DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Definitely disappointed with the game. The bugs/crashes haven't been too bad for me, but the lack of features and immersion because of it is not great. Probably going to play it through once and leave it for a few months, before coming back to play it on the other two styles. Hopefully it will be a more in-depth game by then. 

None of the stores are open, can't buy food from many vendors, can't play pachinko, can't load braindances outside of missions... and the game is surprisingly tame for all the hype about genital customisation and the tropes of ultra sexualisation within the genre. 

Solid gun and stealth gameplay though, so it's not a total loss even at the moment.

It sounds like you should just play Yakuza.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

All firearms are lethal as are bladed weapons.   You have equip a gun with the Pax weapon mod for its shots to be converted to non-lethal damage.

Melee damage from physical attacks (punches, kincks) is non-lethal as are takedowns from behind if you specify the choke-out over the neck snap.

AFAIK, most blunt melee weapons like shock sticks are non lethal, but I imagine that you could kill a person with a baseball bat or a sledgehammer if you hit them enough times just like in real life.

There are also some non-lethal combat gadgets like flashbangs, EMP grenades, and biochem grenades.

That makes sense.  Also explains why I didn't know - I haven't modded anything yet.  I also haven't done anything with the cyber stuff besides the one thing you have to do.

Stealth breaks pretty quickly when you get the quickhack that turns someone's eyes off for a few seconds, from what I've heard.

I was thinking my Wolverine build was a little too much until I started fighting gangs that were above me in level that the game forgot to tag with a skull.  I died a LOT last night.

Does Sony normally give refunds?  I didn't think PSN store purchases were eligible for refunds, but it's not something I've ever thought about so I'm not sure if I know they don't or am just assuming that. 

I don't really have any opinion about the game one way or the other, but I am incredulous that a Triple-A studio has handled it this badly and seems determined to compound their mistakes.  Wonder how much interest there will be when the PS5/Xbox Series versions finally roll out?  

Edited by Eoae
typo

Anyone else running into an issue where nearly every enemy has a skull above their head? Outside of the first mission or two of the prologue, I haven't been able to legitimately kill anyone. I basically take the first shot and the 7 motherfuckers gun me down in a second. If it's not that, then my weapons do practically no damage, even to people who are mostly naked. I feel like either my game is bugged because I started out on hard mode, dropped it down to normal, and it still acts like I'm on hard mode, or my specs are all fucked up and shitty. That's kinda why I did the money exploit because I'm starting to think I'm going to need to re-start the game on normal and spec differently.

2 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I'm almost positive that weapon types don't matter for the cyberpsychosis missions.  The ones that I've done with lethal weapons the text messages still say the person I've fought is still alive.

Yet another bug!

Reminds me of the continuity bug in Dragon Age:  Origins where the Codex says that Arlessa of Redcliff sacrificed herself to save her son..... even if you are able to perform the exorcism ritual without her blood.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Stealth breaks pretty quickly when you get the quickhack that turns someone's eyes off for a few seconds, from what I've heard.

Stealth breaks if you fail a breach hack or if you succeed with an intrusive hack like Reboot Optics.

if you have a low Body stat and are struggling against the Kabuki Twins in Fred's fight club mission line, this little strat will help you get past this one mission without pouring points into Athletics or investing in a Melee mod.  It feels like a glitch, so get it done before it gets patched.

I just tried it and the strat worked like a charm.  My only regret is that I didn't have enough Eddies to bet 2K.

Edited by J.T.

I've managed to address the screwed up lighting conditions a bit with a few tweaks to the HDR settings in the game and adjusting minimum brightness on my console.  The game hates the Auto-HDR settings on my television, so I have actually had to switch to the Game setting to improve the quality of the rendering.  I've never had to do that for any other game I've owned and played on my 4K.

I've also encountered a dialogue bug where key NPCs and some NPCs who have background conversations will suddenly go mute.  I can see what they're saying in the subtitles, but their lips don't move and they don't have any audible dialogue. Reloading a save does not correct the issue. 

I managed to fix it, so I would recommend not using Instant Reset to launch the game.   Be sure to quit out of the game completely when you are done and relaunch it when you begin playing again.

Edited by J.T.

