DVDVR Message Board

UFC 252: Miočić vs. Cormier III (8/15/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EctvMgWXsAImNVT.jpeg?1594589697

UFC 252: Miočić vs. Cormier III 
August 15, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Stipe Miočić © (233) vs. Daniel Cormier (236) (first defense) - Miočić, DEC (unanimous)
Sean O'Malley (136) vs. Marlon Vera (136) - Vera, TKO (punches), R1 (4:40)
Junior dos Santos (238.5) vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik (254) - Rozenstruik, TKO (punches), R2 (3:47)
Herbert Burns (149.5)** vs. Daniel Pineda (146) - Pineda, TKO (elbows), R2 (4:37)
John Dodson (136) vs. Merab Dvalishvili (136) - Dvalishvili, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Jim Miller (156) vs. Vinc Pichel (156) - Pichel, DEC (unanimous)
Felice Herrig (116) vs. Virna Jandiroba (115.5) - Jandiroba, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:44)
TJ Brown (146.5)* vs. Danny Chavez (146) - Chavez, DEC (unanimous)
Ashley Yoder (115.5) vs. Lívia Renata Souza (115.5) - Souza, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/ESPN+/Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Chris Daukaus (241) vs. Parker Porter (264.5) - Daukaus, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:28)
Kai Kamaka III (145.5) vs. Tony Kelley (145.5) - Kamaka III, DEC

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Virna Jandiroba
Performance of the Night: Daniel Pineda
Fight of the Night: Kai Kamaka III vs. Tony Kelley

Buyrate: 500,000

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Since Cutelaba vs. Ankalaev got removed due to Cutelaba testing positive for COVID-19, the slotting of the card (well everything after Dodson vs. Dvalishvili) isn't finalized yet.

Daniel Cormier KO'd Stipe Miocic in the very first round of their first fight while Miocic won the rematch by TKO in the fourth round with the body shots hurting DC leading to the finish. Tough fight to call. I expect Miocic to be ripping those body punches early doors and how Cormier copes with them. Again, it's a difficult fight to predict. I'm going with DC by TKO in three.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since Cutelaba vs. Ankalaev got removed due to Cutelaba testing positive for COVID-19, the slotting of the card (well everything after Dodson vs. Dvalishvili) isn't finalized yet.

Update on this

Man, those fingers extended towards Miocic were egregious for all however many minutes of the fight. The punch with finger flicks is extra.

Two very good offensive fighters with terrible defense. 

• Like 2

I'm picking Stipe Moicic for this one. I know Daniel Cormier wants that storybook finish to his career, but that's the problem fighters face when they get to this point. They are looking for that storybook perfect moment to walk away from that they are never able to achieve because they can't. And then maybe they get that great perfect moment but they decide to keep going. For a long time Cormier promised he was retiring at 40 and that didn't happen either. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Stipe looks like he's about to teach me about 17th century European history (and fuck up anybody talking during his lectures). 

I appreciate this comment because I also thought he looked like a college professor now.

I think Stipe has this as well, but there's no way I'm counting DC out or would be surprised to see him win. Meltzer was saying DC feels like he's in great shape, but so many fighters say that and then afterward you hear how much they were hurting.

• Like 1

I favour DC pretty heavily. Way harder puncher and he was teeing off on Stipe in the rematch before succumbing. Both guys are so bad defensively, I do feel like it could be won by whether or not DC gets those clinches going again. He's way more effective inside than Miocic, who is better at range with straight punches. But yeah, both show little to no head movement, or if he does move his head, DC tends to do the predictable lean that Jones caught him with, bad footwork, all offense. I don't see how it's not entertaining. I'm also hoping for a DC win and for a cheeky Jon Jones call out. That is DC's real legacy fight and his white whale. He looked great in the last one before he suddenly didn't. 

• Like 4

It's hard getting a read on two guys who don't fight regularly. You could have two guys who go out and look rusty as hell.

With that said, I think I favor Cormier as Cormier's punches tend to hurt Stipe anytime he really lands them. Maybe DC has a better pokerface, but I dunno if letting a guy use your face to punch himself into exhaustion is a great plan that can be replicated. 

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I favour DC pretty heavily. Way harder puncher and he was teeing off on Stipe in the rematch before succumbing. Both guys are so bad defensively, I do feel like it could be won by whether or not DC gets those clinches going again. He's way more effective inside than Miocic, who is better at range with straight punches. But yeah, both show little to no head movement, or if he does move his head, DC tends to do the predictable lean that Jones caught him with, bad footwork, all offense. I don't see how it's not entertaining. I'm also hoping for a DC win and for a cheeky Jon Jones call out. That is DC's real legacy fight and his white whale. He looked great in the last one before he suddenly didn't. 

I thought I was going to be the only person to pick Daniel Cormier to beat Stipe Miocic.

• jaedmc pinned this topic