DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 30.

The Natural

Man... I got home from work exactly in time to catch Ishii's entrance. Like it was fate or something. 

That match gave me a rare gift. Marking out, not for the quality of the work or the stiffness or the spots or whatever. Marking out because I really, really wanted this particular "good guy" to beat this particular "bad guy" on this particular night. Absolute f'n roller coaster ride. Even the Gedo stuff totally worked on me tonight. I was 100% losing it: SCREW YOU GEDO! LET'S GO ISHII!!!!!

Oh boy was that fun. Cannot adequately express how much I enjoyed that.

EDIT: Without spoiling anything, Ospreay vs Okada had a twist I DEFINITELY did not see coming, and Ibushii vs Taichi Without Miho Abe was a genuinely unique pro wrestling match. This was another night of very good and entertaining stuff from A Block.

Can't wait to read everyone's reactions to Ibushii vs Taichi, Okada vs Ospreay, and the Main Event. I've been popping like Orville Redenbacher all night here.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 4

Finals of Block A (Night 17) was entertaining: better than Night 15 but still not as good as most Block B events.

Cobb v. Takahashi was better than I thought it'd be. Don't like Yujiro at all, but when he finally hit his DDT finisher, there was a sense of bittersweet finality to his run over the past few weeks. In his last match, he finally hit his big move and took away a win. Cobb looked great here against a guy who doesn't appear built for Cobb's offense (a bit denser than some of these leaner dudes).

Suzuki v. Takagi was fun. Might be my favorite match of the show (other than the main event).

Ospreay v. Okada was . . . meh. There was a strong sense of urgency and high stakes to it from the very beginning, but the ****ing Cobra Clutch, man . . . it's a buzzkill every time. I imagine other folks will enjoy this and the finishing angle more than me. It is a bit surreal to see a former indy darling go toe-to-toe with Okada (even if it's a much deflated version of Okada).

Ibushi v. Taichi was – aside from a pretty killer sweep kick – a boring 17 minutes of repeated butt and leg kicks. No thank you. Not pleased at all but not surprised with the result.

Ishii v. Jay White was GREAT. It made sitting through repeatedly boring interference worthwhile (in the sense @gordi gives above). Ishii is easily in my Top 5 (and maybe Top 3) performers in this tournament. One of my favorite main events too. Maybe my favorite.

• Like 2

Looks to me like the block winner was purposely booked to have a quiet tournament so it'd be a surprise when he won the block. Even his win on the final night didn't spotlight him. The spotlight was on how the match was worked.

• Like 2

Honestly, surprised Ishii won. He tends to lose a lot of his big time matchups. 

Surprised by the Ospreay heel turn as well but we’ll see where it goes.

I think Kelly, Romero and Carlton is an instance where the three-man announce team works well together. Carlton’s audio sounded a bit iffy at first, but I think they smoothed it out later in the show. I’m guessing he was recording from a separate location.

Edited by TheVileOne

On 10/14/2020 at 7:10 AM, doctorhbomb said:

Yano v. Naito was a delight. Naito's stalling was a nice touch; I enjoy the willingness of the aces to mix it up with Yano's silliness, and I laughed out loud when Naito was hiding from Yano only to try to sneakily remove the turnbuckle pad....

Btw, the preliminary matches continue to be consistently great matches. No DDTs. No leg slaps. No super kicks. No standing flip splashes. No apron spots. No X-on-the-knee.

I got so far behind that I was going to have to consolidate all of my thoughts in to one post at some point, but you hit on two of the things I wanted to mention with your post.

For the Yano discussion a few pages back - one of the best moments of this G1 for me was Yano switching to Spanish to ask where Naito was, as if that would lure him out...brilliant.

The Young Lions were called out for lack of apron spots...but is it just me, or have we seen a significant reduction in these spots overall? In other NJPW tournaments over the last several years it seemed like we were getting a dumb, dangerous-looking apron spot every other match, with it never actually leading directly to the finish. My memory may be spotty, but I think we've only seen one or two apron spots total for this entire tournament. I don't miss them - there's more than enough talent on the roster that compelling matches can be had without stuff like that.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 1

Wow that Ibushi/Taichi match was something, with Ibushi’s love of pushing the artistic boundaries of wrestling I can see him coming up to the Holy Emperor and saying ‘what if we just kick each other in the hamstring for 20 minutes until we can’t stand...then fall over and do it some more?’
Cody likes to talk about wrestlers playing their own music, that was like a Steve Reich piece with the trance-like repetitive percussion and the minimalism.

I have enjoyed Taichi a hell of a lot more than usual during this G1, his match has become one to look forward to (Juice, YOSHI-HASHI  and Yujiro being the ones who usually cause a automatic fast forward). I can’t believe it’s over for one block already.

Also it was heartwarming to hear the instinctive screams of joy at the finish of the main event before the Japanese crowd remembered their decorum and reverted to clapping.

