DVDVR Message Board

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - 8/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Pretty stark contrast between a dope show like this one and the competition, where their alleged top star of the future was being manhandled by a punter. 

The obvious comparison to me would be Brodie getting over while a couple of his former running mates are knee-deep in spooky bullshit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

The obvious comparison to me would be Brodie getting over while a couple of his former running mates are knee-deep in spooky bullshit. 

Yeah, but both of those two guys are tall enough to get on most major roller coasters, whereas Adam Cole has to stand on phone books to get his drivers license picture taken, so it's more fun to take shots at the guy made out of pipe cleaners...

• Haha 1

I hate to see Cody's end reign just like that, basically squashed in 3 minutes. But it was an effective angle. I thought for sure during the intros, that the match would go the "TV time remaining" limit. Felt like a sudden end to the Cody heel turn talk and natural set up for an eventual babyface comeback to win the title back but I don't know if Cody gets it back or what. Love to see Thunder Rosa coming in, one of the best talents around, her and Shida feels like it could be special. Surprised Matt/Guevara is next week instead of at All Out. Seems weird to do the Cody/Brodie switch so close to before All Out, doing a rematch there seems rushed but I'd hate to not have Cody on the show. the card there not being too fleshed out just 2 weeks away feels odd. 

Edited by DreamBroken

Strong opening tag.  FTR are so fun to watch.  They reeled in their greenish oponents nicely.  I also loved seeing Tully at their side.  And kudos to 'AEW Dynamite' for the 'cut the entrances opening match concept'.  Tho, I prefer the version with in-ring introductions.

Moxley promo was pretty spot on.  He seems to have shed the wood of his Ledger era promos.  MJF promo may have been a touch hokey, but didn't miss too far off the mark.  I like the idea behind the selling of the paradigm shift here, but not so into the silly stip. 

8 man was very sloppy at points, but also entertaining.  I liked Dustin here.  I thought he took a nice beating.  Butcher's enziguri was pretty terrible.  A good reminder why he needs to stick it out in a team with the Blade and get some serious polish.  The finish to this match was complete bullshit.  A less cartoon finish and slower turn to blow-up from the Blade would have been a ton better.  Kingston saves the shitty post match here.  Love that wink.  

Jericho segment was fine until the stale group toast/beatdown.  Dumb.  I'm amused by the match idea, but it certainly also risks being completely awful.  I'm holding out for Jericho wanting to redeem himself for his weak rematch performance.  OC being on point is not a question mark.    

Six man was kinda fun.  I dug the Kenny blowup at the end.  

Poor Alex Marvez.  And poor us for whomever's need it is that he be an on air personality.  Alex is probably a nice guy.  FTR were good.  So to Tully.  And Hangman.  Terrible camerawork here.

Darby squash was alright.  Hobbs is a big dude.  Starks is a graceful speaker.  And everybody can smell his star power.  Sidenote: Brian Cage needs to shed the lost in between spots look. 

Sammy-Hardy angle was good.  Nice table spot.  

I didn't see a whole lot of Thunder Rosa in the NWA.  Sounds like ppl are positive on her showing up, so very curious to see if she can bring a nice match to Shida.  I like the potential of an AEW-NWA relationship.  AEW has some talent right now that is not being featured that could benefit from a studio run.  That's assuming NWA returns some time in the near future.

I skimmed the Women's tag.  I saw much of this tournament, and love the idea of the division getting it's own youtube show.  I think it could be vital in helping get some of these ladies prepared for TV.  Seeing this match slotted in on Dynamite showed clearly that some participants are not quite ready.  Ivelisse is the only one of the four who seems truly ready for TV right now.  This tournament debuted Swole II and Tay Conti whom are also ready for TV, and ought to be featured going forth.   

Cody-Brodie was just terrific!  Another simple idea executed so tremendously well.  This was a good show, but this last segment was spectacular.  They really hit all the right notes.  Very unselfish move from Cody.  Ana Jay's attack on Brandi was beautiful. Brodie Lee is just awesome!  It's great to see such a talented performer gain the confidence needed to excelerate to the next level.  They launched a new star tonight.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I mentioned him already but I'll mention him again.  Ricky Starks has main event level potential.  The prospects AEW have.. it's like they were tanking for 8 years and now they have a budding dynasty.  I really think a few of these guys are going to catch fire and take AEW to the next level.  

Edit: Where the hell is Hunter in all this? I know WWE/NXT have more talent than they know what to do with but they dropped the ball on a lot of these dudes.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

Holy shit! That ending! I thought about it more and they've basically built to Cody getting murked for weeks now with Cody acting cockier and cockier. He was edging towards being a heel, we all thought that's where it was headed, and they turn things 180 degrees and Cody not only re-established himself as a babyface, but Brodie got put over huge.

Brodie and the Dark Order have never looked better. @EVA got it 100% correct when he said that the BTE segments have essentially saved them and allowed Brodie to find himself.

Man, that was fucking crazy good.

