DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling - 7/21/20

Exciting show coming off Slammiversary with a lot going on. Great main event, though I am sad to see the North's record breaking reign come to an end but the MCMG is a solid choice to do it at least. Other matches were mostly short, disappointed that Rhino/Hernandez didn't get to do much. Wrestle House looks like it will be hilarious. Loved Heath acknowledging no longer having a last name. Good stuff going all around and always good setting up stuff for the next episodes.

Results:

Impact Wrestling - July 21, 2020

*Chris Bey(c) def. Willie Mack (5:44) after the Art of Finesse to retain the X Division Championship.

*The Good Brothers (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) came to the ring for a promo. They talk about arriving Impact, being the talk of the wrestling world, and put themselves over as the best in the world. Ace Austin & Madman Fulton interrupted. Ace said he understood they wanted to come after the top guys but wanted an apology from them. They end up in a brawl with the Good Brothers sending them from the ring.

*Nevaeh & Havok def. Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz via DQ.. (6:05) when Tasha used a steel chair on Havok. 

*Rhino def. Hernandez (0:26) with the Gore.

*New World Champ Eddie Edwards came out for a promo about winning the title. Eddie wants to be a champion everyone can be proud of. Eddie announced he would be a fighting champion and defend the title every week. Eric Young interrupted. Eddie talked about what Young did to Rich Swann and said he'd be happy to kick his ass. Young said Eddie should be thanking him that he took out Rich and not him. Eddie dove out onto Young until refs broke it up.

*Moose def. Fallah Bahh (w/ TJP) (3:41) after the Spear to retain his TNA title. After the match, EC3 appeared and dropped Moose with a reverse DDT.

*The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) def. The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander)(c) (17:04) when Sabin pinned Page with a small package to WIN the Impact Worlds Tag Team Championships.

• Like 2

Since I still can't stand wrestling with no crowd at all and love all the TNA goofiness Wrestle House is right up my alley. 

Suzie: "Hi, I'm Suzie!"

Swinger: "And I'm Ricky Martel!"

Fallah looks strange with boots, and Eric looks stranger without a beard now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So they are going to do their own version of Big Brother with this Wrestle House?

Sure why not

It Kills time and Swinger will steal some segments of it. 

North vs. MCMG was MOTN and as Dream said sad to see the North's reign end. Great post PPV episode with adding new members of the roster and laying out what challengers will come after all the New Champs. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Brian Myers tease as well, good for him. I’ve become big fans of him and Cardona since they got released and started listening to their podcast.

I'm surprised he didn't come in the first time around, he's much more of a workrate guy than Ryder , I expected him to have a better indy run than he did.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I'm surprised he didn't come in the first time around, he's much more of a workrate guy than Ryder , I expected him to have a better indy run than he did.

He was apart of the brief "Global Force invasion" in 2015, won the Impact tag titles with Trevor Lee for a day and worked Bound for Glory that year. 

On 7/22/2020 at 3:16 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Since I still can't stand wrestling with no crowd at all and love all the TNA goofiness Wrestle House is right up my alley. 

Suzie: "Hi, I'm Suzie!"

Swinger: "And I'm Ricky Martel!"

Fallah looks strange with boots, and Eric looks stranger without a beard now. 

I thought EY was channeling his inner “Mallrats-era Michael Rooker”, waiting on Brodie Lee showing up to offer him a chocolate covered pretzel.

Wrestle House is going to be great.

Impact has quietly assembled a hell of a roster.

• Like 1

So...Eddie Edwards says he'll defend the title every week, and then doesn't?

Also The North immediately dropping the Tag Titles is bad booking. This company, no matter who is in charge, immediately jobs out the guys that bust their asses for the newest signee. It's bullshit.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm behind on IMPACT! but I payed for a year of Impact+ so why not put it to use.

That EC3 promo to start off the show is great. Conspiracy theory, holed up in a bunker telling us we have all been lied to by the Government I can get behind that. He's gone from spoiled rich kid to disenfranchised rich kid. Very intriguing stuff. Grass is't always greener on the other side and now EC3 is back and its all a lie man and he's here to open our eyes and expand our minds.

The X Division rematch, Chris Bey beat Willie Match at Slam for the belt and now Willie is exercising his rematch clause on the very next show. First point of order a little disappointed that Callis seems to be PPV only as we are back to Matthews and Rayne who were a little annoying during this match, it's a little to schticky for me. The actual match was a lot of fun, I may have enjoyed it more than the PPV match possibly cuz it's been about a month since i've seen the PPV match and have just watched the rematch. This was hard hitting tons of striking they did the high flying stuff but it felt like a fight, Willie wrestled like a man who wasn't happy with losing his championship. Bey carried himself like a champ, I wish they didn't stop the Bey-Swinger angle so abruptly, The Swingman getting an X-Division title shot could have been a smaller scale Miz-Lawler in a way, Full Metal Mayhem is Impacts version of TLC so yeah I think if built properly Bey vs Swinger in a Full Metal Mayhem could have been money but now we will never know. Punching. a man in the face as he sores mid air will also get a pop out of me. I dug Bey's Springboard Cutter he sealed the deal with, it's a cool looking move.

That Good Brothers promo was really good, they seem rejuvenated, the reigns are off and they seem serious not super serious they still were The Good Brothers but you could tell they are ready to kick ass and take names they bring a lot to the tag division in Impact them and Motor City could and should tear it up. Ace Austin and Madman Fulton are a good first feud Austins promo was good. The match up is pretty even, Fulton and Gallows or Big LG as he is now called are pretty big dudes and there isn't any pretty big dudes really in Impact so when they tussle thats gonna be fun. I'm hoping we get MCMG vs Good Brothers at Bound for Glory.

