DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Coach Budenholzer is definitely going to get the majority of the blame. You can already see it coming from the NBA media/twitter/analysts. There are things he should have answers for when he talks to management: Why wasn't Giannis playing as many minutes as possible to win this?  Why isn't Wesley Matthews playing?  Etc.

It's obviously not all his fault though. He wasn't the one bricking all those threes late in the 4th tonight. Giannis' jumper was MIA tonight too.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

I think what people are zeroing in on being his biggest weakness is his inflexibility with his system. Drop the center in the paint, keep Giannis on the weak side, cut off the paint but give open threes. It works great in the regular season, but this is the second straight year a team has just broken it completely in the post season. 

Offense, I don't know if there's an answer. If guys can't hit open threes, and the opponents can successful build a fucking wall to keep the Freak out of the paint, they don't have many options. Especially if Middleton gets stymied.

Sometimes you have to make the move, even with a successful coach. Of course, you might wind up with someone worse. It's not always Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr.

• Like 1

It was sooo cringey listening to Reggie Miller make excuses for Greek Freak.  There is no excuse,  he's making terrible decisions. When he goes to the rack it's still very successful but for some reason he LOVES his perimeter shot even though it kind of sucks.  

But give credit to Miami because they are playing very well and Butler has them all bought in. A true leader. 

• Like 1

I was thrilled when Philly let Butler go. He was the one guy I was scared of for Boston.  Anyway,  I guess I'll give some credit to the Rockets tonight.  They beat the Lakers ass.  Let's see the adjustments for game 2.  This isn't a Portland situation.  Rockets are healthy and they aren't playing a bunch of D league players with 1 1/2 stars. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

If your Rockets get by the Lakers you feel up to a friendly wager for the West Finals? Since I’ve made it clear before that I like Kawhi. 

Your team already lost. You don’t get to pick another team Mavs fan.

• Haha 1

Who’s gonna guard AD?

I called Miami as being one of the teams to be able to knock the Bucks out.

And given how bad the East generally is, if they didn’t make it to the Finals, the season is a complete and total failure, and Giannis needs to be regarded as the anti-clutch choker he has been his entire career. 

Rockets aren’t supposed to win this series. Do you know how freeing it is to not have those expectations?

And ... Harden just played his regular season average. Russ still isn’t well and on a minutes restriction. They only shot 35% from 3. Nobody on the bench scored more than 10, and House a sometimes starter got injured and missed most of the second half. 

They can play better. Can the Lakers?

57 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Not Giannis? Not Kawhi? Wow.

Nope. It’s always been AD. The others are overrated, but at least they can carry a team. AD never carried the Pelicans to any modicum of success, and yet somehow people think he’s a top 10 player. 

The Lakers were playing for only the second time in 11 days and we caught off guard by Houston's small ball. You have to wait for the game 2 adjustments or else you fall into Game 1 of the Portland series hot take territory. And Houston have to keep making their shots, which doesn't always happen. Davis had a decent enough game. It's the Laker guards I'd worry about. I don't have much faith in them. 

• Like 1