DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

• 1. DDP Cutters Goldberg and beats him clean as a sheet to beat the streak.
  • 2. DDP offers rematch at next PPV. DDP Cutters Goldberg and beats clean as a sheet in the rematch.
  • 3. DDP vs Hogan at Starrcade 1998. DDP Cutters Hogan and beats him clean as a sheet. nWo post match attack Goldberg out to save DDP. They clear the ring together. Goldberg turns and beats the absolute ever loving fuck out of DDP. Hardcore blade job / injury angle / strip the title because DDP may never wrestle again. Goldberg is a murder death heel with no emotions (but DOES NOT join the nWo).
  • 4. Goldberg wins a tournament to get the title back and goes back to wrecking people for a year while DDP slowly relearns how to walk.
  • 5. DDP vs Goldberg for the title at Starrcade 1999 and you make alllll the moneies.

It's pretty easy to come up with a story post streak. Just gotta have a plan and stick to it.
  • Like 3

DDP over Goldberg at Havoc, shake hands after. DDP headlines with Bret at Starrcade, maybe run it again at Souled Out, rubber match at SuperBrawl in a cage. Sting IIRC returns at the end of March, so you put him with the winner straight away.

Goldberg is told by Bischoff if he wants another shot he's got to start at the bottom, so you run him on a new streak in the TV and US title divisions for a while. 

We could do this to death, but at the end of the day, none of it is even reasonable to have happened because it doesn't involve Hogan or Nash on top, so one or both would have squashed all of this. I wouldn't even know what to do with them. Mega Powers vs Outsiders? The tag scene was dead anyway, maybe a feud for the belts would be enough to placate them.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

I like DDP, but I wouldn’t end the streak for him. He can afford to lose, he shouldn’t be the guy with Goldberg around. Maybe he could have ended Goldberg’s streak, but only if he loses the belt soon to somebody else so he wouldn’t have that stigma.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I like DDP, but I wouldn’t end the streak for him. He can afford to lose, he shouldn’t be the guy with Goldberg around. Maybe he could have ended Goldberg’s streak, but only if he loses the belt soon to somebody else so he wouldn’t have that stigma.

I have to disagree. If not DDP, who? He was easily the biggest babyface they had besides Goldberg himself. I mean, I guess they could have rolled the dice and gone with a younger guy like Raven or Benoit, maybe even like a Steiner or Booker, but DDP being who he was, and being as hot as he was, I think is probably the most politically realistic option, and also is a big enough babyface that he doesnt get shit on by the fans for it

• Like 1

Like I said I think a monster heel winning it makes the most sense. I think Paul Heyman had the right blueprint with the way Taz lost the TV belt to Bam Bam. They sort of did that with Nash, and the stun gun. But then putting it back on Hogan was the absolute wrong move. Fans did not want a repeat of the Hogan show, with long winded Hogan promos again. Nash should’ve kept it. The nWo turns on Hogan, and the Black & White is dissolved. Leaving only the Red & Black with Nash in charge. Now you’ve gotten rid of a bigger heel than Nash. So then Hogan goes back to the classic colors, that then leads to a passing the torch to Goldberg. From there it’s Goldberg and his crew in a war to vanquish the nWo. Maybe a WarGames in between, then finally Goldberg gets the belt back from Nash, and the nWo angle is put to rest for good.

After all this you can now have Goldberg at the top, and be somewhat “normal”, and relatable since you would see him team with the faces to be a hero. I mean this is a repeat of the Sting angle, but this is a way you can make it right with the right ending.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The answer for the Goldberg issue is that he keeps the belt for all of 99 and loses to Booker T who they could have spent the year building either at Havoc or in December.

This one's pretty solid. I was trying to make another top face with DDP, but he was already a top face. The Diamond Cutter was more over than the title at this point anyways. Goldberg at like 250-0 vs Booker T built up organically with big wins spread out through the year is much more efficient at making a new top star.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My favorite Goldberg match outside of DDP at Halloween Havoc came on an episode of Nitro vs. Sting,  that it until F.H. stuck his nose in it. 

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

That was the Nitro with Flair's return in Greenville...right? Great episode.

That's the one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m watching old Hansen matches, and it’s pretty clear he’s putting a foreign object into his elbow pad before he hits the lariat. I’m also sure that the tug was initially meant to mean he was loading up his elbow pad which carried a device of some kind. The match with Andre alludes to this with the big man pulling out his own questionable elbow pad at the very end. When was this just retconned away as a clean finisher?

In the WWWF, managed by Fred Blassie (thee Hollywood Fashion Plate of Wrestling), Hansen's elbow pad was definitely loaded with coins. How else was he going to take down Sammartino? I don't recall him using that gimmick when he returned (paired with again with thee Classy one) to face Backlund. What era matches were you watching? Maybe his elbow got callused with age and he didn't need the foreign object...

- RAF

On 9/21/2020 at 9:58 AM, Craig H said:

I've lived in Indiana my whole life and even have my degree from IU. I don't think I have once referred to myself as a Hoosier.

It's probably more on the radio and television, plus billboards. I just feel like I'm hearing or seeing the term every five minutes, any time I'm there for work or travelling through.