DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

Picked up a copy of The World of Cyberpunk 2077 yesterday at B&N and noticed that the full body cyborg guard in the Ex-Corpo part of the Lifepaths video is confirmed to be Adam Smasher from the Cyberpunk 2020 lore.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Do game delays ever alleviate crunch?  I've read a number of interviews with developers who said that pushing back a game's release date just extended the length of crunch time.  Even with the delays, they still ended up working ridiculous hours right up until release day,

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

Do game delays ever alleviate crunch?  I've read a number of interviews with developers who said that pushing back a game's release date just extended the length of crunch time.  Even with the delays, they still ended up working ridiculous hours right up until release day,

There probably isn't a yes or no answer here.  I work on the hardware side, not software, but I'm guessing my experience is somewhat similar.  It depends on the nature of the delay. 

If it's a global thing, where the schedule was screwed from the start, or things just went wrong in general, then it's probably just gonna prolong everybody's pain. 

If it's a situation where something specific wasn't planned or executed correctly, then the pain is usually gonna be limited to the folks working on that specific part of the project.  Things tend to calm down for lower level folks that aren't involved and don't get roped in to help.  Sometimes they'll shift a bunch of people to other projects before the problem is even resolved.  For the folks directly involved, life REALLY sucks.  You get to watch everybody else ramping down.  Meanwhile, you get shit on while working 80 hour weeks.

This isn't a WHAT ABOUT kind of thing but it might sound like it, sorry if it does.

I wish people would get as mad about film/tv production as they do about this.  It's worse, more frequent, and the unions only protect a very small amount of people in regards to the industry as a whole and don't give a shit about non members.

But it's kind of "Yeah this is the shit I signed up for" with movie people and video game people are more like "I DIDNT SIGN UP FOR THIS SHIT!" so it's kind of weird that they're so different when they're actually super alike in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

So, the developers have come out and said that this game is shorter than The Witcher III because they got so many complaints about the length of that game.  I have to say, I welcome this, because I'm 150 hours into Persona 5 Royal, and I'm thoroughly tired of this shit.  I don't know if I need to ever play a game this long again.  I like Persona 5 Royal...I just don't give a fuck any more.

• Like 1

How much shorter than the Witcher 3?

I don't have a problem if the actual main quest takes around 20 hours to complete, but there should be around 40 to 80 more hours of good side quest content.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How much shorter than the Witcher 3?

I don't have a problem if the actual main quest takes around 20 hours to complete, but there should be around 40 to 80 more hours of good side quest content.

They said the main story is slightly shorter.  They also said there is plenty of other stuff to do outside of the main story.  I honestly don't if a game is super long with side content, because it is side content.  I don't like it when you have to play 100+ hours to get through the main story.  

Honestly, I miss lonnggg games.  I understand the complaints because a lot of gamers are older and have to fit around work and family commitments, but there were a lot of 80-100 games during the PS1 era that I enjoyed thoroughly.  I'm still surprised how many triple A, story-driven games come out that can be completed in 20-30 hours or less.

Nothing wrong with short, story-driven games.  I've played a lot of great indie titles that can be completed in a couple hours.  I just got used to epic RPG's and what-not during the PS1 days.

Although, my fear is that if we start getting back to 100 hr. rpgs and open-world adventures, it won't be because they're gripping games that deserve that time commitment.  Instead, it will be because developers have a lot of memory and processing power to play with and we start getting bloated, poorly designed epics.  So maybe less really is better.

I don't try to do every side quest or collect trophies, so I rarely get near 100 hours.  Witcher 3 is the only game I can think of that I've actually played for more than 100 hours in the past 15 years or so.

29 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Honestly, I miss lonnggg games.  I understand the complaints because a lot of gamers are older and have to fit around work and family commitments, but there were a lot of 80-100 games during the PS1 era that I enjoyed thoroughly.  I'm still surprised how many triple A, story-driven games come out that can be completed in 20-30 hours or less.