I'll have to try that out. I got whooped on by them no matter how successful I was at parrying and counterstriking.

I'm currently sitting at close to 300k Eddies and I started finding some more success with combat in the game last night. I really just needed to break out of the mindset that this is GTA with stats and abilities and started thinking of it as futuristic Witcher. That sounds like a dumb thing to finally realize, but it at least helps because like in the Witcher, there are areas you can stumble into where everything will fuck you up and areas where you're going to be pretty safe while fighting. Last night I wound up finding a few areas where side jobs and other stuff all had a moderate difficulty level. All of the other random crimes and enemies in that area were also of the same level.

As far as bugs go and crashes, no bugs in my playtime last night, but the game crashed about three times. I swear the game would only crash whenever I wasn't being diligent about manually saving. None of the crashes impacted me much. They only ever happened as I completed a side job on the map or killed a cyberpsycho. The one fight against a cyberpsycho was particularly freaky. I don't want to give much away about what happened, but it involved a ritual sacrifice, someone rising from the dead and fighting me butt naked, and my optics kept glitching out. All the while Johnny would pop up and talk shit. It was one of the first cool, random experiences I had in the game. It has been days since I did an actual mission because I've been finding fun discovering shit like that.

Oh, and fuck encumbrance. I thought I wouldn't run into issues with that in this game and I was constantly over-encumbered last night. It makes me wish there were an option in your inventory to select and junk multiple guns.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, and fuck encumbrance. I thought I wouldn't run into issues with that in this game and I was constantly over-encumbered last night. It makes me wish there were an option in your inventory to select and junk multiple guns.

There might be something in the Crafting skillset that allows you to do that, but I only plan on investing so much into Crafting.  I just need to get to Grease Monkey so that I can tinker Legendary items together.  I've been grinding Crafting experience points by junking items and using materials to craft ammo for my weapons.  It came in handy during the Maelstrom mission.

I'm also starting to notice all the stuff that didn't make It into the game:  No random hook-ups to take back to your crib, metro line was replaced by a fast travel system, female total nudity only (I don't need to see a bunch of full frontal naked dudes, but I look pretty dumb showering with my briefs on), and of course no wall walking if you have Mantis Blades installed. 

I wonder what else didn't make the final cut and if anything will be reinstated in future DLC?

Edited by J.T.

From the videos I watched, that's the way to go because unless you're finding money exploits, you're not going to be purchasing many legendary or iconic guns. It's better to just get to a point where you can craft them yourself and save the money.

Oh, back to the money exploit I talked about yesterday or the day before that, it has honestly only lead to one huge purchase that I wouldn't have been able to get for a long while, and that's a double jump mod for my legs. That thing cost me about $45k I think. Other than that, I'm only wearing and using guns I craft and guns and clothing I find after fights. It leads to me wearing a samurai helmet, a spikey jacket, boxing shorts, and combat boots so I wind up looking like a dumber Shotzi Blackheart, but at least it was all free. I was also lucky enough to find one of the guns where the bullets auto-target enemies and THAT feels like straight up cheating. I honestly don't know if I go to another gun that doesn't have smart bullets.

I hear ya on the customization.  The better looking items of clothing that I have seen tend to have the worst stats.  I'm sporting Wolf School leather jacket and t-shirt you can get for free if you register your game with CDPR.

I've got a decent looking pair of jeans and boots and a pair of sunglasses I got from a dead Tyger Claw dude I murdered while doing NCPD's job for them, but the armor value is slowly being slowly outstripped by the random items of clothing I've found on dead enemies and the clothing stores I've been in all sell either garbage or good stuff I can't afford or don't want to by because I'm saving money for the ripperdoc.

It's hard to maintain the Rule of Cool when you're running around with odd gear.

Edited by J.T.

Well, damn.

I got a personal response from CDPR.  Apparently it was their intention for there to be full in game nudity but the requirements for an M-Rating vary from country to country, so if they wanted to avoid another huge delay they had to boxers on male toons and the default setting for for pubes had to be zero since viewable pubes are taboo in some Asian societies..  

It was either that, accept an AO rating, or an outright ban in some countries.  You can view your character full frontal in the inventory, but most characters in the game world will be somewhat censored.  V will also be covered up in photo mode.

