DVDVR Message Board

Champion Carnival 2020

Control

Yowza. That was crazy. Not sure how it will come across to anyone watching after the fact, knowing the outcome, not having any particular rooting interest... but I was marking the hell out here. 

Finished work in time to catch Cobb v White, switched over to AJPW TV, marked out like a little kid, then switched back just in time to catch the start of Ospreay v Ibushi. Pretty good time to finish work early-ish then be stuck at home in front of the computer screen!!

Baba, Abdullah, Jumbo, Hansen, Kawada, Misawa, Taue, Vader, Kobashi, Tenryu, Mutoh, Kensuke, Suwama, MiSu, Akiyama, Sekimoto, Ishikawa...

Spoiler

...and my boy Zeus!!!

Word on the street has Zeus v Suwama for the TC in Osaka on the 17th. I really wish I could be there but:

- my wife is a Hospital nurse (a midwife) and if I get sick she can't go to work so I am being super extra cautious and

- I can't imagine myself being able to sit quietly and not scream and yell during that match. 

Zeus is an old friend from his Osaka Pro days and Suwama is a friend of my old friend Yuji... they are both great guys and I feel like I am on a strict diet and someone just opened an amazing bakery next door (if that makes sense)... I wish I could be there to support them both (particularly Zeus). 

Hopefully at least I'll be able to watch it online and mark out like a little kid one more time this month. 

386948_10151595268465358_2012207640_n.jp

296265_10150404305890358_834693072_n.jpg

Edited by gordi
  • Like 4

OK not sure if I'm still supposed to spoiler things or not!

Spoiler

Holy shit, Zeus won! Just finished it now--managed to go in unspoiled! Great match and so happy for Zeus. I'll write up some more coherent thoughts later.

Hope we get another Zeus TC run, honestly. Keep Kento occupied feuding with Enfants, maybe over the tag belts (VG gotta lose them sometime, right?).

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

I said I'd write up some more coherent thoughts later. And I didn't! But I will say:

I love when Big Match Zeus shows up. Dude was finishing everyone with facelocks and a fucking chop throughout the tournament, and then the finals rolls around and he busts out a missile dropkick, a frog splash, an air raid crash on the apron, and that cool looking second rope superplex, where he hoists his opponent from the apron back into the ring. Put all the gold on this dude.

Kento was great, as usual, but he patently doesn't bring anything new to the table that he didn't bring in the league matches. It's true that his league matches were more epic than Zeus's--I think big man's matches were all under 10 minutes, or thereabouts--but it would be cool if he could distinguish between his opponents, and the stakes, by varying his approach a bit. (But I guess he's the ace and he doesn't vary his approach, his opponents do).

Hard to imagine Suwama dropping the belt after such a crap performance in the CC--he'd be going out quite flat--but also don't want to see them drop the ball on Zeus's current push. So ... ?

I really liked those matches going short. It's something puro desperately needs, is to put the brakes on its tendency to go long. Watching New Japan on AXS burned me out so hard that even though I've got access to NJ World I've checked out only one match from the G1 so far. 

I also liked that that Air Raid Crash (or was it a White Noise? Or are those the same?) was a relatively safe back bump instead of the neck crusher it could have been.

• Like 2