Nothing wrong with short, story-driven games.  I've played a lot of great indie titles that can be completed in a couple hours.  I just got used to epic RPG's and what-not during the PS1 days.

Although, my fear is that if we start getting back to 100 hr. rpgs and open-world adventures, it won't be because they're gripping games that deserve that time commitment.  Instead, it will be because developers have a lot of memory and processing power to play with and we start getting bloated, poorly designed epics.  So maybe less really is better.

I don't try to do every side quest or collect trophies, so I rarely get near 100 hours.  Witcher 3 is the only game I can think of that I've actually played for more than 100 hours in the past 15 years or so.

Seriously, If your game is over 100 hours you need to pack it with more interesting content than any game I've ever played.  Seriously, Red Dead Redemption 2 can be finished in under 100 hours and there is more to do in that game than pretty much any game ever made.  Like I said before, I'm 150+ hours into Persona 5 Royal and it's a great game...there is just no reason for it to be that long.  The game would be just as good and the story would have been much more effective if it was about half as long.  I've gotten to the point where I've maxed out all the relationships, all my stats, and everything else that filled the free time in this game, but I still have to play through every day to go through the motions until the game ends.  That's not to mention the time you spend at the bathhouse, or reading books, or doing a bunch of other stuff that lengthens the game without really adding anything of value.  I'd rather developers remove all the fat and present a 50-60 hour epic game instead of adding fat and making a 100+ hour game.

• Like 1

I've really brought into the hype for this game so I hope it delivers, really excited for it.

I love long games but only if they make it interesting. Witcher 3 was my favorite game of this console generation, I found every minute of the 150 hours I played it incredibly fun, but Red Dead 2 bored the hell out of me and I stopped playing 20 hours into it. So I'm not advocating all games to be super long but if they can pull it off I love getting that type of return on my investment.

That being said, if all told its a 60 to 80 hour game I'm fine with that, I just don't want a 10 hour experience for a AAA blockbuster that is a full priced game (which I don't think will be an issue here).

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I've really brought into the hype for this game so I hope it delivers, really excited for it.

I love long games but only if they make it interesting. Witcher 3 was my favorite game of this console generation, I found every minute of the 150 hours I played it incredibly fun, but Red Dead 2 bored the hell out of me and I stopped playing 20 hours into it. So I'm not advocating all games to be super long but if they can pull it off I love getting that type of return on my investment.

That being said, if all told its a 60 to 80 hour game I'm fine with that, I just don't want a 10 hour experience for a AAA blockbuster that is a full priced game (which I don't think will be an issue here).

Red Dead 2, a game I absolutely love and is probably my game of the generation, would have been even better if there was a fast travel system.  The amount of time you spend riding a horse from destination to destination is fucking absurd.  I feel like we're polar opposites, because Witcher 3 is the game that made me quit within 20 hours.  I really wanted to like that game, but I didn't like the combat and I had so many missions that I wasn't strong enough to do, but felt more interesting than the missions I was doing.

36 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Red Dead 2, a game I absolutely love and is probably my game of the generation, would have been even better if there was a fast travel system.  The amount of time you spend riding a horse from destination to destination is fucking absurd.  I feel like we're polar opposites, because Witcher 3 is the game that made me quit within 20 hours.  I really wanted to like that game, but I didn't like the combat and I had so many missions that I wasn't strong enough to do, but felt more interesting than the missions I was doing.

I've gotten to the point where if a game doesn't have a good fast travel system I'm probably not going to play it. Its 2020 and I'm a 37 year old that works 70+ hours a week, if I have an hour to squeeze in some video games I don't want to spend half of it walking (or riding) slowly from place to place. I know they do it for artistic reasons but as far I am concerned they can use that artistic creativity in a way that doesn't waste precious minutes of my life ?

• 3 weeks later...

Guess that means I get to play Assassin's Creed first. They did some really poor planning with their timeline, I am all for developers making sure games are done before releasing but having so many delays shows a deeper issue. I just hope the game delivers.