EDIT: forgot to say on the Ospreay stuff, I find him more goofy on the acting and angles stuff than Cornette finds Omega so not enthralled by Gedo allocating one of his precious few non-match story developments to Billy No Brains.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

Tonight, I believe that EVIL vs SANADA is going on last. If Naito wins the semi-main then SANADA can only play spoiler. If KENTA beats Naito, then the winner of the main goes to the finals. Naito needs a win and a SANADA victory. For me, Naito would be the most satisfying winner, and EVIL the least satisfying.

So, I will genuinely be pulling for Naito, then regardless of how that goes I'll be pulling for SANADA. It's likely I'll be genuinely marking out for two long matches tonight. Looking forward to that!

I'll be totally deflated if EVIL wins... But then I'll be marking out for 

Spoiler

Ibushi

tomorrow, so it's all good.

Unless EVIL wins it all to set up EVIL vs NAITO at WK.

Spoiler

Also: I wonder if Ibushi having been kicked in the leg again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again will factor into the story of the finals at all.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

As I'm not an avid watcher I don't know everyone working NJPW. Who is likely to join Ospreay in his new stable?

It's a good question! I don't feel like there are a lot of "loose" heels or even potential heels floating around in New Japan without any alignment. They might just keep it a trio for now, add one of the young lions (Kidd, maybe?), possibly bring in someone from Rev Pro like Rampage Brown???

It kinda feels like we are heading toward a Bullet Club Explodes storyline so when that plays out it might lead to some realignment. A Jay White face turn might be in the cards, which gives Ospreay a role to slot into if and when...

Red Shoes' kid is on excursion in Rev Pro, I think, and he is pretty good in the ring... but he also seems like more of a natural face. Jeff Cobb isn't aligned with anyone as far as I am aware, but the crowd seems to like him, too. 

Maybe David Finlay? Marty Scurll??

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eivion said:

As I'm not an avid watcher I don't know everyone working NJPW. Who is likely to join Ospreay in his new stable?

That is an  interesting question, and I enjoy seeing something fresh with a new stable. Yes, you just had Evil turn on LIJ this summer, but I personally think that he was pushed too far by taking the double gold off of Naito, and also that Evil would have been a much better fit as the new leader of Suzuki-Gun (and if you knew that Jay White could go back to Japan a couple of months later, would you further bloat Bullet Club with Evil joining and the Evil-Togo act mimicking Jay-Gedo). To get back to Ospreay's new stable, if you want to give Ospreay a serious push with the Western audience that watches, it absolutely has to be as a heel now. I personally buy him as an aloof, arrogant heel, so think he will fit in well in that role. Also, you can (and probably need to have) Bea as the brains of the outfit and scheme for all of the plans of the group. Plus, you can eventually have Bea turn on Will down the line for him to have a face run towards the top (and enough time passes from Speaking Out to where Ospreay could remotely be a face to a decent portion of the audience).

For possible members of the group, Shota Umino has also been on excursion on England (but only for a year), so maybe they tie that in with the Great O-Kharn. I could see him peeling off a couple of members of Chaos. Goto could conceivably turn, as his career has basically been in neutral ever since he joined Chaos in 2016. Also, Yoshi-Hashi has shown has nice flashes in losing G1 efforts, and you could go with him turning to the dark side to to that next step forward in his career. I've thought of Ishii turning to be an enforcer of a heel group for a couple of years now, but you already have O-Kharn as the heater of the group, and the NJPW announcers were selling that ishii and Ospreay hate each other (which of course means little in wrestling, and hell may be a sign that Ishii eventually turns and joins the group). People have posted rumors that Suzuki is close to done with New Japan, so maybe Ospreay's group co-opts some of Suzuki-Gun (and Taichi potentially turns face out of that, as there have been hints of a Taichi face-turn during the G1). I will say that the factions feel heel heavy right know, with only Chaos and basically LIJ at this stage as face groups. They also are a bit stale (Suzuki-Gun) and a combination of stale and bloated (Bullet Club), so I would not mind if Ospreay's group becomes the pre-eminent heel stable in New Japan. I will say with tonight's events in full, I almost think that Taichi should have beaten Ibushi and Ospreay ends up winning the block.

On the whole, the A block finals were the best night of overall programming since the Elite left New Japan IMO. There have been great moments (Hiromu's return, Naito winning the double gold at Wrestle Kingdom, Liger's retirement tour), great matches (Shingo-Ospreay at the 2019 BOSJ finals, Juice-Moxley at the same event, a ton in last year's G1, all three titles matches at Wrestle Kingdom double gold chase), but a somewhat stale feeling for the product. Tonight, I think you meshed the strong matches with the storytelling. Four of the five matches tonight were really good in their own ways (I loved Ibushi-Taichi trying to out-tough each other with the leg kicks, and one big move after the kicks ending it), with a heel turn and group that makes a ton of sense on paper and worked excellently in execution. Also, while I panned the Evil turn earlier (more so the where and how of he turned then the idea of him turning), that was at least a fresh move. Unfortunately, Rvial and Togo became a Switchblade-Gedo cosplay while they were gone, and a possible fresh turn quickly turned stale. I am much more optimistic for Ospreay's turn and group, especially since it will likely be a totally new group. I am really looking forward to seeing where everything goes the next few months heading into Wrestle Kingdom, with the B Block finals and overall G1 finals this weekend. I also wish that they could have found a way to tie in the G1 Finals and King of Pro Wrestling event like they did with the New Japan Cup finals and Dominion, especially as I'd like to see more instant follow-up on Ospreay's turn and group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

