DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

So I haven't watched Thunder Rosa for a couple years now. I liked her, but also thought she was rather average. Her partner Holidead always seemed like the better wrestler to me. I've been hearing good things about her now for the last year so I assume she has improved a good deal. What are some worthwhile matches of hers to check out?

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

So I haven't watched Thunder Rosa for a couple years now. I liked her, but also thought she was rather average. Her partner Holidead always seemed like the better wrestler to me. I've been hearing good things about her now for the last year so I assume she has improved a good deal. What are some worthwhile matches of hers to check out?

Watch nwa power.

• Like 3

I think it was the PPV match with Kay that was exceptionally good.

She was so not good in Lucha Underground in the ring (she was great in the vignettes), so to see her transformation and growth is really fantastic.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I think it was the PPV match with Kay that was exceptionally good.

She was so not good in Lucha Underground in the ring (she was great in the vignettes), so to see her transformation and growth is really fantastic.

I agree with this. I think she's always had physical charisma in particular, but she seems to be putting it together in the ring now. 

Good squash/semi-squash worker, too. 

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Has there ever been a true steakhouse thread on this board?

I feel like the thread would just degenerate into whether we should eat at Mr. Danger's or Ribera. We are on a pro wres message board, after all.

If we were getting in to the steakhouse discussion, I would like to nominate the Buckhorn Steakhouse in Winters, CA. Hella delicious, in a goddamn beautiful building, and cheaper that Morton's or Ruth's Chris. 

• Thanks 1

There is a food thread in the Land of Confusion that can always use some more restaurant talk, especially for this motherfucker who has to travel all over the country for work and definitely deserves a beer and a good steak at the end of most days!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, this might be the opposite. Art is an exercise in creativity, but more specifically, to make art is to want other people to see it and understand something going on. No matter what it is- to paint, to create music, to sculpt, to write, to wrestle- whether it's as big as the musician making "I am making a three minute pop song because it'll be a huge hit and everyone will see it", or as small as "I wrote a piece of fanfiction  and maybe two or three people will think it's interesting", the very act of making art is wanting someone else to see it and understand something you want them to see or feel.

Art may be about creativity, but if someone truly does not care if anyone sees your artwork after its finished and truly not caring about whether anyone else in the world likes it? They're not making art, they're masturbating. 

I disagree with this. Art is an absolute. You can create art in many media for one's own enjoyment. Great artists have produced works not meant for other's eyes, that later got discovered and hailed as art.

However, the very nature of wrestling demands an audience, preferably a live one. The highest form of pro wrestling (again, it is arguable whether rassling is Art (I believe it is not)) is the workers reacting to a crowd. But wrestling without an audience, with no one seeing (let alone paying), is just practicing. Wrestling is time based, in (and of) the moment (the 4th dimension, if you will), it is ephemeral. A poem/movie/song/painting exists after it is made, even without eyes on it. 

cans of worms, Ways of Seeing,

RAF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

If you can take everything that I wrote and immediately turn around into an attack on somebody else and not see a shred of irony in that, I don't think any further discussion will change your mind. For the record, you've been on ignore for quite a while, and it's a great option for you as well if you don't want to hear what other people have to say. 

They attacked me, in a thread about how cyberbullying is wrong. And even now, they don't even have the decency to admit they might have been wrong- hell, they're doubling down right here. If you don't see how relevant that is to what you're saying about how people shouldn't be making unfair insults to people, at least have the common decency to admit that personal attacks are okay as long as you don't like the person. 

51 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I feel like the thread would just degenerate into whether we should eat at Mr. Danger's or Ribera. We are on a pro wres message board, after all.

If we were getting in to the steakhouse discussion, I would like to nominate the Buckhorn Steakhouse in Winters, CA. Hella delicious, in a goddamn beautiful building, and cheaper that Morton's or Ruth's Chris. 

Buckhorn Steakhouse is a goddamn institution, pal! 

For those on the central coast you got to hit up Jocko's in Nipomo.

• Like 1

I've been a reader on this forum for fuck knows how long but only been posting since 2014 and because of a complete lack of post count not one person on here will know me. But as someone who has read this forum for as long as I can remember, it's pretty much, for the most part, always been cool as fuck and I think the mods, again, for the most part, have been cool as fuck about keeping shit in line on here (honestly, not always, but mostly) but I do honestly think that OSJ guy has got away with a lot of shit down the years that other people wouldn't have because, I guess, he's been here a long time? Like that should be an excuse? 

Anyway, to revert it back, Ric Flair is probably formulaic but Ric Flair is also fucking awesome and that, to me, has always been my personal criteria for professional wrestling. Terry Funk, Hansen, Flair, Bret, Austin, Savage? All fucking awesome.

• Like 7

John is a great writer and has some wonderfully positive insights into certain subjects. Check the aforementioned food thread for lots of great home cooking thoughts! All in all I've had a ton of good interactions with him, possibly why these couple of incidents stuck with me long after they happened - not just because of the substance, but them being from a dude I'm usually very happy to interact with. With luck, it's a learning experience for all. 

• Thanks 1

Flair as a heel is sort of one-note in the ring, but he does that one note really consistently well for the JCP/WCW style, at least to me.

Flair as a face is where he gets more interesting in ring for me. My favorite Flair matches (vs. Funk hardcore, vs. Vader) are Flair in the face role. 

But even if he was the shits in ring, which he isn't even close to being, it wouldn't matter because he's one of the three or so best mic workers (in English, at least) to ever live. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

They attacked me, in a thread about how cyberbullying is wrong. And even now, they don't even have the decency to admit they might have been wrong- hell, they're doubling down right here. If you don't see how relevant that is to what you're saying about how people shouldn't be making unfair insults to people, at least have the common decency to admit that personal attacks are okay as long as you don't like the person. 

And you took a heartfelt, sincere plea for civility made by someone else and turned it into an opportunity to hash out old grudges, instead of just letting bygones be bygones. Read the damn room, man.

• Thanks 4