DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Roma was a face for most of his time in WWF.  Maybe all his time.  He mostly worked heels and a jobber, then he formed a babyface tag team with Jim Powers called the Young Stallions.

Ah. Were they not Power & Glory? I possess a deep well of useless wrestling trivia, but that period in WWE is a black hole for me...

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Ah. Were they not Power & Glory? I possess a deep well of useless wrestling trivia, but that period in WWE is a black hole for me...

Power and Glory was Roma and Hercules Hernandez.  They teamed after the Young Stallions broke up.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Iron Sheik, maybe? I can't remember the Sheik gimmick being a babyface anywhere, though Khosrow worked face at the very beginning of his career?

Not that it was really more than a 1 night thing, bit Sheiky did play babyface in Corluzzo's NWA in the late 90's.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I mean, plenty of heels kept the same gimmick & character throughout their career, and basically the fans decided they liked them so they became de facto babyfaces despite retaining their heel personality. The Rock, Roddy Piper, Cactus Jack, Sandman...

Sandman started out as a babyface surfer.

Sheik was brought in as a secret weapon by Pat Tanaka in ECW against Kevin Sullivan and Taz. I think that Dusty might have done the same. I also think that he was face at some point in the dying days of Detroit out of desperation. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's hard, when you think about it. Even Abby had a period in PR where he was happy dancing Abdullah the Butcher, right? 

EDIT: The Sheik. Sheik was NEVER a face, ever, anywhere.

Happy....dancing.....Abdullah. I think this just broke my brain

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Wasn't there some big to-do several years back about how they instituted a backstage business casual dress code and wrestlers could get fined for not dressing appropriately?

yhea, but I think it was more for travel than backstage in the arena. Jericho was unhappy and asked how they where supposed to be "rockstars" if everyone had to dress alike. Cena had an exception as long as he dressed "in character" (this is when he was still a rapper) and Foley had an exception that got revoked after a disagreement with vince, this was years ago so i don't know how strict they are or arn't on it currently 

Edited by zendragon

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Iron Sheik, maybe? I can't remember the Sheik gimmick being a babyface anywhere, though Khosrow worked face at the very beginning of his career?

I don't think Baron Corbin's ever been a babyface.  IIRC, he's never wrestled anywhere except the WWE system and I don't remember him ever being a face in NXT.  KInda surprising, considering almost everyone turns at some point in the WWE.

Who was never a heel?  Steamboat?.  He debuted as a babyface and he supposedly got his ring name because Eddie Graham thought his "Richard Blood" was a heel name.  I don't think he ever worked heel in Florida or for Crockett (or WWF).  

Did Bruno work heel anywhere?  Not that I can remember.

It seems like Rey should have been a lifelong face but I can think of at least two heel runs (Promo Azteca and WCW briefly when he joined the Flithy Animals).

Cena was a heel when he did the Prototype gimmick, wasn't he?

This is as heelish as I think Bruno ever got. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

II don't think Baron Corbin's ever been a babyface.  IIRC, he's never wrestled anywhere except the WWE system and I don't remember him ever being a face in NXT.  KInda surprising, considering almost everyone turns at some point in the WWE.

Pretty sure Corbin was a babyface for awhile when he first broke in to NXT.

47 minutes ago, gordi said:

Was Tito Santana ever a heel?

Apparently not.  That question used to come up on Kayfabe Memories and the Wrestling Classics board.  Supposedly, Tito never turned heel anywhere he worked.  Even in Japan, he was allowed to work the same style he worked in the States and the fans accepted him as a babyface (according to James Beard, who worked with Tito in Japan).  

Tito supposedly went to Vince a couple times about turning heel later in his WWF run, but Vince didn't want to turn him.

I'm kinda curious what Tully Blanchard was like as a babyface.  He debuted as a fiery babyface for Southwest Champion Wrestling.  In an interview a while back, Tully said he never had any desire to be a face and stayed a heel the rest of his career.  I know he wad the promoter's son and promoter's kids are usually faces, but it's hard to believe even his dad thought people wanted to cheer Tully.  Tully was everything a promoter wants from a heel.  The only thing more punchable than his face was his personality.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Orton was a face in JCP before he turned on Flair to collect Harley's bounty, wasn't he?

I saw a match with Orton after his WWF run in the dying days of Crockett where he was just Bob Orton Jr. Not a face or heel. Just a veteran wrestler.

6 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Apparently not.  That question used to come up on Kayfabe Memories and the Wrestling Classics board.  Supposedly, Tito never turned heel anywhere he worked.  Even in Japan, he was allowed to work the same style he worked in the States and the fans accepted him as a babyface (according to James Beard, who worked with Tito in Japan).  

Tito supposedly went to Vince a couple times about turning heel later in his WWF run, but Vince didn't want to turn him.

I'm kinda curious what Tully Blanchard was like as a babyface.  He debuted as a fiery babyface for Southwest Champion Wrestling.  In an interview a while back, Tully said he never had any desire to be a face and stayed a heel the rest of his career.  I know he wad the promoter's son and promoter's kids are usually faces, but it's hard to believe even his dad thought people wanted to cheer Tully.  Tully was everything a promoter wants from a heel.  The only thing more punchable than his face was his personality.  

We have highlighted the heel Tito in Japan trios multiple times in the last year. Come on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Pretty sure Corbin was a babyface for awhile when he first broke in to NXT.

At the very least a tweener with equal opportunity End of Days for heel and face jobbers and midcarders alike. This changed when the audience grew tired of his sub-30 second matches and he started becoming more of a dickhead, like the one we know today.