It felt like a million things happened on Dynamite and most of them were good to great. Ricky Starks had me rolling. If I could point to any flaws, it would be having FTR speak instead of Tully...Ooh, but maybe we wind up with Tully setting Page straight ala Ole telling Sting he's out of the Horsemen and then FTR turn on Page. That would be cool.

• Like 3

That ending was just spectacular an opens up so many options. Love that Arn kayfabe sold it earlier this week on his pod, too.

Lee Clubber Lang’ing Cody can take you down the Cody redemption babyface road, the “it’s your fault because I had bad training” heel road, all while Lee crushes jabronies until someone (Darby?) takes it. 

I agree on the comment about the young AEW talent pool being an indictment on WWE developmental. How many of the top 10 male North American talents under 30 do they even have signed? Allin, Starks, Sammy, MJF, Fenix, JB...I’ll give WWE Angel Garza, Carrillo and Otis, I guess? It’s a no contest slam dunk AEW win. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

The Cody squash was a bit hard to swallow, but if you want to put Brodie Lee on the map as a supervillain and take the silliness out of Dark Order, that's the way you do it.  All of these open, high profile challenges for the TNT championship and Cody selling the worth of the belt have been laying the groundwork to elevate Lee.  It is awesome to see a plan come to fruition.

Now they need to put the tag titles on Stu and Uno so that the entire Dark Order roster can defend the belts via Freebird rules.

I need to see Hikaru Shida vs. Thunder Rosa like yesterday.

MJF petitioning to ban Mox's finishing move is the chicken shit heel thing I'd expect him to do.  It's fucking great!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I agree on the comment about the young AEW talent pool being an indictment on WWE developmental. How many of the top 10 male North American talents under 30 do they even have signed? Allin, Starks, Sammy, MJF, Fenix, JB...I’ll give WWE Angel Garza, Carrillo and Otis, I guess? It’s a no contest slam dunk AEW win. 

Don’t forget Velveteen Dream!

• Haha 2

That final match/segment was awesome. Had looked up for a second after the lariat expecting Cody to kick out. Did not see the win coming that quickly or decisively even though I had an inkling Lee might win. His jacket tonight was a big improvement on the old robe, better fitting - he looks boss! When Brandi came out I wondered would Brodie lay hands on her, glad to see Anna Jay get a chance to shine instead. All aboard the Dark Order train, thought Silver, Reynolds and Angels all put in good showings too. 

Speaking of which, I'm intrigued by Kenny Omega. I really see him joining forces with FTR leaving Hangman to reluctantly team with the Bucks going forward. The story between all 3 teams is really being played well. 

Future looks bright in AEW with some nice recent acquisitions, both King and Starks had some quality promos and think Starks - Allin could be a really good match. 

I could do with less Natural Nightmares, they don't do anything for me. QT looks bemused out there and doesn't sell well. Dustins destroyer looked very sloppy, he shouldn't be wrestling these high tempo matches. 

MIMOSA MAYHEM BAY-BAY!!! This could be brilliant or terrible with nothing in between. The video hyping it was hilarious. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I could do with less Natural Nightmares, they don't do anything for me. QT looks bemused out there and doesn't sell well. Dustins destroyer looked very sloppy, he shouldn't be wrestling these high tempo matches.

He seems to look a little younger at least since returning (no longer 35-going-on-50), but yeah QT Marshall especially should not be on TV with the options they have, nor Dustin either. There was a segment at the beginning of the match where Luchas were delivering chops to QT on the outside and he looked best-described as if someone was shining a very weak torch in his eyes. Very odd work. They really do love huge stables on AEW .. not sure why B&Blade need to be added too when Luchas Bros/Kingston is ample (actually thought Kingston was coming out to help them beat down B&Blade) but see where it goes.

Cornette will be a huge fan of Mimosa Mayhem.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

So does Cody realize his “Family” are holding him back, and that’s why he aligns himself with Tully’s way of thinking? I was thinking they just back themselves into a contrived swerve, but it looks like they want to go into this with logic if they do the turn. It would be funny if Cody is adopted into Tully’s family, and he becomes Cody Blanchard after being adamant about not using his fathers gimmick name.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I've gotta echo everyone here, that closing angle was just freakin awesome. Heavy NWO vibes in the best possible way and God damn Anna Jay grabbing Brandi was the icing on the cake. And they got Arn!! No one's gotten to Arn since like 2002!! I cannot say enough about it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Cody squash was a bit hard to swallow, but if you want to put Brodie Lee on the map as a supervillain and take the silliness out of Dark Order, that's the way you do it.  All of these open, high profile challenges for the TNT championship and Cody selling the worth of the belt have been laying the groundwork to elevate Lee.  It is awesome to see a plan come to fruition.

Now they need to put the tag titles on Stu and Uno so that the entire Dark Order roster can defend the belts via Freebird rules.

I need to see Hikaru Shida vs. Thunder Rosa like yesterday.

MJF petitioning to ban Mox's finishing move is the chicken shit heel thing I'd expect him to do.  It's fucking great!

The nice thing is that Mox does have other moves he can use as finishers now- the Gotch piledriver, various submissions.  AEW has gotten over some that top guys can win with moves other than their finishers.

• Like 4