DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Rockets 3-0. Down 19 and they come back. Yeah, its the Jazz, but its still a win.

From the Jazz side, its a win-win-win.  Keeping it close with a better team? Check. Taking a brief lead in the Riggin for Wiggins? Check. And choking away a lead so it will lead to Corbin getting fired so they can get a good coach next year with another stud draft pick? Check and Check.

MCW is playing like a mad man. Spencer Hawes is draining clutch shots. Turner is performing great. This is glorious. 

See what happens when you hire a legitimate basketball coach from a franchise with a winning tradition. Doug Collins was like the epitome of the "coaching fraternity" guy who keeps getting jobs for decades despite the fact that he's a completely horrendous fucking joke as a coach who jerks his players around and demoralizes young guys instead of developing them.

Doug Collins was the absolute worst. I loved his dismissive nature of the high-end stats stuff permeating its way into basketball and how he went by his gut. Uhm, doofus, your gut has gotten you to exactly zero finals and you coached Jordan and Pippen. All of those mid-range jumpers that clanged off the rim last year are pretty clearly reflected in the stats you frowned upon. It's really crazy seeing what passing the ball, spacing, not shooting mid-range/long-2s do for a team.I'm starting to think Evan Turner may have been a victim of just a really crappy coach. I've hated him for a while now. This was largely not his fault because I just hated every dimwit on sports radio here who wanted to jettison Iguodala out of town so Turner could get his minutes. I'm pretty sure everyone connected with the Dream Team (who all pretty much rave about Iggy) knows infinitely more about basketball than everyone who has ever called into or hosted a show in WIP. Then Turner became exactly what I thought/feared -- a total black hole without a quality jumper who would just take the worst possible shots.Well, now he has a coach emphasizing that he drive and if he doesn't have anything to pass the ball. It's working.MCW is so impressive. I mean, his shot can stop falling at any second -- he shot for crap in college. But he knows how to pass really well. I thought his defense was going to be atrocious since Syracuse plays only a 2-3 zone and that's a criticism a lot of Orangemen grads face when they jump to the league. He killed it in steals in college but I thought that wasn't going to translate. But his defense is absolutely great for a rookie in his first three games. He knows how to use his length and get his hands on the ball and force bad decisions. That pass he made to Hawes for the game winner was amazing. But I thought the play he made before on Derrick Rose where he trapped him in the sideline and forced him to pass the ball about 14 rows deep was great, too. I know D-Rose is playing like garbage but that was MCW forcing a bad decision.

Well they were bound to win some games when Turner and Hawes would get hot at the same time. Happened last year as well. Question now is can Turner avoid the typical 3 game slump followup? At least I know now to avoid 76ers related groups this year. The reaction to them winning has been incredibly irritating. 

Kevin Martin is amazing. Is this what it's like to have a SG that can actually shoot? It's been so damn long for this team. God, I hope we get Bud back soon to have some scoring punch with the second unit. Shved hasn't looked too hot so far and ADelman is going with Rubio/JJ backcourt more often than not. Brewer's defense on Melo was pretty damn great as well and Kevin Love is just an absolute BEAST.

This season is going to be so much fun.

78-66 Clippers at the half. Defense optional, folks!

Hated seeing the Wolves come out flat against the Cavs, but at least they fought back to within one in the final seconds. Lots of baaaaaaad shots and the second unit being terrible defensively put the team in a hole they couldn't crawl out of at the end.

Pretty obvious that there is no such thing as perimeter defense on the Rockets, outside of Garcia.  Everytime I've watched them this year, either Dwight, Asik, or both have been in foul trouble.  I've been saying all along that this isn't a championship team, and thusfar they have proven it to me.  What happens when they have to guard a Lebron, Wade, George or Westbrook?

Pretty obvious that there is no such thing as perimeter defense on the Rockets, outside of Garcia. Everytime I've watched them this year, either Dwight, Asik, or both have been in foul trouble. I've been saying all along that this isn't a championship team, and thusfar they have proven it to me. What happens when they have to guard a Lebron, Wade, George or Westbrook?

Patrick Beverley guards them?

Pretty obvious that there is no such thing as perimeter defense on the Rockets, outside of Garcia.  Everytime I've watched them this year, either Dwight, Asik, or both have been in foul trouble.  I've been saying all along that this isn't a championship team, and thusfar they have proven it to me.  What happens when they have to guard a Lebron, Wade, George or Westbrook?

NBA has a ton of stats available, I'd love a breakdown of how many fouls Dwight/Asik have against guards vs big men.  That might be a decent measure of a team's perimeter defense.  What percentage of fouls are big men who are fucked because their wings can't guard anyone.

Ring-ding-ding-da-ding-dinga-dingdingding!!!! Thank you Mavs! Lakers gotta pick up the pace and lose a lot more before Kobe recovers. Last year they had a rough start as well and made the playoffs, but I think they'll be bad enough to miss out this year. Gotta get within that 10 range to either get a good young player at that spot or even climb into the top 3 in the lottery.

Is this gonna be Nash's last year? He's looked pretty awful this season.

• Like 1

Honestly, if the Lakers had some actual interior defense, they would be a competent team.  Their offense isn't the worst ever.  They cut a 30 point lead down to 13 at one point before it blew back up, but they had zero answers for Ellis driving the lane, or when he would dish down to Blair/Dalembert.   They gave up 123 points on a night where Dirk only had 11 of them.  That says alot for how well Ellis takes the pressure of him, but says more about how bad the Laker D is.