DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: SEMIFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

It's funny because, outside of Lakers fanatics/Vogel, I didn't see much outcry about the refs when Lebron had 2 free throws and Jerami Grant had like 12 free throws in Game 3, which at the time (before Game 4, of course) was more free throws in one game than Lebron had the entire series.  Game 4 comes along and now I'm seeing much more concern about the refs.

There were definitely bad calls (just like in Game 2, which was more favorable to Denver than the Lakers), but you know what really would help The Nuggets in Game 4?  Grabbing a damn defensive rebound.  The Lakers got slaughtered on the boards in game 3, and Denver had a whole bunch of trouble in game 4 on that end.  Old school.

Edited by _MJ_

The biggest fallacy commonly held by basketball fans is that equal free throw attempts equals good refereeing, and any discrepancy can only be explained by incompetence or malice, and not that teams play different styles of offense, and some legitimately commit more fouls than others. (This isn't even a commentary on the above case specifically. In a world with perfect refs, teams would--and should--shoot a different number of free throws.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

The biggest fallacy commonly held by basketball fans is that equal free throw attempts equals good refereeing, and any discrepancy can only be explained by incompetence or malice, and not that teams play different styles of offense, and some legitimately commit more fouls than others. (This isn't even a commentary on the above case specifically. In a world with perfect refs, teams would--and should--shoot a different number of free throws.)

Unless of course, a certain team led the league with the most FTA in the regular season, and then, once in the playoffs, are suddenly the team with the least amount of FTA.  Or vice versa. 

Or, y'know, the eye test.  Golden State never gets called for a moving screen.  Klay Thompson can land directly on a three point shooter with no call, but to everyone else it's a flagrant.  One team can get mugged on the way to the basket and get no call, and ticky tack fouls are called the other way. 

Or Scott Foster is involved.

• Haha 1

1) Sample size. There is no reason to expect playoff basketball will match regular season trends, even if all the variables were somehow equated—which they can’t be.

2) Eye tests are biased, or at least prone to human error. There is, in any case, no reason to prefer an aggrieved fan’s eye test to another’s, or the refs’.

Again: Not saying Houston did or didn’t get a fair shake. I’m saying that one stat can’t demonstrate it.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And give credit to Denver. Jokic in foul trouble and Murray with a knee contusion. Still fought to the bitter end.

That was my biggest takeaway. How much heart that team showed last night. 

If they can keep this group together long term they’ll be a serious force soon. Porter needs to cut down on the stupid fouls, and ideally they’d retain Jerami Grant.

• Like 2

I think the only player under 25-years-old I'm taking over Bam Adebayo right now is Luka... maybe Zion but probably not due to injury concerns. He's the perfect encapsulation of the modern NBA. A point center that can do everything and has a great mentality. He's already one of the best defenders in the league, rebounds his ass off, can beat bigger centers and power forwards off the dribble, can kick it out to the sharpshooters on the outside, soft touch, reads the game at both ends very well, pretty good free throws... Outside shooting is about it for areas needing major improvement.