DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

I don't have that much of a problem with the verdict as I can live with the 'self defense" argument. All I am asking is that Zimmerman just disappears and is never heard from again.  Unfortunately I have a feeling that just like the MSNBC's of the world used Martin for their own political views that Fox News will have him appear as much as possible. This person is not a hero or a martyr, he is a over sensitive Paul Blart wanna be that has 911 as #1 on his speed dial.  

I need to learn more about the Stand Your Ground law...

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776.htmlBasically Self-Defense laws always existed, but you couldn't use force if it was possible to retreat. With Stand Your Ground laws like this one, the burden of determining whether or not retreat is possible is lifted from the person's shoulders. While this sounds okay in theory, it has a lot of wiggle room for Law Enforcement to pop people, especially if the only other witness is the guy getting popped.

I think the feelings being expressed have been reasonable.  I'll be honest, I'm dissappointed in my "I knew this would happen" response.  It doesn't feel good to be like this, but it what it is.  Others are sad, angry, confused--all fair ways to feel.  I don't think any of us have it in us to fight amongst ourselves over it.  We're just processing things as best as we can.

Okay I'm going to throw a molotov cocktail into the MLB Thread. There are about two people that go in there, and both of them are Cubs fans. So if anything I'm putting them out of their misery.

One person had a gun and is alive, the other was unarmed and dead. You do the fucking math.

Boy, if I ever am calling for someone to be "gutted" based on rationale this simplistic, I hope someone calls me on my insanity.

Zimmerman's brother also pulled the "gun toting drug addicted thug" card as well.

"I want to know if it's true, and I don't know if it's true, that Trayvon Martin was looking to procure firearms, or growing marijuana, or looking to make lean,"

Listen I understand that they want to fight back at all the racism charges against him but attacking the person you killed whether in self defense or not won't work. Just shut up and go away.  

Zimmerman's brother also pulled the "gun toting drug addicted thug" card as well.

"I want to know if it's true, and I don't know if it's true, that Trayvon Martin was looking to procure firearms, or growing marijuana, or looking to make lean,"

...because if he bought a gun someone might get hurt, you know.

• Like 2

Boy, if I ever am calling for someone to be "gutted" based on rationale this simplistic, I hope someone calls me on my insanity.

He did not shoot an unarmed teenager? Is there something in there that says he is not a pussy who lost a fist fight that he instigated? This is the murder version of "look how she was dressed."I hope Zimmerman gets gutted and his brother gets cancer.

He did not shoot an unarmed teenager? Is there something in there that says he is not a pussy who lost a fist fight that he instigated? This is the murder version of "look how she was dressed."I hope Zimmerman gets gutted and his brother gets cancer.

Never change.

Zimmerman's brother also pulled the "gun toting drug addicted thug" card as well. Listen I understand that they want to fight back at all the racism charges against him but attacking the person you killed whether in self defense or not won't work. Just shut up and go away.

Yep. Time for the whole clan to get the fuck off TV, move somewhere else, as change their name and appearance. Even if he is "not guilty", gloating looks goddamn awful. You're a free man, now GO AWAY.

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer",

Look, I think Zimmerman is guilty of at least involuntary manslaughter, but it was up to the prosecution to prove it, and they did a piss-poor job of it.  Hopefully they OJ him and get him in the civil trial.

If I asked a person "Why would Trayvon attack Zimmerman?"  what is their likely answer... 

A - "He felt threatened"

B - "He was being stalked.."

C - "A strange man was following him around who he may or may not have known was carrying a gun.." 

So in the state of Florida, Trayvon is at fault for what, exactly?  This is common fucking sense. Even if Trayvon did shove Zimmerman or whatever the case did he not have a right to defend himself from a stalker with a firearm? How else is a kid supposed to react in that situation?

Awful.

• Like 4

It is the prosecution's fault for going after a 2nd degree murder charge. They were never going to be able to prove without a reasonable doubt that he had the intent to kill, not when there was evidence of a struggle before the gun came into it. Same deal as Casey Anthony, the prosecution tried to go for a charge above what they had evidence to prove.

I don't feel like reading this whole thread, and I don't feel like even risking an argument, but here's what I want to say:

I can see no possible way around the idea that Zimmerman clearly provoked the altercation, and then Zimmerman shot the person he provoked.  If that IS legal, it shouldn't be.  If it's not legal, he should be headed to prison.

*sigh*

• Like 3

What Brian said is sort of on target...my thoughts are that he was probably guilty of Manslaughter.  What the real problem is though, is that the prosecutors didn't pursue a manslaughter case, they went after 2nd Degree murder, which was really difficult to prove given the crap case they presented.  Then in closing arguments they tell the jury that they can consider manslaughter, but then do not adequately tell them why.  Gross imcompetence on the part of the prosecution.