runs so well on the S/X is because the S/X is just a glorified high-ish end PC running in a box and designed to use a television as a monitor.  The proprietary hardware of the PS line may be the thing that is keeping 2077 from working properly on those consoles but again, I am no game dev so I am just spitballing here.

However like I said before, I get paid to make shit run on systems it shouldn't be running on, so I am seeing the symptoms from a lot of shit I deal with at work playing out here.

Edited by J.T.

CDPR makes PC games that they just happen to port to consoles because why miss out on extra money. So they're always going to have issues. I also believe that based on when they developed the game, they didn't have access to PS5/(whatever the new Xbox names is) so it was designed to play on the PS4/XBX in theory but when they got to actually working on it, it was a mess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gabriel Amatangelo has been tapped to be 2077's new director.  He will oversee DLC development as well as oversee the update schedule.

BioWare fans may have heard of him as he was in charge of PvP development for SWTOR and was also on the development team for all of the Dragon Age: Inquisition DLCs.

Most people see this as a good sign, but 2077 still remains pretty buggy as of the 1.2.2 release.  

• Like 2

This project clearly got away from CDPR and was too ambitious for them. 

They also made the mistake of over-promising and under-delivering. I remember that gameplay footage where you could do wall running and climbing with the mantis blades.

Just doesn't seem like they were ready for a first-person sci-fi RPG with an open-world, fully populated urban city. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

There aren't enough pub games in 2077 for this to be a Peter Molyneux game.

They're just locked behind buildings/areas that are completely finished, but for whatever reason you can't access them.

(I still love the score for this game - I'm going to buy it, eventually!)

Edited by Casey

There are completed building interiors in GTA that went unused for YEARS (The Nightclubs and that). And some, like the Comedy Club, still haven't been used. But they're still there, under the map.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

They're just locked behind buildings/areas that are completely finished, but for whatever reason you can't access them.

I was actually ragging on Rippa's comparison by poking fun at Molyneux's ridiculous obsession with mini-games in his tiles.

Most video games have one or two mini-games and they usually based on some real life approximate.  Even Pazak in the KOTOR games is easily mastered if you have ever played Uno before and Quasar from the ME games is just Blackjack with a new coat of paint.

It took me MONTHS to get good at Fortune's Tower and Spinnerbox when I was grinding my way through Fable and Fable II.  Leave it to fucking Peter Molyneux to come up with some shit that has its on rule set that takes just as much time to master as it does to beat the actual fucking game.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

So this game is now available on the Playstation Online store for £39.99 (or you can buy it on disc for like £20), but it's recommended that you not play it on a base PS4. They want you to use a PS4 Pro or a PS5. But it's... not out on PS5 yet? So they want you to play the PS4 version on a PS5? And then when the PS version comes out, if you bought it from PSN Store, you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version... this makes no sense.

Although PS5 games usually cost £49.99, not £39.99, so it's actually worth buying the PS4 version and not installing it.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

And then when the PS version comes out, if you bought it from PSN Store, you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version... this makes no sense.

It means you don't have to pay twice for the same game.  If you purchased a copy of the PS4 version, you will get the PS5 optimized version as soon as it is available.

Is Sony only offering the upgrade if you purchase from PSN Store?  That's not the way it's supposed to work.   If you bought hard copy from a game store, you should still receive the free upgrade.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

IIs Sony only offering the upgrade if you purchase from PSN Store?  That's not the way it's supposed to work.   If you bought hard copy from a game store, you should still receive the free upgrade.

So far as I can tell, everyone will be able to upgrade to PS5/Xbox Series X for free.  That's what was promised by CDPR earlier in the year.  Sony hasn't said anything to the contrary and there's nothing in the new listing for the game on the PSN store to indicate they won't honor upgrades for physical edition owners.  The new game listing doesn't address upgrades one way or the other.

I'm kind of interested in the optimized Series X version, but honestly, reviewers are going to have to say great things about it when it comes out to get me to actually buy it.  The game's never really been that high on my radar and even the reviewers who really liked it haven't convinced me it's a personal "must play". 

If you bought Cyberpunk via the Microsoft store and still want a refund, you have until July 6 to so.

Microsoft will be rolling back their exception for the game starting then. After that date, all refunds will follow the standard policy (which is basically they must be made within 14 days of purchase. There are other factors looked at too.)

• 4 weeks later...

CDPR touting increased gameplay via meaningless stats (25% of gamers have reached Maximum Street Cred!) have led to a humorous thread of counter stats like:

- 0% of players can access the Metro system!

- 0% of players wear tank tops while Momowire cyberware is installed because of the broken shoulder mesh!

- 0% of players can shoot from their cars during free roam!

It's quite funny.

• 1 month later...

They're finally fixing Monowire clipping nearly a fucking year after release so I guess I will be pushing through with this fucking game pretty soon after this update drops.

Still no word on next gen version release.

Edited by J.T.

The 1.3 patch went live today.

Yay, I think.

Back to Mafia 3.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, Chaos said:

I'm snagging this today from Best Buy since it's $10. I didn't completely hate the little I played. I hope at some point this is a playable/enjoyable game. 

The current 1.3 patch includes some of the quality of life improvements I've wanted to see in a long time in addition to more bug fixes.

Now's about as good a time as any to fire it up.

Edited by J.T.

• 4 weeks later...

1.31 Update went live today.

Patch Notes:

Gameplay

• Fixed an issue where after upgrading an item with a quest tag, the base version of said item wasn’t removed from the inventory.
  • Fixed an issue where weapon reload speed perks slowed down reload time.
  • Corrected the height of the charged jump.
  • Adjusted enemies’ stealth detection speed dependent on game difficulty.
  • V will no longer get stuck in falling animation when crashing a motorbike while also having “The Rock” perk.

Visual

• Fixed an issue where roads after rain did not look wet, which was the result of ongoing work on the Wet Surfaces System. In 1.31 wet surfaces should look more detailed than they did even before the issue occurred.
  • Removed hair and/or eyebrows in cases where they were set to “off” in earlier game versions.
  • Fixed an issue where shooting with a Tech weapon caused a momentary blinding light.
  • With a Little Help from My Friends — fixed an issue where Carol was missing her tablet or sitting in the air during a scene.

UI

• Returned missing descriptions in Overheat and Short Circuit quickhack tooltips.
  • Returned missing descriptions for Backpacker, Resist!, Osmosis and Footloose clothing mods.

Miscellaneous

• Fixed an issue where players couldn’t claim in-game Registration Rewards due to the error: “A network error has occurred. Please try again later”.

Console-specific

• [PlayStation] GPU memory optimization.
Edited by J.T.