DVDVR Message Board

Payback VI - 8/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Can the WWE build an entire PPV in one week?   Let's find out!  

Updated as they announce. 

FOR THE WWE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Golden Role Models vs. Shayna Baszler/Nia Jax

NO HOLDS BARRED TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman

FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Apollo Crews (c) vs. Bobby Lashley (w/ The Hurt Business)

Keith Lee vs. Randy Orton

Rey & Dominick Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins & Murphy

King Corbin vs. Matt Riddle

Big E vs. Sheamus

The Riott Squad vs. The Iiconics

Why are they even doing this? Are they trying to get the maximum out of the Amway Center lease now that they have the Thunderdome set up? Was this just some scheduling quirk that survived no longer being in arenas? If they really wanted to do this why wouldn't they have just called it Summerslam Part 1 and Part 2? The one thing they have going for them is that using smaller shows means that they have to put on less matches and that they have more feuds just sitting and waiting. 

There wasn't an IC title match, Women's Tag Title, or Smackdown Tag Title match last night. The same person was in the Raw and Smackdown women's matches so they didn't burn through challengers. Of the 8 matches, one had a non-wrestler. And yes, they both brought back their biggest star and are debuting a new name on Raw tomorrow night. And hey, plenty of guys on the roster that didn't get on the card last night (Big E, Riddle, Sheamus, Hardy, Nakamura, Cesaro, Corbin, Ziggler, Owens, Murphy, Miz/Morrison, Lashley, etc.). 

Which again makes me think they should have just branded it as Summerslam Part 1 and Part 2 over two weeks. They could have had virtual axxess'-y stuff in the middle. Ah well.

• Like 3

The only things that interests me is the  main event and to see how Riddle and Lee are going to be booked.  For all the people who talk about how we never want to see people leave NXT, tonight could either prove it or gives us some hope

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not liking what I am hearing about Riddle but to keep it to just the wrestling, I guess he should probably squash Corbin if they are serious about a Matt Riddle push.  Corbin is a midcarder for life.  

Keith Lee vs. Randy Orton shouldn't be happening at all because I don't trust WWE to book two guys who shouldn't be losing.  Orton is clearly the top heel on the brand and has unfinished business with the champion.  Keith Lee should be squashing dudes. 

• Like 1

If Roman were to win I would think it would be due to Retribution coming out and it's shown that Roman is the leader.  I can't see him winning any other way.  I also can't see them making Otis looking any stupider unless he fails to cash in tonight.  It's a triple threat, he can cash in without pinning the champ. 

This is so half assly put together that I'm not really excited for anything.

Tag titles match could be solid, but I have little faith in Shayna & Nia having much chemistry as a team. Its also obvious this is being used to push the long Bayley/Sasha breakup saga which likely won't work as well as they hope because neither should honestly be faces at this point.

I like the Hurt Business, but Apollo does so little for me so I'm ready for this feud to finally end. I wish it was Ricochet or Cedric as US champ right now. Hope Lashley takes the title.

Lee/Orton happening here feels like bs, and anything less than a victory for Lee will likely feel like a failure. They should have waited to do this one. Then again Lee should also still be NXT champ.

E/Sheamus should be fine as a match. Hopefully its another victory for E.

Mysterios vs. Seth/Murphy should be fun, but the lack of stip is disappointing. It also feels weird to happen here right after Retribution beat the Mysterios down on Monday.

The triple threat will hopefully be fine with Roman involved. I want Roman to take the belt and bring the main title scene back to some normalcy. Roman vs. Big E, vs. Otis, vs. Bryan, etc. could all be fun feuds and matches with Reigns as the arrogant champ he should be. I only fear all of this will be delayed to put over Retribution as a threat.

Hopefully whatever happens with Retribution tonight they finally unmask them. Personally I wish they got stomped by the rosters when they were still masked goobers only for someone like Ciampa to come in, take the best guys and gals and raise them up as a legit dangerous stable.

Edited by Eivion

22 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

If Roman were to win I would think it would be due to Retribution coming out and it's shown that Roman is the leader.  I can't see him winning any other way.  I also can't see them making Otis looking any stupider unless he fails to cash in tonight.  It's a triple threat, he can cash in without pinning the champ. 

Well cashing in to join a title match with Reigns, Strowman and The Fiend doesn't sound super sensible to me.

I think they're going to try to run Mandy as a top babyface, so no turning on Otis for a while. 

I think Otis winning the title could actually happen, Roman needs a whitemeat babyface to go up against.

Braun Strowman's doing the job. Roman Reigns needs to win the WWE Universal Championship and run through them. The way Roman Reigns was presented on SummerSlam and especially THAT cliffhanger on Smackdown is the most interesting direction for the Big Dog in a while.