There is talk of possibly allowing players to adjust immodesty according to region, but that is the least of the things that ail this game.  These fuckers need to put priority on game killing bugs and the horribly broken HRD settings.

I'm pretty close to setting this thing down until a true current gen version is available via Smart Delivery.

Edited by J.T.

Completed the main story. Holy shit that epilogue goes on for a LONG time. And the gameplay is not fun. 

Spoiler

Which seems to be intentional for the storyline you're in at that moment. But it goes on far too long. As do all the other parts of the game where your character is not in control, half-dead etc.

I hate all those missions in open world games where you're incapacitated through either, alcohol, drugs, scarecrow dust, or faulty cyberware. I just want to get on with things! Don't make me follow behind some badly realised stupid AI character for 15 mins before I get a cutscreen to a hangover. 

Now I think about it, I realise I have a catchphrase when playing games. "Just let me shoot things!" 

Having said that, regardless of its faults, I am enjoying the gameplay.

I haven't bought or made anything, so I'm running around in whatever I find that has the best stats.  My female (who JT will be shocked to learn has purple hair and way too much tattooing) is wearing a leather cap with goggles attached to it that looks like something the Nazis in the desert portion of Raiders of the Lost Ark would've worn.  That's paired with a pair of green tinted Terminator style glasses.  She has some sort of bulletproof vest, worn under a grey granny style cardigan.  The look is completed by cream colored short shorts and a pair of black leather that include, for some reason, knee pads.  I'm kinda glad this is in first person.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Now I think about it, I realise I have a catchphrase when playing games. "Just let me shoot things!" 

Having said that, regardless of its faults, I am enjoying the gameplay.

You can shoot your way out of most combat situations, but the game definitely to prefer that you use stealth and hacks and that may shoehorn your approach to a lot of situations.

With everyone and their brother packing a firearm, I need to find the best way to train physical melee and grind free Athletics points.  Fist fights that are not a part of Fred's quest line are few and far between and punching a random street person is grounds for police action.

Edited by J.T.

Other random notes

- I realized last night that I'm pretty much playing as Johnny.  I killed a bunch of Tiger Claws to rescue some guy.  The guy was ungrateful.  Then Johnny showed up.  Said he was stupid to be ungrateful but at least we got all this cool loot off the bodies.  Damn right we did.  Don't bother taking over.  Let's make this thing a partnership.

- I have never hated driving in any game as much as I do in this.  To further complicate things, I stole one of those big cars with four wheels in front last night.  Couldn't see over the damn steering wheel.  I guess I needed a cushion or something.

- Maybe I should've waited to shoot that big tank I was supposed to blow up until I had moved away from it

- I did not expect to see (very minor spoilers) in this game:

Spoiler

Eddie Pulaski 

Edited by Robert C

2 minutes ago, Robert C said:

- I have never hated driving in any game as much as I do in this.  To further complicate things, I stole one of those big cars with four wheels in front last night.  Couldn't see over the damn steering wheel.  I guess I needed a cushion or something.

I don't drive in first person.  I always operate vehicles from overhead if I am driving.

Yeah, I never drive in first person. I actually think driving is mostly fine. It's been days since I got stuck on the environment. I pretty much exclusively use Jackie's motorcycle and I think that's the best way of getting around.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I don't drive in first person.  I always operate vehicles from overhead if I am driving.

I had one of my few glitches and it caused me to not be able to switch cameras while riding my motorcycle.  It is the scariest thing I've ever done in a videogame.

I know that the glitches exist and are a huge problem, but I've had very few issues and as a result I'm loving this game.  My biggest problem so far is that my character is a woman and Panam is only interested in male characters.  Honestly, it made me want to start all over again, lol.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm always tossing grenades.  I wish there were a better way to swap out grenade types because I am always tossing frags when I intended to use a flashbang.

I toss grenades all over the place, especially after I got the perk that I can't harm myself with my own grenades.  Going back to crafting, you never run out of grenades, bullets, and always have the best mods if you craft.  Not only that, you never run out of money because crafted items are worth more than the sum of their parts.  

One of my biggest pet peeves in all video games that is always infuriating is when the game wants you to follow someone, but that person walks at the slowest possible pace.