DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

3fb25297-zica-toys-spectaurs-warriors-of

You all are lokking at a multiple times world heavyweight champion right here. 

That's awesome!

If I knew how to add pictures on here I'd show you the setup my nephews did for a "junkyard fed" they'd made using GI Joe and MASK vehicles for the background. The majority of the MASK vehicles had those operable gimmicks like buzzsaws and whatnot so their junkyard fed was this almost FMW style arena for Voltron and Power Rangers and Turtles, etc

Gizmoduck and Darkwing Duck are the reigning tag champs last I heard. They tore through a mix of Thundercats and Battle Beasts minimates to get the straps

You have to link to a URL in order to post a pic. So if, say, those pics are posted on Facebook you could just right click on the image and copy that link and it should let you post it as an image here. 

Also Darkwing Duck should be getting pushed to the moon. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

a "junkyard fed" they'd made using GI Joe and MASK vehicles for the background. The majority of the MASK vehicles had those operable gimmicks like buzzsaws and whatnot so their junkyard fed was this almost FMW style arena

So, basically Zona 23 then?

• Like 4

Lego Technic figures were good for articulation points but even better, they held their poses well, as opposed to GI Joes. Still, my Joes were dropping each other with brainbusters all the tiiiiiime. Speaking of which!

What move(s) captivated you as a young fan? I mentioned the brainbuster above and that was it for me - well before being aware of head-droppy puroresu. I probably saw a Koko B Ware match and from then on out wondered why everybody wasn't murdering the fuck out of their opponents with this amazingly brutal maneuver. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

So, basically Zona 23 then?

Y'know, I've never seen it but read reviews about some matches and couldn't remember what it was called when I was posting. That one, definitely ? Thanks man.

Their toy fed with the Joe's and MASK vehicles in the background is Zona 23ish ? The Rock Lords and Insecticons ran the fed Dario Cueto style and Mark Henry was the kids version of Matanza for them at one point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Also Darkwing Duck should be getting pushed to the moon. 

If the pandemic finally lifts and we get a Darkwing Duck/Particle Man match, Meltzer is going to give that shit five stars whether it takes place in California or not.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:48 AM, MidnightRider said:

If you were in a shoot ladder match, what would your strategy be?

Nut shots. All of the nut shots.

I'd be a one man Styles v Nakamura (with a dash of Lesnar v Taker) in WWE over here with the dick kicks, crotch shots and gooch hoofs.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Nut shots. All of the nut shots.

I'd be a one man Styles v Nakamura (with a dash of Lesnar v Taker) in WWE over here with the dick kicks, crotch shots and gooch hoofs.

What about testicular claws?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, MidnightRider said:

If you were in a shoot ladder match, what would your strategy be?

There was one of those Celebreality talent shows based around wrestling on ITV, 15 years ago. The original plan was to teach the celebrities to have worked Pro-wrestling matches, only that was too difficult (because Wrestling isn't easy) so instead they had them having shoot matches. But they didn't want it to just be Amateur Wrestling, so they had a few stip matches. Like a shoot chain match where they were trying to actually drag each other around the ring and slap the turnbuckles. They didn't do a Ladder match though.

10 hours ago, elizium said:

Croc Master was usually on top of my GI Joe fed. Road Pig and Iron Grenadier also got long runs. Main tag team was Cobra Officer and Cobra Stinger Driver because they matched. It was a heel heavy territory.

Kobra Khan never won a match without using his mist on his opponent. 

il_570xN.2101141619_qdxj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apropos of nothing (and it’s certainly not even a lukewarm take), I love watching Terry Gordy work. Every facet of his performance just screams “This dude is going to kick someone’s ass, enjoy it immensely, then go drink everyone under the table.” Even his promos paint him as a guy who would have been just as comfortable slapping your grandma as he was beating down a hapless Von Erich pretty boy.  

This is not a new discovery for me. Pretty sure I’ve been on the bandwagon since ‘86 or so. Just happened to catch a few matches this evening that really reminded me why I love this pro wrestling stuff we’re (mostly) all into.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Lego Technic figures were good for articulation points but even better, they held their poses well, as opposed to GI Joes. Still, my Joes were dropping each other with brainbusters all the tiiiiiime. Speaking of which!

What move(s) captivated you as a young fan? I mentioned the brainbuster above and that was it for me - well before being aware of head-droppy puroresu. I probably saw a Koko B Ware match and from then on out wondered why everybody wasn't murdering the fuck out of their opponents with this amazingly brutal maneuver. 

Off the top of my head, Dynamite's snap suplex, Orndorff's piledriver, just about anything Blue Blazer did, Tully&Arn's Spike Piledriver, any sort of press slam, so I guess high impact and high flying grabbed my attention the most.

Also, Thundercats was mentioned, Mumm-Ra made for a good heel against the trio of Prince Adam, basic He-Man and some newer, more gimmicked He-Man. Can't remember who I used for Mumm-Ra's partners, though. Furthermore, at the time, I didn't put as much thought into it, as many of you have, I just had matches, with no rhyme nor reason.

In the 90's when I made a Wrestling RPG for myself and a few friends, I ended up putting plenty of thought and time into that one way or another for more than a decade.

• Like 1

I'm all for "tales and memories of booking your action figure feds" getting it's own thread.

I had a good supply of the actual hasbro WWF hard plastic series that mostly carried the promotion, though anything of comparable size my brother had also got used. Bushwacker Luke unfortunately broke fairly quickly, forcing Butch to become a languishing JTTS, bouncing between doomed solo attempts and failed partnerships. Except, like that one AAAA utility infielder who for no good reason hits .430 against Kershaw or whatever, Butch turned out to have ownage on Ric Flair.  Butch wasn't "good enough" to earn actual title bouts against Flair, but he plagued Flair in tag matches, non title bouts, "can't last 10 minutes" challenges, etc. So every time War Games or Survivor Series or whatever would roll around, when The Horsemen (of course) took one of the faces out before the event, it invariably backfired because the faces would recruit Butch to be the replacement, who would always be available to fill in because as JTTS he was never "good enough" to get on the big cards any other way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:40 PM, twiztor said:

i always liked the way Akira Hokuto would pick people up for a suplex, scoop slam style. here's her doing more of a brainbuster, but you get the idea. 

ZrOvPUY.gif

To me  that just looks like a delayed, and dope  Michinoku Driver.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

To me  that just looks like a delayed, and dope  Michinoku Driver.

That's a Northern Lights Bomb. She was using it before Taka started using the Michinoku Driver 1, let alone the 2.

• Like 2

If I remember right, Northern Lights is a pun on Hokuto in a fashion. It was also called the Hokuto Bomb at times. Her version and Kensuke's were somewhat different.
北斗 = Hokuto
北光 = Hokkou which means Northern Lights.

I think they just usually use Aurora, but this is also a term. Hokuto is also the term used for the Big Dipper constellation, apparently.

Edited by Ryan

DSCN3416_2_large.JPG?v=1571439162

Carnage was a surprise challenger to my GI Joe fed championship. The champion was probably Snake Eyes or Firefly or something. Either way, Carnage destroyed the champion with knees and repeated chokeslams because his left hand was molded perfectly for the chokeslam. 

Also, he did not wear the clip on axe or other stuff to the ring. 

And my ring was the first ring that got released for the Hasbro WWF action figures. It was perfect for GI Joes.

• Like 1