DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 9/13/2020 at 12:43 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Vader and Sid wrestled at IYH: Buried Alive to make up for the ill fated Starrcade 93 match that didn't happen, and it was touted as the Masters of the Powerbomb. Yet, neither guy powerbombed each other. Sid chokeslams Vader for the win, and that's it.

That’s because, as Masters of the Powerbomb, they each knew the other knew numerous technical counters and escapes to the powerbomb, and thus trying to powerbomb the other would most certainly lead to utter failure and defeat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I fucking hated that spot during the Nitro days because you have people who never did a powerbomb try one just so Kidman could get that spot in.

To be fair Hogan was successful. He put Kidman through a table with it.

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I fucking hated that spot during the Nitro days because you have people who never did a powerbomb try one just so Kidman could get that spot in.

I fucking hated that as well.

7 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

Man, the Vengeance 2003 tag with Kidman and Rey against Haas and Benjamin was so good.

Vengeance 2003 was a great show: Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit to crown the new WWE United States Champion (belt was brought back along with the WWE Intercontinental Championship), TWGTT vs. Mysterio/Kidman. The Undertaker/John Cena, Vince McMahon vs. Zack Gowan and the main event between Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle and the Big Show.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

That’s because, as Masters of the Powerbomb, they each knew the other knew numerous technical counters and escapes to the powerbomb, and thus trying to powerbomb the other would most certainly lead to utter failure and defeat.

What about the Starrcade 99 Powerbomb match between Sid and Nash that Nash won by convincing the ref that he powerbombed Sid when he really didn't? Now that is the height of laziness and referee incompetence.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

What about the Starrcade 99 Powerbomb match between Sid and Nash that Nash won by convincing the ref that he powerbombed Sid when he really didn't? Now that is the height of laziness and referee incompetence.

Did you really want that match to go longer?  Nash and Sid both moved at half-speed and didn't seem to care at all.

Also, that PPV is probably a candidate for worst PPV ever.  A lot of sloppy 5-min matches and head-scratching booking decisions.   Evan Karagias losing the Cruiserweight Title to Madusa in an awful match.  The Varsity Club reuniting for no reason at all as Jim Duggan's mystery partners, only for babyface Duggan refuse to tag them in so they turned on him and laid him out.  The weird Hart-Goldberg-Piper screwjob ending in the main event,  Creative Control becoming contenders for the tag team titles in what ended up being an intergender 3 on 2 handicap match.  On and on.  That whole show is 3-ish hours of WCW at its worst.

The show has 2 or 3 watchable matches on a thirteen match card.  Jeff Jarrett was involved in two decent matches.  That's your highlight, so if you don't like Double J, you're probably out of luck.

The show does have Sting correctly predicting an ally was about to turn on him.  Instead of playing gullible smiling babyface, Sting saw Elizabeth's heel tun coming and replaced the can of mace she tried to use on him during the match with silly string (lol, don't ask).  Not that it did him a lot of good.  Liz instead handed Luger a baseball bat and Luger beat Sting up with the bat.  He might have been better off with the mace.

• Like 1

The height of Russo's first stint booking WCW which also was a fucking disaster. I can't believe I was still watching it since I didn't know he was that damn bad without a filter. Its aged even worse than it seemed at the time. Kind of like the Attitude Era.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The height of Russo's first stint booking WCW which also was a fucking disaster. I can't believe I was still watching it since I didn't know he was that damn bad without a filter. Its aged even worse than it seemed at the time. Kind of like the Attitude Era.

Often wondered what the last year of WCW would've looked like if they'd have actually let Russo go through with putting the title on Tank Abbott at Souled Out after Bret and Jarrett's respective concussions

1 minute ago, AxB said:

So is Sasha Banks actually in The Mandalorian, or was that one guy on twitter trolling?

She's been rumored to be in it for a while, she's actually in the trailer and she herself confirmed its her.