Heath can't get in the building, no matter where he goes he can't get any respect. "Do you have a last name?" "I did but I can't use it anymore." I had forgotten that Rhino and Hernandez's arm wrestling match had a questionable conclusion so Rhino doesn't hear heath call as him and Hernandez challenged each other to a winner takes all match for the arm wrestling wager. Continuity I can get behind this.

The women's tag match, Keira Hogan and Tasha Steelz vs Havok and Nevaeh was pretty good. I was impressed that with a the height and size deferential between both teams Keira and Tasha were able to hold their own against Havok and Nevaeh to hold their own, the smaller team were the heels and it was an interesting dynamic that  worked. The DQ finish would normally bug me but this seems to be building towards something Josh Mathews brought up how both teams don't like each other so it ends with a steel chair and a tombstone, signally the first match of a series. Also in commentary the brought up that theres been discussions of reviving the Knockouts Tag Team Championship makes me think that when that eventually happens this match is gonna be the finals and go like 20 minutes.

The Flashback of the night is Lashley vs Eddie Edwards 10/6/16, the night Eddie won his first TNA/Impact World Championship. Pretty convenient flashback of the night as Eddie just won his 2nd World Championship at the slam. How much things have changed in 4 years; six sided ring, still in Orlando, Pope on commentary, Sweatband biker shorts Lashley, Eddie Edwards in gear.

Sami dresses Ken down backstage for not delivering at The Slam, Ken takes responsibility for what happened and walks off.

Rob Van Dam and Katie Forbes are back! Katie Forbes says shes tired of wearing clothes, I follow her on twitter and it's true she doesn't wear much clothes.

Rhino vs Hernandez was short and sweet Rhino hit a gore out the jump got the 3 and won the money. Moving on.

North cut a promo, they are the longest reigning Impact/TNA Tag Team Champions and they wont some damn respect.

That video package where everyone talked about winning at the PPV and The North and MCMG cut promos on each other was cool.

Deonna Purazzo putting Kylie Rea in the arm bar thats gonna be a fun match when they run it i'm thinking at BFG, Purazzo i think is gonna bring out the mean in Kylie and she's gonna regret it.

I liked Eddies promo about bringing stability to back to the Impact Championship, he's been around since 2014 he's done everything you could do in Impact he's been a rock in a promotion of instability and I'm happy he's champion again and issues a weekly open challenge, everybody's doing open challenges nowadays. Eric Young comes out him and Eddie have words over Rich Swann this ends with Eddie doing a suicide dive onto Young. This could be a really good long term feud

TNA Champion Moose cut a promo saying his challenges won't be open but invite only and Fallah Bahh has been invited.

Eddies first open challenger is gonna be Trey Miguel next week and that should be fun.

The TNA Championship match was fine under 4 minutes, Moose's whole thing it seems to be that he gives opponents he thinks of as lesser championship opportunities cuz he's not worried about losing the strap to them, Bahh put up a fight and got some offense in early but Moose picked up the win after a spear. He said earlier EC3 was too busy controlling his narrative and then after Mooses match EC3 shows up  and took Moose out with a neckbreaker so he wasn't too busy after all.

So with Tama Tonga recently saying he hopes there is a New Japan-Impact talent relationship and then Reno Scum attacking the GB's in the Parking lot I wonder if GOD show up to even the odds for the GB's against the likes of Ace Austin, Fulton and Reno Scum.

That little taste of Wrestle House has me excited for the upcoming weeks.

Main Event Time! The North vs MCMG! I really liked this match. I can understand the criticism of 'typical TNA, give the new guys the belts at the expense of their talent", but in this case i don't think that apply's in this case, the MCMG are TNA Originals they are pioneers in the tag scene and were oft over looked, it's cool to see them back in Impact and back as a team. The North have had a great year, both Page and Alexander delivered consistently as tag champs over the last year but all good things must come to an end and i'm all for MCMG as tag champs. It's not like The Guns didn't work their asses off in this match but teams busted their asses in this match. I like the school boy roll up, You can lose a match in a blink of an eye. 

And Heath got in!

The MCMGs were a tag team in TNA for like three years before winning their first tag team titles. And saying it's too soon to take the belts off a team that have already held them for a full year and are the longest reigning champ in history... I mean, if they'd jobbed to an ex-WWE team that would be one thing. But Sabin's never been in WWE and Shelley did like 3 matches for them earlier this year (without a contract), and that's it. The MCMGs are most strongly associated with TNA Impact.

So is Ethan Page's contract up soon? Because he's suddenly in really good shape and working a lot harder. Either that or he's lurking and it hurt his feelings when I was talking about how Josh Alexander does everything and he's just sort of also there. Sorry Ethan-played-by-Julian!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

The MCMGs were a tag team in TNA for like three years before winning their first tag team titles. And saying it's too soon to take the belts off a team that have already held them for a full year and are the longest reigning champ in history... I mean, if they'd jobbed to an ex-WWE team that would be one thing. But Sabin's never been in WWE and Shelley did like 3 matches for them earlier this year (without a contract), and that's it. The MCMGs are most strongly associated with TNA Impact.

So is Ethan Page's contract up soon? Because he's suddenly in really good shape and working a lot harder. Either that or he's lurking and it hurt his feelings when I was talking about how Josh Alexander does everything and he's just sort of also there. Sorry Ethan-played-by-Julian!

Pretty sure I read his contract was up in January. He must be working out hard cause he’s def getting in shape, props to him.

• Thanks 1