DVDVR Message Board

(Marvel's) Avengers, ASSEMBLE!

SirFozzie

So the new thing to bitch about in the community are the MCU skins. Various ones have leaked due to a glitch in the Mega Hive operation, but they officially revealed the Black Widow one from Endgame - launching side by side with the Red Room Takeover, so they're seemingly releasing these things one by one - and fans online like the outfit, but are complaining that they didn't change the hair.

Generally I'd say, yeah, this is a dumb thing to complain about, but there are multiple skins for Widow in the game that have different hairstyles so why they couldn't recreate her Endgame look is beyond me. Other than that, it's a 1:1 comparison, it's basically perfect.

When they do a Ronin MCU outfit, that's going to make their heads explode. But, again, like Natasha in the game, he has various skins with different hairstyles, so there's no real reason why they can't do that wild hairstyle he had in Endgame.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

The hair thing doesn't bother me so much as they turned a new AAA Avengers video game into a live-service scam. This shouldn't be rocket science. 

To squander the AVENGERS licence is ineptitude of the highest order. Do them justice as Batman in Batman: Arkham Asylum/Batman: Arkham City and Spider-Man from Spider-Man (2000) by Activision. Haven't played Spider-Man by Insomniac Games but what I've seen, Spidey was done justice.

• Like 1

When Square Enix first announced the Avengers game, this certainly wasn't what I had in mind. Like yes, I think some co-op type missions could be OK, but more on like a Ultimate Alliance level.

Also, you are creating an Avengers game, give the heroes some cool villains and boss fights to deal with. That should be a major part of these games. 

• Like 1

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City dived deep into Batman's rogues gallery with the Joker, Bane, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler and Two-Face.

Spider-Man (2000) had Doctor Octopus, Venom, Carnage, Mysterio and Scorpion.

Avengers only had Taskmaster, Abomination, MODOK but plenty of robot cannon fodder to compensate! Mind boggling that a key component of not just superhero games but games period, boss battles are so lacking here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City dived deep into Batman's rogues gallery with the Joker, Bane, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler and Two-Face.

Avengers only had Taskmaster, Abomination, MODOK but plenty of robot cannon fodder to compensate! Mind boggling that a key component of not just superhero games but games period, boss battles are so lacking here.

In the very first Avengers game, Captain America and the Avengers, you fight no less than Klaw, Living Laser, Whirlwind, Wizard, The Grim Reaper, Mandarin, Juggernaut, Ultron, Crossbones, and Red Skull. And that's just an arcade beat 'em up from 30 years ago.

• Like 2

I'm less annoyed about it being a GaaS thing, and more about the lack of content. COVID played a factor, sure, but you can't put the blame on COVID for everything. Stuff should have been ready to go when the game launched. There's absolutely no reason that it's May 2021, and I'm still playing the same missions over and over again in the live service part to level up my characters, get loot, etc. I mean, yeah, there's like 30 different missions, sure, but clusters of 10 or so are in the same areas, use the same assets, but are just different mission objectives. And releasing two of the same type of characters - Kate Bishop and Hawkeye - within months of each other is just a weird move. I'm not even sure if Spider-Man is going to be a thing in this game now, since he wasn't on the road map they talked about a month or so ago.

They could have 20 villains in this game, and it wouldn't matter. I've been in parties as recently as last weekend where members of the strike team one-shot killed the bosses. The other thing that pisses me off currently is that maybe a month ago, they temporarily took away the option to buy outfits, nameplates and takedowns from the in-game vendor. You have to go offline to even buy anything from her, and it's not a full selection either. Supposedly they're reworking this and the loot, and that's why, but it's really annoying.

I really hope this gets a Final Fantasy Online type rebirth, because honestly I still enjoy playing this a few hours a week. And I'm still trying for the platinum, but I think it's glitched, not entirely sure. Why the PS5 version doesn't have trophy support, but has challenge cards, is beyond me. Terminator: Resistance's PS5 version launched TODAY, and it has all of that. And it's a smaller dev team than this game - but on the flipside, it doesn't try to be anything other than a FPS with RPG style dialogue choices.