With BoSJ around the corner, I think he'll get a junior in his ranks. Robbie Eagles is the obvious one here, but he sucks as a heel. Also I don't know if he'd even go over at this point and potentially be away from his family for months or if he could even get a travel exemption to leave Australia (Aus citizens can't leave without a government approved exemption and while a goalkeeper signing for a Danish 2nd division club got one, I dunno if a pro wrestler would).

Re: Eagles and Australia, there is talk again of a pacific bubble with Japan although early days still and you never know what tomorrow will bring. I said my piece about Ospreay but I do concede if it is a catalyst for freshening up the factions then I wouldn’t be averse to that depending on how it all shakes out. 

Yesterday was the better block final for me, KENTA and Naito never seemed to get to that higher gear with any urgency and then a flat finish, a fairly dull Yano match by his standards and Juice/Goto no better or worse than expected. The main was entertaining enough, it would have been nice if Hiromu had played equaliser a bit sooner and we could have had a bit less fuckery and more of the familiar ex tag partners going toe for toe. Also, the haters of the Paradise Lock have double the reason to hate tonight. I do wonder what the ‘serious business’ pure sports build zealots make of a main event in the world’s most prestigious tournament where a couple of blokes were curled up with their arse in the air pretending to be immobile. It is pretty absurd but the schtick is the schtick. 

• Like 3

am way behind here (don't mind spoilers, as a superior being I am here just for the art of Yujiro trudging slowly) but I skipped on to Day 13, which I heard some of the most amazing rave reviews for. I liked the show a lot but 5.25 for Ibushi-Suzuki is the final nail in the coffin of believing DAVE as an accurate match-rater. As for his claim that it was the best night of G1 blocks ever, then I just think he must be on glue.

• Like 2

I really hope Kota Ibushi beats SANADA in G1 Climax 30 Finals. Ibushi's looking to become the first to win back to back finals since Hiroyoshi Tenzan (2003-2004). I do believe that Kota Ibushi would have won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship from Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 14 if it wasn't Double Gold unifying the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship. It was Tetsuya Naito's time. I'm predicting Ibushi wins at Wrestle Kingdom 15.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

am way behind here (don't mind spoilers, as a superior being I am here just for the art of Yujiro trudging slowly) but I skipped on to Day 13, which I heard some of the most amazing rave reviews for. I liked the show a lot but 5.25 for Ibushi-Suzuki is the final nail in the coffin of believing DAVE as an accurate match-rater. As for his claim that it was the best night of G1 blocks ever, then I just think he must be on glue.

The star rating needed to stick at five. I do them for fun and I've never exceeded that. Dave loves his NJPW and AJPW more than WWE.

Block B final (Night 18) was okay. I didn't enjoy Night 17 as much as others (especially the Leg Kick Match), but it had a big angle (mostly lost on me but clearly significant) and really fun/good matches. It was a better final.

Yano v. Yoshi-Hashi might be the first time in the tournament where I was disappointed with a Yano match. He usually pulled out something new—or some new variation on an old trick—but here the variants just didn't seem fresh enough. I give him props for keeping his schtick fresh this far into the tournament.

Juice v. Goto was fine but not too remarkable. Liked that Juice held onto the hammerlock when pushing Goto into the post / turnbuckle pads. Often see wrestlers released hammerlocks really early and just unrealistically lead their opponent over to a guardrail or ring post. (I mean, all of this is unrealistic, but you know what I mean. Good technique.)

Tanahashi v. ZSJ was more up my alley but without any clear stakes it was hard to get invested. Intense wrestling and counter wrestling (especially early on with ZSJ's use of the headscissors). Like that ZSJ tried to keep wrestling after the bell. 

KENTA v. Naito was okay. Don't remember much about it. Except that KENTA used his flimsy briefcase and that it was too long.

EVIL v. SANADA was not good but the crowd's investment helped a lot. WAY too long. Fourth match of the night that ended in a cradle or flash pin. Oof. That Dragon "Sleeper"/Forehead Vice . . . Ishii overcoming Jay White / Gedo was way more fun than SANADA surviving EVIL/Goto.

I'm torn about the final. Not a fan of Ibushi but not too excited for a SANADA win either. Intrigued to see how it will play out and if the angle with Ospreay might factor in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Paradise Lock also sucks.

tenor.gif?itemid=17789863

I'm intrigued by the sexy boy final and will watch some of the more highly recommended matches over the next month or so. Probably mostly just watch Taichi and Juice matches tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4