DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling - 7/28/20

Fun show, with Wrestle House being hilarious as expected. Johnny Swinger of course was my favorite part of it all. Eddie/Trey was good and Kimber/Deonna a solid short match. I like the idea of RVD vs Callihan, but also had  me wanting to see RVD vs Shamrock some time. Pretty good closing brawl to end the show. 

Results:

Impact Wrestling - July 28, 2020

*Eddie Edwards(c) def. Trey (15:30) after the Boston Knee Party to retain the Impact Worlds Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Eric Young came out and teased going after Eddie but stopped and said it would be on his time.

*Deonna Purrazzo def. Kimber Lee (5:32) via armbar submission. After the match, Jordynne Grace came out and attacked Deonna.

*Rob Van Dam and Katie Forbes came to the ring. Forbes promised to reveal new pictures from her website for free but when she showed the photos, Sami Callihan had hacked the video and put his face over Katie's and made a mockery of the whole thing. 

*The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) def. Reno Scum (Adam Thornstowe & Luster the Legend) (6:30) after the Magic Killer on Thornstowe. After the match, Ace Austin & Madman Fulton came out and brawled with the Good Brothers to the back and out of the arena.

• Like 3

I think Swinger has had the line of the night for about 3 straight months now. 

I dug the wrestler house stuff. But then I'm a sucker for anything with Taya and Rosemary. 

• Like 3

So being at my sister's house watching the dog I finally got a chance to catch Impact on AXS.  I see the channel itself is a lot like VH1 Classic but with a bit more variety to it.  And for all I know it wouldn't surprise me if that's what it turned into.  But with the changes from Slammiversary plus some shitheads getting the boot it was the right time for me to catch it again.  The only one I still don't like seeing on TV is Callihan but considering all the others that were there I'm okay with that.  And while Katie Forbes didn't do anything wrong I never did care for her even from when she did ROH for a bit.  But I'm cool with everybody else and while I skipped through a tad I did like what I saw.

I do really love Wrestle House.  I did see last week's episode on demand and the lead up to that plus this week means that it's going to be gold.  It reminded me of 80s WWF where you had these over-the-top characters all together for special occasions.  The wackier the better as the interactions were something else.  And much in that style Wrestle House was a weird mashup of goofy characters that helped me quickly get an idea of everybody involved.  I of course know of and love the likes of Rosemary and Kylie.  But even seeing Romero's team or the Deaners I got a good sense of who they are and what they're about.  So between that and the serious angles they're doing I think I'm good to go for the long haul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go the second episode in the playing catch up on Impact+ series.

The first match of the night is Impact World Championship Open Challenge Eddie Edwards defending against Trey Miguel. I thought this was really good, it was given time, Trey looked credible against the champ and Eddie went over decisively with the Boston Knee Party putting his finish over. Great way to open the show. That low springboard cutter off the bottom rope that Trey hit on Eddie holy smokes that was tight. Eric Young of course shows up after Eddie retains, Eddie wants to fight but Eric Young he'd rather play mind games. Thats gonna be a good match, I'm looking forward to that, possibly at BFG.

So Wrestle House is awesome. The reality tv concept is a great device is a good way to keep talent on tv that aren't really in a program right now, plus its an entertaining way to fill up tv time without non in ring content, Tommy Dreamer as the host in the Tony Montana suit, what I really like is that this seems to be part of a bigger angle between Jon E-Rosemary-Taya, you get the vibe Rosemary likes Jon E like wants to bang and Taya is the 3rd wheel blocking Rosemary from getting some. So after losing that "match" to Acey is Crazy Steve eliminated?

Everybody teases Rohit, last week he tried taking Swingers spot as Bey's flunking now he's getting TJP to say he might be interested in going back to the X Division then he runs back to Bey to tell him, you know what he gets what he deserves.

Ace Austin's promo was good, there's always a kernel of truth to a good heel promo as the new guys did come into your ring and cheap shotted you after you extended your hand but you did also smack a beer out of theirs what did you possibly think was gonna happen?

Of course the Motor City Machine Guns video package features them beating up the Young Bucks. Really well done VP great use of older footage. Then we had that promo from The North and holy cow was it good Alexander seemed pissed off, Ethan Page was too mad for words, really well down. Then the Flashback of the night of course was the MCMG winning their first Tag team Championships from Beer Money at Victory Road 2010, ten years ago. Two things from the clip, 1. I listen to 83 Weeks and Eric Bischoff likes to say the Impact Zone was not an engaged audience but they sure seemed engaged to me and 2. The old TNA Tag Belts sure were a good looking belt.

That EC3 VP was tight too. He's pinned Sting, Bully Ray and Kurt Angle and they showed all that footage, Impact isn't afraid to show old TNA footage to establish a returning star or to refamiliarize their audience with someone its cool to see Sinclair could learn from Impacts example on that. What a good promo by EC3 i'm interested in this angle he's a man broken determined to recreate his past or rewrite his past. He's controlling his narrative.

