DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 8/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, Infinit said:

Maria Kanellis with the pipe bomb!

On 8/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

Pfft. They're just bitter because they didn't grab that brass ring pal!

On 8/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I remember really liking Tiger Claw, and being upset he never got a spotlight episode. I think Ying Yang Man gets one, and doesn’t even win the big cage match. Fuck Ying Yang Man. One eyed fuck.

Edit: Sorry I meant Panther.

Bam was my guy on that show! And I never liked Tsunami because he always came off as lame.

• Like 2

The Kevin Nash shoot that was posted got me watching Kevin Nash shoots and he said in one that his son loves watching Kevin Sullivan in Japan. I didn't know he went to Japan and when I did some cursory searching I couldn't find anything (except him kicking the shoot out of WING Kanemura, that wasn't in Japan but it was very interesting to watch). So is Nash wrong about that or did he mean a different Sullivan or did I just not look hard enough?

I think Kevin was just mistaken (about Kevin haha). I watched the same video after going down a rabbit hole, he really is a good storyteller

EDIT: Whoops. He was in W*ING itself and did a match in FMW against Sheik and Onita. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yes, Gorilla must have come up with the phrase "excellence of execution" since I distinctly recall him referring to other technically superior wrestlers by the exact same nomenclature in mid to late eighties.

Gorilla used to call Cowboy Bob Orton " Excellence of Execution " a lot.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, the jackknife had so many different variations depending on who was taking it and how hard Nash wanted to try. Most of them are the pick up and just let 'em drop kind, which honestly is a cool version and suits BIG DADDY COOL. The others, quite a few of the early ones, are this weird angle that has guys land on their shoulders/neck. Looks very nasty. Then there's the side pick up/shoulder one where they spin and he kinda just lets them do their thing. 

edit: DDP saved Awesome from one going really badly at 8:22.

Double edit: Bischoff taking the powerbomb is the best. I LOVED that so much as a kid.

The Bischoff PB is nuts!  I would think that is the one you would go out of your way to protect him (Though Bischoff was probably all "Let me have it!") but he just kind of launches him casually.  And, yeah, that Awesome one is super scary.

1 hour ago, The Batboy said:

7aeb182efb99788711e44fcadf5f6ee11b841a0a

Re: Kevin Nash; what if this was the Diesel we got?

It kind of is.  Leather pants, goatee, wavy hair.  The biggest change is that flashy purple jacket.

Reminds me of the story Foley told about his costume and how much he hated it and how Vince looked at the sketch and went "This is not what we were asking for" and brought in wardrobe to rethink it.

6 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If only to hear Nash talk shit about it:

I was listening to New Jack on Vlad TV interview, I was reading the comments on how bad of an interviewer Vlad is. As a huge hip hop fan its hard its funny to see wrestling fans who aren't familiar with him just shit on Vlad considering New Jack is probably the most entertaining guy in wrestling to interview. I could see him interesting Nash, I'm sure he's more familiar with Nash plus Nash is pretty familiar to the hip hop audience. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Gorilla used to call Cowboy Bob Orton " Excellence of Execution " a lot.

It fit so perfect with Bret though, with the double meaning of execution and the Hitman nickname.

41 minutes ago, Morganti said:

So watching that jackknife comp, i realize that most of Kevin Nash's power bombs were basically gut wrench throws rather than power bombs lol

He also had a tendency to throw dudes onto their asses

Prichard mentioned on his podcast that Backlund was pissed after that 8 second match because Nash dropped him on his tailbone and he refused to ever take the move again.

38 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I was listening to New Jack on Vlad TV interview, I was reading the comments on how bad of an interviewer Vlad is. As a huge hip hop fan its hard its funny to see wrestling fans who aren't familiar with him just shit on Vlad considering New Jack is probably the most entertaining guy in wrestling to interview. I could see him interesting Nash, I'm sure he's more familiar with Nash plus Nash is pretty familiar to the hip hop audience. 

I talked about this in the thread from last month. Vlad has earned that reputation. If he's not interviewing folks who are basically dry snitching on themselves or others about possibly illegal things or gossipy type shit, the interviews tend to suck (although he has an odd good one every so often not like those..for example, Fab Morvan). Just like the New Jack one. Again, like I said last month, I think part of that could be New Jack seems to be feeling the after effects of all the crazy shit he has done. He doesn't seem to be as sharp as he normally is. However, it's clear to me he's being super protective and leery of Vlad. That's totally understandable given Vlad's rep.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Morganti said:

I blame Hogan for all future WWE babyfaces not having friends very often, and for getting turned on so often.  Coz Hogan kept screwing all his friends over, starting with getting Lust in his Eyes.

(I know the mega powers asploding wasn't first but still)

nature vs. nurture (and the proportions thereof) is the great unsolvable debate in behavioral psychology.

in WWF/E the comparable debate is how much is it that Vince's philosophy on Heroism being warped vs. how much is it just him cynically reacting to [American] wrestling fans having such a skewed philosophy on Heroism that the most successful "heroes" [Hogan, Austin] were shitbag heels who just happened to aim their heelishness [mostly] at even more contemptible targets?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

So watching that jackknife comp, i realize that most of Kevin Nash's power bombs were basically gut wrench throws rather than power bombs lol

He also had a tendency to throw dudes onto their asses

Edited by zendragon

10 hours ago, The Batboy said:

Re: Kevin Nash; what if this was the Diesel we got?

Wow, never seen the concept art before. '96 Diesel/Outsiders Nash is the reason I became a wrestling fan as a young'un, and the look was a big part of it. So playing that 'what if', I never would have discovered this great sport or you fine folks. 

• Thanks 1