Edited by Casey

57 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm less annoyed about it being a GaaS thing, and more about the lack of content. COVID played a factor, sure, but you can't put the blame on COVID for everything. Stuff should have been ready to go when the game launched. There's absolutely no reason that it's May 2021, and I'm still playing the same missions over and over again in the live service part to level up my characters, get loot, etc. I mean, yeah, there's like 30 different missions, sure, but clusters of 10 or so are in the same areas, use the same assets, but are just different mission objectives. And releasing two of the same type of characters - Kate Bishop and Hawkeye - within months of each other is just a weird move. I'm not even sure if Spider-Man is going to be a thing in this game now, since he wasn't on the road map they talked about a month or so ago.

They could have 20 villains in this game, and it wouldn't matter. I've been in parties as recently as last weekend where members of the strike team one-shot killed the bosses. The other thing that pisses me off currently is that maybe a month ago, they temporarily took away the option to buy outfits, nameplates and takedowns from the in-game vendor. You have to go offline to even buy anything from her, and it's not a full selection either. Supposedly they're reworking this and the loot, and that's why, but it's really annoying.

I really hope this gets a Final Fantasy Online type rebirth, because honestly I still enjoy playing this a few hours a week. And I'm still trying for the platinum, but I think it's glitched, not entirely sure. Why the PS5 version doesn't have trophy support, but has challenge cards, is beyond me. Terminator: Resistance's PS5 version launched TODAY, and it has all of that. And it's a smaller dev team than this game - but on the flipside, it doesn't try to be anything other than a FPS with RPG style dialogue choices.

Well the game was first announced in January 2017. So they had to have put a lot of work into it pre-pandemic shutdowns. At least they should've put in a lot of work into it before then. They had a demo build that was previewed at E3 2019. Even back then the demo was sort of questionable.

I don't think this game is going to be saved. It's just gonna be one of those sad stories of what could've been.

Now, adding more heroes like Kate Bishop, Clint Hawkeye, Spider-Man and Black Panther are nice, but what good is having extra characters if you don't have cool levels and enemies to fight? That should be a big part of the gameplay for something like Avengers.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I mean, the Rocksteady Batman games had Joker, Bane, Freeze, RIddler, Two-Face, Deadshot, Mad Hatter, Professor Pyg, Firefly, Penguin, Hush, Man-bat, Red Hood, Ra's, Strange, Croc, Black Mask, Ivy, Harley, Zsasz, and Deathstroke.  If you count Origins, add Lady Shiva, Electrocutioner, Anarchy, and Copperhead.

The Insomniac Spider-Man had Kingpin, Doc Ock, Shocker, Electro, Rhino, Mister Negative, Vulture, Scorpion, Osborne, Taskmaster, Tombstone, Hammerhead, Silver Sable, and fucking Screwball.   And I'm not even into the villians in Miles Morales.  

So yeah, Squeenix dropped the ball on Avengers.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I won't ever play this game. I'd still like to say where it went badly wrong with the AVENGERS licence for fuck's sakes:

• So repetitive. Again and again.
  • The gameplay.
  • The graphics.
  • The bugs.
  • The delays. Main game and DLC.
  • Hardly any boss fights.
  • Dull locations and enemies.
  • Grinding.
  • Shit costumes. Needed to be MCU ones from the start.

I know it’s been said over and over, but it still amazes me how Square Enix dropped the ball with one of the most well known IPs in the world!

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Shit costumes. Needed to be MCU ones from the start.

Avengers had a lot of stuff they did badly, but not having MCU costumes until now wasn't one of them.

I think the thing that really killed it in terms of sales was the free demo weekend. If you've made a bad game based on a good licence, the one thing you shouldn't do before putting it on sale is let people play it. I played the demo, and that convinced me to not buy the game. I'm sure I'm far from being alone in that.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I think the thing that really killed it in terms of sales was the free demo weekend. If you've made a bad game based on a good licence, the one thing you shouldn't do before putting it on sale is let people play it. I played the demo, and that convinced me to not buy the game. I'm sure I'm far from being alone in that.

Nope.  I played the demo and put off buying it.  I still plan to pick it up eventually, but there are probably hundreds of games I'll end up buying first and multiplayer will be dead by the time I get to it (if it's not already).  Good chance I never get around it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not like it matters, nobody plays this fucking game anyway ?

