DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

snarky teenager logic always told me the same thing. wrestler 1 is a master of his maneuver. wrestler 2 doing it makes it less effective. in cases where #2 does it to #1, wrestler #1 "knows the secret way out" and can't be pinned from it.

i would've marked out for a storyline where a vet "passes on his move" by teaching all the secrets of it to a younger guy, only to see young guy make a heel turn and use it on the vet. sadly, if it happened during 90s WWF, it would've been rushed, ineffective, and forgotten about by the next week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, twiztor said:

snarky teenager logic always told me the same thing. wrestler 1 is a master of his maneuver. wrestler 2 doing it makes it less effective. in cases where #2 does it to #1, wrestler #1 "knows the secret way out" and can't be pinned from it.

i would've marked out for a storyline where a vet "passes on his move" by teaching all the secrets of it to a younger guy, only to see young guy make a heel turn and use it on the vet. sadly, if it happened during 90s WWF, it would've been rushed, ineffective, and forgotten about by the next week.

This makes sense to me. Like how everyone has a cutter now but none of them mastered it like DDP so they only get 2 counts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MidnightRider said:

If you were in a shoot ladder match, what would your strategy be?

Practice getting a briefcase off a hook beforehand, in case I ever get into a shoot ladder match.  You would't think something like that would require a lot of practice, but apparently you'd be wrong since most every wrestler ever entered in a ladder match has trouble freeing the briefcase.

The second part of my strategy would involve playing dead until my opponent started climbing the ladder, then tipping him over.  Why ladder matches last more than 30 secs, I'll never know.  Then again, most of us could climb a ladder in the amount of time it takes a normal human to recover from a 20-30 fall onto concrete, so apparently we have at least one advantage over pro wrestlers.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

what happens if Wrestler X and Wrestler Y are both the master of the same move though?

You get the Raven/ Dreamer feud? I mean, Vader's Japanese finishes were the Chokeslam and the Powerbomb, but... did he wrestle Taue in a singles match?

The Kayfabe reason why wrestlers climb ladders slowly is probably the same as the reason why joint holds hurt them whilst not fully applied. Muscular bodies are less flexible and require more energy to move about.  

13 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

GI Joe figure wrestling federation FTW. And if Tomax & Xamot weren’t your tag champs, your booking is for shit.

I was only ever able to track down one (Xamot...or was it Tomax?) at a Garage Sale. They were all in for a rough ride when I found this guy though.
il_794xN.1465647387_g6l5.jpg

Multiple time World Champion right there!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

That would be a great storyline. Like an inverse of the Magnum TA/Mr. Wrestling II angle where II made Magnum his protege, taught him II's patented kneelift and then turned on him.

Edited by cwoy2j

20 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It was Masters of the Universe for me as a kid.

Yeah, I had a good number of those too, earlier in fact. Got my He-Man for my 5th birthday. Wrestled with those too, some years later. And those figures were the obvious start to the interest in muscular and ultra-muscular physiques that is obviously still going on today.

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

You get the Raven/ Dreamer feud? I mean, Vader's Japanese finishes were the Chokeslam and the Powerbomb, but... did he wrestle Taue in a singles match?

Yep.  Four times, according to Cagematch.  First time was for the Triple Crown (Vader won to become champion.  Taue wasn't champ at the time.  Kawada beat Misawa for the title, but broke his arm in the match and vacated the  title the next day).  

Vader and Taue were also in approximately 60 tag matches together.  They actually teamed once or twice in the early 2000's, but mot of the tags and six-mans had them on opposite sides (ie, Holy Demon Army vs. Hansen/Vader or whatever). 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, caley said:

I was only ever able to track down one (Xamot...or was it Tomax?) at a Garage Sale. They were all in for a rough ride when I found this guy though.
il_794xN.1465647387_g6l5.jpg

Multiple time World Champion right there!

Any idea who this bad boy is?

53 minutes ago, AxB said:

Vader and Sid wrestled at IYH: Buried Alive to make up for the ill fated Starrcade 93 match that didn't happen, and it was touted as the Masters of the Powerbomb. Yet, neither guy powerbombed each other. Sid chokeslams Vader for the win, and that's it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I was never able to get my hands on Tomax and Xamot figures, even though I had probably more than 50 figures all together. But that sounds like the most logical booking ever (only Zartan&Zandar comes close, but I never had either of them either). Sgt. Slaughter was unbeatable, but the funny thing was I never knew Slaughter was an actual wrestler, until he showed back up to WWF in fall of '90. 

My tag team champs was the Dreadnoks trip of Buzzer Ripper and Torch, Freebirds style where any two could defend the belts

They did the "losing on their way out"business for Captain Power and company 

ETA- Couple years back there was a Build N Brawlers line of WWE and UFC guys that came out along the time of the 25th Anniversary Joe's. The Hardys had some epic matches with many duos like Luke and Duke, the Silva team of Wanderlei and Andereon, Tomax/Xamot, etc in my nephews little Joes fed

Edited by Hayabusa
Added
  • Like 1

My fed had a Kobashi-esque title reign by a VR Trooper. The Green Power Ranger finally defeated him in a rematch of a prior bout where he had wrestled as the White Ranger. He returned to his roots to finally win the big one. 

I think it may be in storage somewhere...

• Like 1

Oh, for me, Michaelangelo was a long-reigning wrestling champ and hit .405 in the action figure baseball league. He was a true dual-sport superstar. Take that, "Spark Plug" Bob Holly!

• Like 2