DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone notice this week's Smackdown episode was rated TV 14? The rating bug wasn't present until they came back from break with Big E & Morrison in the back. Not sure if it's for the increased man vs woman interaction, or the violent themes of Retribution. But it's the first TV 14 show since what? 2008? 2009? Wonder if they are tinkering and testing short term or if there's a possibility Smackdown stays a little more adult in theme? Kinda bizarre to just throw it out there like that.

They’re just getting ready for Big E’s main eventer promos.

• Like 1

Okay, so without the obvious jokes about it (way too many in my head right now) why would they call it Thunderdome in the first place?  They could have come up with some lame-ass term for branding purposes and they choose one that people can easily mock them about instead.  I guess that's par for the course anymore but damn.

• Like 1

The...Thunderdome? I can't say the name or look at it without rolling my eyes because of how lame that is. I mean, this is as bad or worse than TNA calling their home studio back in the day the Impact Zone. 

It's not even fucking original. God, they're going to make Thunderdome t-shirts, aren't they?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The...Thunderdome? I can't say the name or look at it without rolling my eyes because of how lame that is. I mean, this is as bad or worse than TNA calling their home studio back in the day the Impact Zone. 

It's not even fucking original. God, they're going to make Thunderdome t-shirts, aren't they?

Remember that first Monday night iMPACT where they brought in Hogan, Flair, etc.? That first match in the giant red cage where Hernandez couldn't get out and then Jeff Hardy showed up, wasn't that called the Thunderdome or is my mind playing tricks?

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's not even fucking original.

Sure, but the good news is it means Vince's understanding of pop culture has reached 1985. 

Of course, WWF was big in pop culture in 85.  What will happen when 2020 Vince discovers 1985 WWF?  VINCEPTION!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Not gonna lie, as corny and cheesy as it is, I'm pretty excited about the Thunderdome.  The whole Performance Center set-up was way too stale (Don't know why they didn't try to change it up a little bit but...) and this is a chance to do something new and try out some new stuff.  Now I know this is WWE so they will probably give up on new stuff very quick and they won't really do anything groundbreaking.  I also think they should introduce every show with ACDC's Thunderstruck because that's a great song (And much better than their "Gonna have a good time" song they're using for Smackdown because rarely does anyone on Smackdown have a good time).  Thunderdome is a pretty cheesy name but they weren't going to hit on something everyone likes anyways so why not?!

BTW, those first three Mad Max movies must be the most ripped-off movie series when it comes to pro wrestling:
-The Road Warriors
-Thunderdome cage match
-Lord Humongus (Sid version)
-Demolition clearly borrowed some of their look from the movie.
-The Master Blaster name
-"Bust a deal, face the wheel" was clearly borrowed 
-Fit Finlay's WCW outfit

Yet the only borrowing I can think of from 'Fury Road' is Becky Lynch taking her entire steampunk look from Riley Keough's character.

• Like 2