DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Am only following the game via score updates, but I'm loving Jordan Hill's numbers.  He kinda got lost in the shuffle with his injury last season, but he's a guy who could be a bright spot.  He's one of those guys who sucked elsewhere, shines as a Laker, gets his money contract, then sucks elsewhere.

And why are you so hung up on the draft?  Haven't the Lakers traded away every draft pick until about 2019?  And even so, the last megastar the Lakers outright drafted was James Worthy.  Lakers build their team the American way:  they buy them from teams that can't afford them.

The Stepien rule means that the Lakers traded away their 2015 and 2017 first-round picks but have been forced to keep their 2014 and 2016 picks (more or less...there is some protection on the picks).

Am only following the game via score updates, but I'm loving Jordan Hill's numbers.  He kinda got lost in the shuffle with his injury last season, but he's a guy who could be a bright spot.  He's one of those guys who sucked elsewhere, shines as a Laker, gets his money contract, then sucks elsewhere.

And why are you so hung up on the draft?  Haven't the Lakers traded away every draft pick until about 2019?  And even so, the last megastar the Lakers outright drafted was James Worthy.  Lakers build their team the American way:  they buy them from teams that can't afford them.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE A DRAFT PICK IN 2014. That's why I'm hung up on the draft. This is the one year they have a draft pick. It isn't just about getting a top 3 pick which would be great, but this draft is loaded and while I'm not hung up on getting a young promising player high in the draft, its fun to at least see younger players they could draft, which they've done in the past when building up their past teams.

Wiggins, Parker, Randle all lived up to the hype.

Gary Harris and Seldon looked really good as well.

Embid...took a 3-point shot that reminded me why we grew to hate Andrew Bynum, thus he probably ends up being the guy they end up with.

I hang my head in shame. I forgot which year the Lakers actually had a draft pick.  But I think we both know LA either ends up barely making the playoffs or getting the least number of ping pong balls.  Unless Kobe sits out completely.

And GD, that dunk makes me wish Shannon Brown had hit his oh so many seasons ago...

They didn't call anything on the dunk. The rules on charging/blocking and such have always confused me. He was partially inside the circle, but I'm not sure he was moving. Do they just ignore it in this case as well as the arm to the head?

As a sidenote, I hate that no charge half circle thing.

Why? It seems like a decent way to keep players from getting their legs cut out from under them at the rim.

The really good charge-taking guys like Battier work around it just fine.

They rarely call the hand-to-face dunk a foul. Blake Griffin and several others have so many dunks that way that are always highlights that it seems to be something that's become accepted in the NBA.

Heh, one thing at a time, I guess.  At least they are calling travelling this year.

As a sidenote, I hate that no charge half circle thing.

Why? It seems like a decent way to keep players from getting their legs cut out from under them at the rim.The really good charge-taking guys like Battier work around it just fine.
I think having one (well, two) tiny little spot on the floor where the rules suddenly change and eliminates a defensive technique is absurd. Hatred it since the first day I saw it.

Well, Thunder are 2 for 2 in on-court shovefests this week so I'm curious who starts shit with Golden State tomorrow.  The Ibaka-Barnes non-brawl proved costly for OKC since Ibaka was a perfect 6-6 while Barnes apparently thought he was back on the Lakers and his ejection probably was a bonus for the Clippers.

I live in Philadelphia. I love basketball. However, I have not cared about the Sixers one bit since Allen Iverson was in town. And that was before his diva act got stale, too.There is no way in hell I would have ever thought I would be so into this year's Sixers. They're so ridiculously entertaining and fun to watch. Brett Brown is an awesome coach.

There's now way this lasts. That's why I like it so much. The other shoe HAS to drop at some point and these guys go on a 12-game losing streak. But it hasn't yet. Each game feels like it matters. That's the opposite of how the NBA usually feels like this early in the season. And, on top of it, so many of the games have been absolute thrillers like last night.