DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

My library has a copy of the PS4 version, so I'm going to snag it and play a couple hours for curiosity's sake.

Save your sanity and wait a few more patches.  It is almost certain that 1.2.1 broke as much as it fixed, so I'd haunt the Cyberpunk boards and watch the media until you get a better sense about how the game is running.

Besides, when Mass Effect: Legendary Edition comes out, you won't really care about this game until late Summer.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, Robert C said:

By then you'll probably need an external USB HD just to store all the patches.  And the game will still be as broke as ever.

Yep.  I fired up a new game just to test some things and it is still as broke AF.  Grey skin glitch is still there for certain items of clothing and there is also an ammo bug.  My ammo count went black after using one single magazine during the intro mission, The Rescue.  Thank God for the 'nades you loot before you engage the scavs.

This game is staying on the shelf until the next patch or until the X/S Optimized version comes via Smart Release.

Edited by J.T.

I’m convinced the PS5/Xbox Series versions won’t come until 2022, and even then it’ll only be a step up graphically and frame rate wise. That’s nice, but if the game still crashes, then that’s a no go for me.

And besides that, Sony still refuses to list it in their store, so.. there’s that.

So, there is a lot to love and hate about the 1.2.1 patch.  Here is some stuff I've noticed while tinkering with a new game.

On the plus side, the game has made improvements to grenades.  There are new icons and the throwing mechanics makes them easier to track when you're using them and (more importantly) if they are being used on you.  The radius for some grenades has been expanded and there is also a brand new Epic class grenade that emits laser beams after its thrown.

Also, all vendors now sell Legendary items (including clothing vendors!) and have expanded the variety of mods and crafting specs they sell.  You can now use the various found Legendary clothing items as material fodder to improve your vendor items if you wish.

I like the tweaking that they've done to police response.  If you come to the aid of NCPD during flashpoints, they will sometimes shout instructions to you.  If they tell you to stand down and you comply by holstering your weapon and let them handle the rest of the fight, they do not appear to aggro on you.  I'll continue to test this to see if it holds true for every occasion.

The most dramatic improvement is that cars will now react to you if you are an asshole pedestrian by honking or swerving to avoid you if you are in the street.  Fucking finally.

Also, V finally sleeps length wise in bed with his head on the pillow instead of collapsing across the mattress.

On the negative side, there are still numerous clipping issues with characters and vehicles.   After I parked my car to head off to see Viktor in the Ripperdoc mission, I noticed that Jackie was able to walk straight through the vehicle.  I am sure that is not the only issue with NPCs.

The vehicle clipping issues are pretty amusing.  If you summon your car and it clips into another vehicle after it stops, the car it clips into will be heavily damaged and may also be violently thrown into the air.

There are still grey skin issues with some articles of clothing.  

The loot tables have also been switched around so important items might not be in the hidey hole you found them before this patch.   I was surprised to find an Epic baseball bat in the place I usually find the Legendary Monowire cyberware stashed away.

Also, the Street Cred level for some items has been raised.  Rare and Epic cyberdecks, for instance, are now SC12, so if you are like me and like to min/max Access Point hacks to supplement your revenue early in the game, you're going to have to grind SC and eddies until you can install a 6 or 7 buffer cyberdeck that will allow you to efficiently datamine Access Points.  This sucks.

The Militech encrypted cred chip you receive from Meredith Stout during The Pickup cannot be decrypted for extra money after you hand it over to Royce.  If you want to keep the eddies, you're going to have to take the Flathead by force and then buy and install a cyberdeck capable of decrypting the data shard.

Also the pathing bug you were able to exploit during the Kabuki fight with the twins during the Beat the Brat missions unfortunately has been fixed.  I was still able to win the fight by pretty much backing myself into a corner and counterpunching as much as possible. but the encounter is no longer the cakewalk it was when you could use the exploit.

So yeah, the game is not quiet as broken as it was, but it is still very broken.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It might be a financial flop in one way at least, though the impact won’t be seen for years. I figure they’re gonna have to work pretty damn hard to sell their next game.  Much harder than they had to with this one. 

I know they said that Witcher 3 was it for Geralt but for the reason you mentioned above I think they may have to walk that one back and play it safe. And I will absolutely not complain. Don't think a remaster of the first two would suffice at this point in time either. 

Technically, Cyberpunk 2077 will continue to be under development until the final DLC and next gen versions for S/X and PS5 are released, so it's hard to say how much this will continue to cut into last year's sales.  I think the profitability of Cyberpunk 2077 is still in question.

CDPR won't see a dime for DLC unless they break their promise not to charge for them and they only way they will see revenue from next gen versions if consumers buy it off of the shelf.   People who already own current gen copies of the game should receive next gen updates at no cost.

CDPR is planning a *chuckle" Game of the Year release of Cyberpunk 2077 supposedly to coincide with the free DLC downloads.   As far as I know, the GOTY game will cover the 1.2.2 release and maybe include any and all future hotfixes released up until the DLC come out.  There are still quite a few glaring visual and mechanical bugs in the game that really need to be fixed before this thing can be called square and there is no major patch release on CDPR's timeline past the 1.2 patch.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

CDPR is planning a *chuckle" Game of the Year release of Cyberpunk 2077 supposedly to coincide with the free DLC downloads.   

More power to em.  Just be sure to put a prefix on that title.  Most Disappointing seems to fit, though I'm sure plenty of others would as well.

It just make me laugh because I have fired up temporary games after every fix, and the Game of the Year release will be nearly as broken as the initial drop if it will be released as the 1.2.2 version.

From Evelyn Parker's purse being stuck to her hand to vehicles mysteriously spawning and flipping over sideways and installed monowire cyberware breaking the shoulder mesh on the male and female character models, the 1.2.2 version of this game is still pretty fucked up and there isn't another comprehensive bug fix planned for the immediate future of the Cyberpunk 2077 lifecycle.