Moose is interviewed he's very full of himself, and he avoids the EC3 question but Heath shows up and gets himself a TNA Championship match next week and Scott D'Amore tells him if he wins he earns an Impact Contract, the running joke of the TNA Championship Committee they got bring somebody in who from TNA's past who was an on screen authority figure at some point to make Moose defend the championship, Maybe have Larry Zybysko show up to announce Moose vs EC3 at BFG after Moose tries to back out of the match or something. 

Kimber Lee vs Deonna Purazzo, they set this up last week when Purazzo shoved Kimber in the pull apart with Kylie Rae. Kimber got a lot in this match, she's pretty good. The knockouts division is like lowkey better than the AEW women's division, more depth in the former not so much the latter. Deonna with that armbar they are putting that over as instant death. Kimber tapped not instantly but pretty quick and she was in control for most the match. Jordyne Grace comes out, arm in sling but it's a sike her arms fine and she lays out Purazzo. Grace is pissed off at losing the championship and probably a little pissed off at hearing Purazzo running her mouth about it.

We return to Wrestle House and Crazy Steve hasn't been eliminated. He's still looking for a room, he's gonna bunk with the Swingman. Poor Swinger. The Deaners are having issues bunking together so it's match time! in the morning. This is funny like real funny not bad wrestler funny. The match was fine it was pretty basic but it wasn't about work rate, it was about getting the room, Alisha's ref the other wrestlers around the ring is fun there's some good one liners that come out of it. Cousin Jake hit Cody with a side walk slam for the win and the room. Alisha doesn't remember what Deaner he is so she announces him as so she awards the match to Deaner. Cody and Jake make up after the match. Wrestle House is fun.

Ken Shamrock gets written off tv by telling Sami backstage he needs to get his head right and is going away for awhile. Weird but whatever.

Throughout the night Katie Forbes has i guess caused problems with Sami Callihan, she confused him for a fan, told Rob Van Dam Sami was creepy on her which wasn't really what happened and then Rob said stay away from my girl. So of course when Katie and RVD went out to the ring to reveal some new sexy picture for her website, Sami had super imposed his face on her body making a mockery if the whole ordeal then Katie throws a temper tantrum in the middle of the ring. This would have been over in front of an audience it's a shame we are int he spot we are in but hey everyone fully committed making this work.

The Rascalz had a club house segment and they got stoned with Suicide whose playing Suicide now? Caleb Conley?

Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne interviewed Rich Swann via satellite, he's been out for 7 months with a knee injury, returned at the Slam in the World Title match and had Eric Young re-injured his knee with a char and it seems bleak this time.

Main Event Time! Good Brothers vs Reno Scum, this got set up the week before with Ace Austin creating a distraction as Reno Scum jumped the Good Brothers in the parking lot. Matthews brought up Anderson and Gallows' run in New Japan their IWGP Tag reigns to be exact, so maybe there's a looming talent exchange thats coming between the two promotions. I don't know stranger things have happened in wrestling but considering the history the companies have i'm not sure. The match was good. The put over match for the Good Brothers, they dominated early, Ace Austin come out sat on a chair on the entrance caused a distraction, Reno Ricky Mortons Anderson in their corner, LG gets the hot tag, cleans house, Magic Killer and the 3. Good Brothers pick up the win. Then after the match Ace Austin stirs up shit, the Mohawk guy from 

Reno Scrum attacks Anderson from behind so he is made quick work off, he’s more of a distraction than anything. Madman Fulton shows up and we get a full on brawl that leads to the back. I love the Larry Sanders Technique of the ringside and backstage area’s are shot differently and look differently. The brawl was fun they ended up outside Fulton gets pushed into the camera and the camera “loses signal” and we go off the air. I’m liking this program the match on the Emergence Supercard is gonna be fun. I was thinking about it, the feedback of MCMG beating the homegrown guys for the straps instantly after coming screams of old TNA policies I think  t would probably apply more to if the Good Brothers beat Ace Austin and Madman Fulton on Emergence. Not that I don’t think Good Brothers shouldn’t be top team in Impact shit they are a great team they should be your cornerstone team but Ace Austin has been constantly delivering as a heel for the last year and a half since he’s debuted and I don’t know if him and Fulton should lose and then it’s on to the next one the program could go on for a while it’s good. Reno Scum can cause a distraction which leads to Austin and Fulton going over which leads to Good Brothers saying they made a call to some friends, GOD show up take care of Reno Scum maybe storyline but em on the shelf, but of course we gotta get a an 8 man tv main event of GB and GOD vs Ace Fulton and Scum, then at BFG you have the rematch Good Brothers vs Ace Austin and Madman Fulton on an even playing field with the Good Brothers picking up the win, then MCMG can face GOD at the show yeah you’re giving away possible draw in a time that you can’t draw but it would pop the PPV butyrate with MCMG go over and GOD leave cuz it only has to be short term. 

That’s the show it was a fun watch.

Conley was playing Suicide the last time he was active in Impact but he's with the NWA now. I'm not sure who is under the hood now. Looking at the roster, I'd guess Trey but I feel like he's too high up the card for that kind of double duty. Plus the couple times you can see the skin it's on the paler side so maybe it's Ace Austin or Wentz? But Wentz seems too tall for that. It's be hilarious/sad if it was the other Crist brother.