DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 11/01/13

victor

Per the 9/2 Raw recap on Lordsofpain.net:

"(Triple H) says the fans are causing Bryan to confuse popularity with what's best for business. Triple H brings up Doink the Clown and says he was wildly popular but there was a big reason why Doink was never WWE Champion - because it would have been bad for business."

"(Triple H) says the fans are causing Bryan to confuse popularity with what's best for business. Triple H brings up Doink the Clown and says he was wildly popular but there was a big reason why Doink was never WWE Champion - because it would have been bad for business."

Doink was never wildly popular ever, unless you want to count this board fifteen years after the fact.  Doink was popular in that Vince McMahon "Ha Ha HAAAAA!!" mode where the more he laughed, the more desperate he sounded.  If fans reacted the way Vince wanted to, who knows how far he could have gone.

Fuck him. Doink shoulda been champion.

Heel Doink was awesome, but what made him awesome was so ahead of its time that Vince would never have gotten it.  And when fans started to take to him, Vince took the completely opposite reasons why, and made him the waste of space that he became.  He was a psycho in clown makeup who could wrestle you and destroy you while he looked stupid.  Then he turned into a legit comedy wrestler who pandered to everybody because he was a clown.  And the whole point was lost.

How is that the start of a babyface turn for Ambrose? He's being an arrogant shit. 

I guess i just assumed since they seem to be keeping Rollins & Reigns together, and Ambrose looks more like the babyface type. 

I'm the exact opposite.

Reigns is the one with huge superstar babyface potential, and Rollins seems like he'd be a good babyface

Ambrose seems like a natural heel to me

I expect them to both turn on Ambrose.  I'm hoping it doesn't happen too soon, and that they don't botch it and the followup the way they did when they split up Legacy.

I could also see them doing a deal where just Reigns splits off, and they keep The Shield around with Ambrose, Rollins and a new member.  It's a great gimmick that probably has a longer shelf life than just the original 3, as long as they keep Ambrose as the leader

Doink was never wildly popular ever, unless you want to count this board fifteen years after the fact.  Doink was popular in that Vince McMahon "Ha Ha HAAAAA!!" mode where the more he laughed, the more desperate he sounded.  If fans reacted the way Vince wanted to, who knows how far he could have gone.

Fuck him. Doink shoulda been champion.

Heel Doink was awesome, but what made him awesome was so ahead of its time that Vince would never have gotten it.  And when fans started to take to him, Vince took the completely opposite reasons why, and made him the waste of space that he became.  He was a psycho in clown makeup who could wrestle you and destroy you while he looked stupid.  Then he turned into a legit comedy wrestler who pandered to everybody because he was a clown.  And the whole point was lost.

Doink wasn't wildly popular, but he was a popular character for a while, mainly with kids.  The fact that the gimmick is still around 20 years later on random indy shows speaks to that.  There's a million paint or mask gimmicks to throw on random guys, but that's one that's drawn for indies

I could see Reigns and Rollins eventually getting tired of Ambrose's shit, and up and leaving. Forming a new Shield, or Dean does that and brings up 2 guys from NXT instead of just the one. Don't know who that could be, though.

All of that talk about a Unification match between Cena and Orton.. am I the only one wanting Big E. to do it instead, with the US and IC titles? They're near pointless anyway, but I just love me some Big E. He hasn't held gold yet, right? I'm also sure he hasn't, besides NXT.

I could see Reigns and Rollins eventually getting tired of Ambrose's shit, and up and leaving. Forming a new Shield, or Dean does that and brings up 2 guys from NXT instead of just the one. Don't know who that could be, though.

All of that talk about a Unification match between Cena and Orton.. am I the only one wanting Big E. to do it instead, with the US and IC titles? They're near pointless anyway, but I just love me some Big E. He hasn't held gold yet, right? I'm also sure he hasn't, besides NXT.

1 man...

2 titles...

5 seconds...

Book it. NOW!

Man, Cesaro looks like a total beast in there.  If Swagger didn't have the stench of failure, I could see them pushing them to the moon as a tag.  I really hope they give Cesaro a chance to shine at some point. 

That crowd was loving Goldust.  I hope he stays healthy because any of the middle and younger guys have a great guy to work programs with to really learn stuff.

I am sad it looks like they are going to break up the Shield.  It seems like the only group they've booked well in a year.  I really hope they have someone in mind to put Reigns with to make him look great as a single.  He needs a Fit Finlay type program to work around the horn like they did with Batista.

I only came in on the main event and it was damn good despite the crazy finisher overdose at the end. WWE is going JCP/World Class/All Japan at this rate with the tags and I love it.

I wonder if Teddy Long has locked himself in a dark room somewhere, we haven't seen him in a while...

That main event ruled. Seemed refreshing to have Cena on SD and mixing it up with different guys. Goldust had another fantastic face in peril performance. Loved Cena's spear on Swagger on the outside, that looked great. As well as the AA countered into gutwrench from Cesaro and Cena taking the pop up euro uppercut.. good stuff. Nice to see a big main event six man like this even without the Shield involved.

I am sad it looks like they are going to break up the Shield.  It seems like the only group they've booked well in a year.  I really hope they have someone in mind to put Reigns with to make him look great as a single.  He needs a Fit Finlay type program to work around the horn like they did with Batista.

Well, Goldust is right there, and I think Christian is available (or at least will be soon). If you want to turn him face, though, it gets a little tougher, since The Shield have been THE consistent upper midcard heels you're looking for with something like this. I think your only choice is Del Rio. Orton and Cesaro are too high/low on the card for a first program despite probably being better match-ups.

As far as The Shield splitting goes, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, they're awesome and still have some mileage left as a group. On the other hand, stable break-ups are part of the natural cycle of wrestling and it's probably better for a group to leave you wanting more than to overstay its welcome and become a burden like the NWO. I think they missed a big opportunity for a proper break-up by not having one of them win MITB back in July (especially seeing how they wasted it on Sandow and cheapened the entire MITB gimmick in the process). The logical way to break up the "ultimate team" would've been to have one  be tempted by individual glory. You could've had the tension building for months while they were still having great matches together to keep it from feeling like stalling or indecisive writing. A proper slow-burn, if you will.

Big E is so much better as a face, he's kinda like your stereotypical WWF/E face but it doesnt seems forced. I really like how the teased Riegns and Big E, I dont really see SHIELD splitting but maybe I'm Niave.

I want Cesaro vs Cena, Cena didnt run through him like I thought & the commentators really got him over as being one of strongest guys on the roster. Goldust is amazing and the best performer on the roster.