DVDVR Message Board

A New DC Video Game Thread

The Natural

My buddy at work has been stoked for this game since it was announced. We're planning on playing it co-op together, but for months he thought it was crossplay and I had to break it to him last night that it is, in fact, not crossplay enabled. He's mainly a PC guy, so he wanted to play it on there, but he'll have to settle for PS5 now.

I'm... less excited for it. For one, I'm not a huge DC guy, and two it just doesn't grab me and make me want to pay $69.99 or whatever it is. Eh. Plus I just bought a SteamDeck so I'm gonna be loading up on games for that.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, Casey said:

but for months he thought it was crossplay 

Until today, I thought Rocksteady was developing Gotham Knights.  They’re not.  I did like WB Games Montreal’s previous Batman game, Gotham Origins, but I’m not a huge Batman fan and don’t really feel like I need another Batman game.  I could probably replay Arkham Asylum and be just as content.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, madl said:

Until today, I thought Rocksteady was developing Gotham Knights.  They’re not.  I did like WB Games Montreal’s previous Batman game, Gotham Origins, but I’m not a huge Batman fan and don’t really feel like I need another Batman game.  I could probably replay Arkham Asylum and be just as content.

Yeah - Rocksteady is doing the Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League game that at this point I feel like will never come out

While the Gotham Knights campaign will remain locked at 2 players max - they are going to add a 4 player Co-Op mode

Gotham Knights has four different playable heroes, but the game has only been confirmed to support two players at a time. And while its campaign is still going to maintain its two-player limit, Gotham Knights is going to get a free four-player co-op mode on November 29, over a month after its October 21 launch.

Heroic Assault is the four-player mode and is separate from the story-based campaign. It’s an arena mode with specific objectives and enemies to defeat on each of its 30 floors, making it somewhat of a wave-based survival mode. This update does not allow four-player co-op in the main campaign, though, as outlined in an FAQ on the game’s website. WB Games Montréal did not post any videos or screenshots of this mode in action, either.

9 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm not a specs guy. Is 30fps *that* noticeable for a casual gamer? Is it going to make me regret picking this one up?

I don’t think so.  The difference between 30 and 60 has never really been noticeable to me.  As long as it’s a stable 30, I’m fine with it.

• Like 1

The duality of man here, but I disagree. It’s super noticeable when you from 30 to 60 in games like Spider-Man/Avengers, or FPS games.

Plus it’s a next gen only game, to not have graphics/performance mode options is insane to me.

Even if I had the means to play the game and characters from the Bat-Family, it's never grabbed me unlike Batman: Arkham Asylum/Batman: Arkham City which I love and I collected everything in. I've never played Batman: Arkham Knight either. All three look so much better than Gotham Knights from the story to the graphics, the famous Freeflow combat system and the stealth sessions. Needs Rocksteady's touch.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly working through this one. It started out pretty clunky combat-wise. But once you start leveling up you unlock a lot of the combat skills. It's not Arkham, but it's not not-Arkham if that makes any sense. The story stuff has been fun so far. But it's been a bit tedious having to advance storylines by going out and stopping random crimes to get the proper intel.

Only real complain I have to be honest is the movement when walking is wonky. There's a bit of a drift and it's not very precise. I've been stuck on stairs that I couldn't walk up because it got me stuck on the rail next to me and what-not. Minor when just exploring the city. But a bit annoying when you have to be precise and run to certain bombs and deactive them with a timer and combat happening and not being in just the right spot for the A button to work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In a response to a question on Twitter - James Gunn did say the plan is that future DC video games will connect to the DCU

It is possible this will apply to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (most likely not)

The stories I have read this from are speculating it will apply starting with the Wonder Woman game

On 11/26/2022 at 12:44 AM, The Natural said:

This game looks so bad. Such a contrast/difference to Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City which I've played unlike Batman: Arkham Origins or Batman: Arkham Knight.

It's actually grown on me. It's not Arkham. But it's still a pretty good experience once you get used to the not-Arkham-ness of it.

They added a bunch of DLC this week for free. It's basically just 30 different raid levels with Starro as the big bad. Plus all the boss battles are tweaked to super max difficulty for a Showdown mode.

The story is pretty solid, but it's short. There's only 3 side villains in this, unlike Arkham which always had a bunch. And the main story only had 8 quick chapters. I think having to animate the story 4 separate times is what ate away most of the space.

I'd recommend it once it drops down to a reasonable price. It was not worth a new AAA full price. But under $20 is totally worth it for this.

• Like 1