DVDVR Message Board

(Marvel's) Avengers, ASSEMBLE!

SirFozzie

I like the gameplay for a few characters (Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop, Black Widow). Iron Man doesn't feel right, I've barely played as Cap. Hulk feels okay, but he needs to be more OP as we discussed when the game was in beta and then when it launched. Thor is probably the best out of the male characters, honestly. Oddly enough, the female characters are the only ones I've leveled up all the way or almost to the max. Of course Ms. Marvel was my main in the multi-player content, and she was the first I got to LVL50 (but still only at a power level of like, 147. Damnit).

I'm mainly just waiting for the PS5 upgrade so the trophies will be trackable because I'm only like 5 away from 100%ing this thing. I think it might be glitched though, because I know I've at least opened 50 strongboxes and that one hasn't unlocked yet. But either way.

At least he specifically called out Sony, and not just needlessly blaming the game for that. When I got my PS5 I had to have both consoles on at the same time to transfer everything over. I don’t know if that was the same deal for PS3 and PS4, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t for 360 to the One. Sony is weird.

I’m oddly excited to play this, but I’ll no doubt drop it again after this weekend. I’ve occasionally booted it up since I finished Taking AIM. If it has trophy progress that’ll tell me how many missions and strong boxes I have left to open until I get the trophies, I might play it more so I can finally get that goddamn platinum.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:00 AM, Casey said:

At least he specifically called out Sony, and not just needlessly blaming the game for that. When I got my PS5 I had to have both consoles on at the same time to transfer everything over. I don’t know if that was the same deal for PS3 and PS4, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t for 360 to the One. Sony is weird.

It was strange to see Tassi call them out since his lips have been sewn to Sony's sphincter for the past eight years.  He and a few of the writers for Tom's Guide are obviously on the payroll.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That looks like a much, much, much shittier version of Ultimate Iron Man. 

Yeah, that's exactly what it is.

They're releasing a Superior Iron Man skin this week and it's much, much better looking.

zkq73wplttq61.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Remember how you used to say this game was dead, and I'd argue against you about that? Well, I still feel like I was right at that time, but now... I can sit there for 30 minutes and not find a single player to join a mission. Compare that to The Division today, where I found five people that were playing and joined them in missions. That game is 5 years old. Avengers is dead. I'll keep playing the DLC stuff when it's released, because I'm still a Marvel fanboy after all, but jesus christ they dropped the ball HARD.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, Craig H said:

That looks like a much, much, much shittier version of Ultimate Iron Man. 

I liked the armor design used in Ultimates.  The skin in the pic is supposed to the be the armor design from the Ultimate Iron Man miniseries written by Orson Scott Card.  You remember, the miniseries that made Ultimate Iron Man some sort of mutant whose entire body was composed of neural tissue normally only found in the brain.  This was how Card explained Tony being a genius - he was literally all brain.  The armor was originally developed as a biological containment suit designed to protect Tony since he was in great pain from being 100% brain matter.

Yeah..... Fortunately, another writer (Mark Millar) thought that Tony's new origin was very dumb and it was retconned away.

Why Crystal Dynamics didn't paint the armor properly, I dunno.

Incidentally, Kotaku's scathing assessment of the new armor is hilarious and worth a read (text is spoilered for length, not because it gives anything away).

Spoiler

https://kotaku.com/marvel-s-avengers-adds-what-am-i-doing-with-my-life-arm-1846356164

Square Enix’s weekly Marvel’s Avengers blog post went live this morning. That said, there isn’t much to talk about besides the game’s silly new Iron Man outfit, so let’s do that.

Seriously, just look at this thing. I wouldn’t bat an eye if someone told me Tony skinned a Furby for the helmet. It looks like he walked away from a Doctor Whomarathon with an obsession for Cybermen. The armor gives Tony a perpetual “What am I doing with my life?” stare. It won’t strike fear into the hearts of the forces of evil, no, but they’ll at least be doubled over with laughter long enough for the rest of the Avengers to take care of them.

The outfit in question comes courtesy of Ultimate Iron Man, specifically the 2005-2008 run by noted bigot Orson Scott Card that was eventually retconnedinto (no joke) being a cartoon within the actual Ultimate universe. In the comics, Antonio Stark develops the suit from a biological agent his father used to protect Antonio from chronic pain after he mutated in the womb. I haven’t read those issues, but from what I’ve seen, the outfit’s appearance in Marvel’s Avengers is, unfortunately, pretty accurate.

And the funniest part is, you’ll have to part with nearly $15 in real money if you don’t want to grind for the required in-game credits. Still, kudos to the developers at Crystal Dynamics for doing what they could with this dorky, bug-eyed piece of Iron Man history.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Why Crystal Dynamics didn't paint the armor properly, I dunno.

The one I posted was a part of a themed skin set for all characters. They also did the red/silver color scheme, too. 

Also this game is going to PS Now until July, but I doubt that'll save the game since that service only has 2 million users and it's a limited time (compared to something like 20m for Game Pass). It really needs to be a PS Plus title to inject more players into the game, and even then that's not a safe bet.

Edited by Casey

• 3 weeks later...

Tachyon missions are the worst ones they’ve implemented, by far. But I just hate timed missions in general.

I’m wondering if the fact this got added to PS Now has seen a surge in players, since it’s pretty easy for me to find a party online now. Last weekend I got into lobbies fairly regularly and was able to take my Cap from a level 20 something to, like, 34 I think.

The only characters in the game that have pretty shitty skins are Cap and Hulk. The former is because he’s a walking flag so it’s hard to even look cool (IMO), and the latter just has odd choices.

If they keep their word on being able to earn credits in-game, then I might buy some of the MCU skins (and some others). But the only money I’ve spent on the game outside of the initial pre-order is to unlock the challenge card for Kate Bishop. I don’t care about Hawkeye, at all.