Edited by J.T.

I do sorta wish I waited years to play CP 2077 like I did with the Witcher 3. I know Witcher 3 had it's on rugged history on consoles until they worked on it enough to make it good. By the time I got to it, it was basically perfect and it's still one of the best games I've ever played.

CP 2077 probably wouldn't have hit those same highs because ultimately the story and relationships you build don't compare to Witcher 3, but it would have been a whole lot better than it is now.

So folks, in 2023 or whatever when the PS Store or the XBox store discounts the ultimate bundle down to $20 or $30, pick this up?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Witcher 3 Director / Cyberpunk 2077 Key Staffer Resigns After Workplace Bullying Investigation (screenrant.com)

I am going to take this as good news.  Negative element removed from company / back to the business of fixing this game.

He was cleared by an investigation, but apologized to employees and quit anyway.

I dunno.  I don't think it is necessarily good news (though, since I wasn't there and no very little of what actually transpired, I don't feel I have enough information to have an opinion either way).

55 minutes ago, Eoae said:

He was cleared by an investigation, but apologized to employees and quit anyway.

Yeah.  Men who are actually innocent and are vindicated by inquiry tend not to apologize or quit their jobs. 

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah.  Men who are actually innocent and are vindicated by inquiry tend not to apologize or quit their jobs. 

Maybe?  I mean, it's not out of the question.  Maybe he felt bad and realized he didn't have the trust of his team going forward.  Or maybe he remembered that he directed Witcher 3 and can probably find another job in the industry and realized he mostly wanted his team to go to Hell.  Or maybe he is guilty and his "resignation" is damage control (this is probably how my firm would handle it).  I dunno.  I've got practically no information to go on here, so it's kind of hard for me to pretend I have an informed opinion. 

Edited by Eoae
typos

Okay, so the Militech Datashard isn't broken after all.  The guys that write the patch notes for CDPR are like the same horrible tech writers that I have to deal with whenever we get new IAVAs.

So, before the 1.2 hotfix the funds on the datashard that Meredith Stout gives you to pay for the Flathead could be accessed simply by going into the Shards section of your Journal and cracking the decryption with the buffer overload minigame thingie.

Now, you actually have an inventory item called Militech Datashard. When you crack the encryption of the Militech Datashard entry in the Shards section of your Journal, it doesn't appear to have any effect.  However, if you go into your inventory and use the All Items filter, you'll notice that there is an item called the Hacked Militech Datashard.  If you hover the cursor over it, you will see a Transfer Money option and all you have to do hit the controller button corresponding to that option.

Edited by J.T.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:46 AM, Craig H said:

So folks, in 2023 or whatever when the PS Store or the XBox store discounts the ultimate bundle down to $20 or $30, pick this up?

Sure, if it's back on the PS Store by then ?

• Like 1

Clearly I don't feel sorry for CD PROJEKT RED as a company due to all the reasons that are obvious, but I do feel bad for the workers themselves. The glitches here and there I had little issue with as that's every open world game made these days at launch, and my playing experience was generally fine aside from the crash every two hours that PS5 had. And my brother played on a gaming PC, he had no big issues at all of note. I'd still put it as one of the more fun games I played in 2020 and I played through three different endings as I did like the story. It is a pretty damn good game and you can tell how hard people worked on it. But the poor effort to optimize it last gen (which is inexcusable) and the company's reaction to it will be what it is known for which is a shame but understandable for such a hyped release.

I hope the actual workers in the company (developers, QA testers, story writers, etc.) can sleep well knowing they did put out a quality game in design and just got screwed over by the higher-ups that were more hungry for profits than waiting another six months to put out a more polished game. Hopefully lessons will be learned but I doubt it, as games get bigger and more sophisticated I fear we haven't seen the last of it.

I think this game should've been developed for next gen anyway, so I am not so much upset about the crappy current gen development as I am about the idea that all of this time and effort spent on fixing current get could've gone to getting next gen out before 2022. 

I really don't think that CDPR will get the next gen port out before the end of the year and unless the DLC introduces fixes that drastically improve playability, I won't devote any major time to this game until the next gen release.  

There most certainly shouldn't be any bonuses handed out until current gen is 99% fixed.  Here we are at 1.22 and there are still serious issues with this game.  I fire up test plays after every patch to see if I can note any improvements, but I usually end up finding the things that the new hotfix has broken.  It's almost like a demented Easter Egg hunt to start up a new game and find freshly broken things like missing textures in buildings and roads or notice that some items like weapons or Evelyn Parker's purse get stuck to the hands of female models.

• Like 1

We probably have different standards (which is fine of course), since it came out in November when current gen was impossible to find I still think them releasing it so broken on the consoles that 75% of people were going to play on (made up number) is their biggest sin. I can deal with some missing textures or model glitches, I've always been pretty lenient with that as long as the gameplay itself is solid, it doesn't really bother me. But the mess it was on last gen (which was barely last gen when it came out and were the consoles it actually launched on) was what I find inexcusable. And that's the part I don't blame on the underlings, it clearly needed more 'cooking' so to speak or like you said should have been delayed a bit and strictly been a PS5/Xbox Series release (which they'd never have done due to lost sales).

Missing textures and model glitches just screams either "we're totally new at this and have no idea what we're doing," or "we're not really serious about fixing this game."  I can deal with the former as long as there is a genuine effort to eventually deliver a working product, but I still think that it takes time away from putting the next gen port on store shelves before the end of the year.

I'll continue to occasionally tinker with the game after patch releases, but I'm not going to put any serious effort into beating 2077 until the S/X optimized version comes out.... hopefully with far fewer bugs than this version.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2