EDIT 2 days after the fact: I meant nobody streams the game. I still play it obviously. And I'm frustrated - the Monica boss fight was pretty cool, I kept dying, then I tried it online instead and the team beat the entire thing in 20 minutes. Oh and they teased Ultron at the end of the entire thing. I would say spoilers, but I mean, who really cares at this point around here about this game besides me (and even then... the newest DLC and beating the Mega Hive just now - finally - is the first time I've played this game in a while).

I still can't get gear drops that are at LVL140, so my power level is always just below 150. Still can't get some of these trophies to pop, even though I know it was completed almost a year ago probably. Ugh, whatever.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Casey said:

look I know a lot of people shit on this game and whatever but Black Panther is fucking fun to play as.

Gamefly had a used copy of this for like $10 so I thought about snagging it. 

• Like 1

For $10 it’s worth it for the single player campaign alone, not like you have to pay for any of the DLC (besides the challenge cards). Not gonna lie, sometimes I just grab a beer and play an hour or two of the online part of the game, and it’s perfectly fine - but incredibly repetitive eventually.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guess I am gonna end up playing this after all as it is being added to Game Pass on Thursday

It apparently will include everything up through the War for Wakanda expansion

EDIT - should note that the eventually Spider-Man DLC will still be PS exclusive

• 2 weeks later...

So adding the game to Game Pass apparently has been a big success so to make sure to ruin that good will - paid timed experience boosts have been added to the cash shop

Just as a reminder - Crystal Dynamics put in a levelling slowdown earlier this year because it might be “confusing and overwhelming to newer players"

Not confusing if you pay for it I guess

After they said previously said, pre-launch last year, that the only thing you'd be able to buy with real world money were cosmetic items (and obviously the credits I guess). r/PlayAvengers on Reddit is on fire right now basically, whereas it's usually a pretty positive place (almost annoyingly so at times). This game is basically dead to me, which sucks because I'm a huge Ms. Marvel fan. I haven't even finished War For Wakanda, because it's just... really boring, honestly. Black Panther is a cool character to play as, he feels different enough from the rest of the roster, but.. ehhh.

Roll on Spider-Man 2, Wolverine and Midnight Suns. I have hope for Guardians from what I've seen, since it's 1) single player and 2) no micro transactions from what I can tell since all of the outfits are unlockable in the game I believe.

Such a disappointment this game turned out to be. Imagine fucking up an Avengers game, something that should have been a 100% sure fire success. My god.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, Casey said:

After they said previously said, pre-launch last year, that the only thing you'd be able to buy with real world money were cosmetic items (and obviously the credits I guess). r/PlayAvengers on Reddit is on fire right now basically, whereas it's usually a pretty positive place (almost annoyingly so at times). This game is basically dead to me, which sucks because I'm a huge Ms. Marvel fan. I haven't even finished War For Wakanda, because it's just... really boring, honestly. Black Panther is a cool character to play as, he feels different enough from the rest of the roster, but.. ehhh.

Roll on Spider-Man 2, Wolverine and Midnight Suns. I have hope for Guardians from what I've seen, since it's 1) single player and 2) no micro transactions from what I can tell since all of the outfits are unlockable in the game I believe.

Such a disappointment this game turned out to be. Imagine fucking up an Avengers game, something that should have been a 100% sure fire success. My god.

It's staggering incompetence. The keys to the Avengers license and how it's gone compared to Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales. I should note I haven't played Avengers or the Spider-Man games. Just watched videos and read reviews.

Speaking of comparisons, GameCentral liked Guardians of the Galaxy a lot more than Avengers:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/25/guardians-of-the-galaxy-game-review-avenging-the-avengers-game-15482627/

Edited by The Natural

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

It's staggering incompetence. The keys to the Avengers license and how it's gone compared to Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales. I should note I haven't played Avengers or the Spider-Man games. Just watched videos and read reviews.

For a game I snagged for $10, I've enjoyed the bit of the single player that I've played. Some characters control better than other, and there is legit fun in playing as Hulk. It makes me hate I never really touched that Ultimate Destruction game from the PS2/Xbox OG era. 

• Like 1