DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover XXX (August 22, 2020)

ChesterCopperpot

Everyone is raving about Pat McAfee's performance and justifiably so, but honestly, I want to see more of THIS Adam Cole too. The circumstances of the match forced him out of his standard "Adam Cole match template" and the result was maybe my favorite Adam Cole NXT match ever in terms of emotional content delivered in ways that weren't overly reliant on 2.9/finisher-spam wrestling. I thought he was great at expressing hunger, vengeance, and having a chip on his shoulder, and I would genuinely love to see him get pushed outside of his comfort zone more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

but they didn't want Keith Lee getting choked out for whatever reason

You don't know why they wouldn't want their black champion, who wears Black Lives Matters gear sometimes, to get choked out by a white tattooed man?

Optics matter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

You don't know why they wouldn't want their black champion, who wears Black Lives Matters gear sometimes, to get choked out by a white tattooed man?

Optics matter.

Sounds like heat to me, call me old fashioned if you want.

But seriously.......I mean if he would have used a knee choke or something then I would agree with you, but last time I checked they haven't stopped whitey from choking out black people in MMA. I had, I think you know, already inferred that there was vague talk of someting like 'optics' but frankly if you're going to go with that logic, then probably you just don't push some American History X looking motherfucker right now. As it is, it was a sucky, unconvincing finish - the choke would have been much more effective. I honestly doubt there would have been serious pushback.

When does it become ok for white people to choke out black people in (predetermined) fight sports? If the answer is when something like 'when there's no need for BLM', then basically wrestling just painted itself into a hell of a corner.

Well, I for one was entertained throughout the entire show!

Too bad Thatcher didn't come out on top, but this likely means that Balor is the next top challenger, as was mentioned earlier.

Bronson's Bam Bam tribute was on FIRE! Also liked Priest's entrance gear. The match was crazy, with everyone working really hard! Broson's splash off the ladder with an added 55lbs of extra weight in the form of a poison pixie on his back was excellent. One of the guys I was fine with winning, actually did, so that's ok. Granted, it was the most obvious, not surprising choice of the three, but still.

For a douche, McAfee gave an absolutely brilliant performance. So I guess since he isn't a full time wrestler, the Panama Sunrise was actually good enough for a three count. Nice touch.

I had a feeling Dakota wasn't winning the title just yet, but the match was really good and intense. Kai was losing clumps of hair like Jarl Varg on season 3 of Norsemen! The face-off between Gonzales and Rippley was bad ass, but Rhea has other things going on right now, namely Mercedes Martinez! Will Gonzales cost Rhea that match and they will move on to that feud next?

Scarlet's Poppy-cosplay sure was something! I bet Lee regrets giving up the North American title right about now, huh? Almost a Midnight Express moment for him, right there! He has to be called up to the main roster, though. Kross went straight to the top and NXT is in deep shit right about now! If Dijakovic and Lee can't put this guy away, who the hell can? Well, if the shoulder separation is serious, Kross may actually end up having a Finn Balor moment himself, and that would be very unfortunate!

Overall, this was much better than I expected and while most people certainly will not feel the same way, I'm looking forward to the return of NXT UK in September.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

So I kind of hate Cole's normal style and have little interest in McAffee though he did seem like a solid heel leading in. Is it different  enough from Cole's usual stuff that its worth checking out?

I would say so, yes. And I say this as someone who never really got Adam Cole on the indies and save for a few moments here and there, never really saw what others see in him as a "top guy" in NXT.

• Like 2

That was a great Takeover.

Balor/Thatcher, good match, prob my fav of his since his return. Balor is such a weird cat, like you can see he feels comfortable doing technical wrestling (ever time he has had to roll with technical wrestlers, he demonstrates this), but he doesn't show it in his own move set!

Ladder Match was freakin awesome. Everyone shined, Grimes was the workhorse, very cool spots. Seriously entertaining.

Cole/McAfee, I did remember hearing McAfee have had training but damn he brought his workboots. The last great celebrity match WWE had was Big Show/Floyd Mayweather, this was better. McAfee totally has a future in wrasslin if he wants it, he's got the charisma both inside and outside of the ring.

Shirai/Kai took a bit to start but when they finally gel, it become a good match. Absolutely love Gonzalez.

Lee/Kross, yeah the second Kross stood up from that clothesline and I saw that collar bone poppin. He did some heavy lifting and bumping despite that, much respect.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, The Natural said:

Karrion Kross finished the match with a separated shoulder. Respect.

I actually dislocated my clavicle slightly, along with a a slight tendon tear last summer. Couldn't do shit with the right arm for three weeks. No matter the amount of adrenaline, I cannot fathom doing lifting or bumping of any kind, let alone heavy, with a goddamned separated shoulder! I sure hope this will not sidetrack Kross as badly as Finn's injury did him!

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I actually dislocated my clavicle slightly, along with a a slight tendon tear last summer. Couldn't do shit with the right arm for three weeks. No matter the amount of adrenaline, I cannot fathom doing lifting or bumping of any kind, let alone heavy, with a goddamned separated shoulder! I sure hope this will not sidetrack Kross as badly as Finn's injury did him!

Finn's was the shoulder blade itself, right? I think that was worst?

I forgot which dislocated shoulder was the one everyone says is pretty common and just needs poppin in.

Yeah, I myself was damned lucky the actual shoulder was fine and no bones were broken and in my case there was nothing to pop back in and the joint healed up by itself. I remember Finn saying he did further damage to the shoulder just by raising his arm up after the match. While he was able to pop it back during the match, I guess finishing the match further aggravated the injury. Kinda like Tegan Nox at MYC! I hope Kross escaped with as little damage as possible.

Show was decent enough, but nothing could've been a bigger neon sign that said "quit watching crowdless wrestling" than Kross' fucking amazing entrance being followed by like 3 people golf clapping. That shit deserved 15,000 people chanting "fall and pray."

Adam Cole is probably pretty glad there was no crowd, though, because a 2020 audience would've absolutely eaten up McAfee's Jeff Jarrett/Shelton Benjamin crossover act.

• Like 1