DVDVR Message Board

Payback VI - 8/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

25 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I'd say the absence of Becky has had a larger impact in opening spots for Asuka and Sasha in the Raw title scene. Charlotte was in NXT the few months prior to being sidelined, having fresh matches with new opponents. You can argue that Rhea suffered for it, but her booking since then suggests nobody has a clue what to do with her -- regardless of what Charlotte did or didn't do.

Maybe but I mean just in general if you look across both brands and NXT the combined length of time Charlotte has been a title holder and they just have no idea what to do with her if she's not holding a belt.  

So you have situations like what happened with Rhea but this has been going on for years.  At WrestleMania 32 everyone thought Sasha Banks was going to come out victorious but they claimed Charlotte needed the win.  What has transpired after that is various "there's more to the story.." claims which are all BS.  

Asuka lost her streak to Charlotte and Hunter said the same thing he said about Rhea.  "There's more to the story.."   No the hell there isn't  ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Didn't Arnold Skaaland manage the WWF champion for something like 20 years? Must count for something.

He should lose points for throwing in the towel when Backlund lost to the Sheik. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He should lose points for throwing in the towel when Backlund lost to the Sheik. 

for even allowing an injured Backlund to accept that championship bout in the first place.

in grand WWF "babyfaces are actually assholes and the heels are justified" tradition, Freshly Snapped 94 Backlund was well within his rights to put Skaaland in the Cross Face Chicken Wing. Skaaland had it 11 years coming.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Cesaro and Curtis Axel dislike this. 

Axel is proof perfect of why Heyman is the best. The guy proved to be a scrub pretty much his whole career, yet Heyman took him to the IC title, one of the most prestigious belts in all of wrestling. That's some Ranieri taking Leicester to the Premiership title shit right there.

Cesaro, I have nothing for. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The guy proved to be a scrub pretty much his whole career, yet Heyman took him to the IC title, one of the most prestigious belts in all of wrestling.

True but winning the I.C. title then was like being the heavyweight boxing champion in the 2010s.  Yeah, you got a belt but... look around you. 

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I prefer the old WWE United States Championship to the new one.

On the above, longest time between title victories.

Bob Backlund loses the WWF Championship in December 1983 and regains it in November 1994. 11 years later.

Kane won the WWF Championship in June 1998 and wins the World Heavyweight Championship in July 2010. 12 years. I don't count the ECW Championship as a world title between then.

Bret Hart wins the United States Championship in WCW, October 1999 and wins it back 11 years later in WWE, May 2010.

Fuck Hogan loses the WWF Championship in June 1993 and wins it back in April 2002, 9 year gap.

Big Show wins the WWF Championship in November 1999 and the World Heavyweight Championship, December 2011. 12 years. I wouldn't count the ECW Championship between then.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

in grand WWF "babyfaces are actually assholes and the heels are justified" tradition, Freshly Snapped 94 Backlund was well within his rights to put Skaaland in the Cross Face Chicken Wing. Skaaland had it 11 years coming.

The babyface having a manager is against nature to begin with. The babyface should hire a manager only to even the odds against the heel's manager, like when Eddie Graham paid Saul Weingeroff to manage him and Sam Steamboat against J.C. Dykes and the Infernos. The best thing about that angle was the promos where Eddie continued to call Saul a piece of shit while he was standing right there beside him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

CM Punk circa 2003.

I like you but have to ask considering this is the second time you've said that.  But is this just a wrestling joke you doing?  Because I'm assuming/hoping you know the reason why.  Don't mean to be confrontational but I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like you but have to ask considering this is the second time you've said that.  But is this just a wrestling joke you doing?  Because I'm assuming/hoping you know the reason why.  Don't mean to be confrontational but I'm genuinely curious.

That's the straight edge symbol he did before almost every match.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

That's the straight edge symbol he did before almost every match.   

That is very true.  But that's also the pose for Black Panther that they're doing considering the guy that played him passed away.  That's why they're doing it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Just now, paintedbynumbers said:

never saw it.  Makes sense though.  

It's fine.  I thought I was missing a joke or something.  But yeah there's been a lot of that going around this weekend.  I think I saw a gif of Apollo doing that before the standing moonsault as well.

As for the show itself I may watch the Mysterios tag but that'll likely be it.  I do agree that tag Rollins is the best Rollins.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks to me like they are setting up a Joker/Quinn dynamic.  

This and bringing back Alexa Bliss' pigtails look during her 2016-2017 heel look. Remember the Fiend inverts people. Seth Rollins was a face who turned heel after facing him, Daniel Bryan the other way round and Strowman from goodie to baddie. I can't cheer Braun after throwing Alexa Bliss from a press slam or the Fiend either for applying the Mandible Claw to her. Hated both attacks to Alexa Bliss, a woman. Makes me uncomfortable.