DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 30.

The Natural

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I'm guessing Japan doesn't have open-container laws? 

Basically you can drink on the street (or the train), but of course some places, like parks with entry fees or shrines and the like, can enforce their own rules.  I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I must admit, strolling down the street with a beer or sitting in a park with one and not having to worry about it is a really nice feeling.  

• Like 2

Japan used to have beer vending machines everywhere. They automatically turned off late at night. They were in every train station and at random places with the rest of the vending machines. They have been mostly pulled in Tokyo. I think that they are only in front of liquor stores and in hotels now. I remember buying a half gallon jug of beer out of a machine. I guess that the old answer to the question of "can't underage kids buy beer from them?" of "they're not allowed to" really wasn't true.

It's not like they are very rigorous at convenience stores and most markets where "press this button if you are of age to buy alcohol, we trust you" is standard operation. Cashiers having eyes will stop most kids from buying alcohol but a teenager not wearing a school uniform has a good chance. At least with some beer vending machines you had to put your drivers license in to verify...something. I was never sure how they worked.