DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I think there were 4-5 teams that came into the season intentionally tanking and 2 of them, Phoenix and Philadelphia, got off to decent starts. Orlando went with younger players. Boston's probably the other team that was going with the idea of tanking.  They made moves with the intention of not being good and I think their fans knew that and accepted it.

Utah kinda went in with one foot into tanking when they made that deal with the Warriors and another foot thinking they would be able to replace Millsap & Jefferson with Kanter & Favors. Also, they thought Trey Burke would be able to fill that point guard spot, but I believe he's been injured.

Definitely don't think Brooklyn or New York expected to be this bad. They gave up their picks. This could be a LOOOOONG season for those teams if they don't improve.

All of Cleveland's signings were done so they could make the playoffs. Let's not forget that little kid told us so at the lottery. :) Hiring Mike Brown was a bad move. Signed a lot of role players who had good seasons last year like Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark.  Took a gamble on Bynum. Drafted the guy Mike Brown wanted, which looks like an awful decision right now.  Have I mentioned how bad a coach Mike Brown is?

Not surprised to see Lance Armstrong (get it?) and the worst troll on DVDVR still talking about Rose.  His future is a conversation worth having, but I can't think of a worse place to have it.

As for the team, the gameplan for the Bull's is kind of the same regardless of whether he had played this year or not. Deng will leave. Boozer will get amnestied. They still have to find another all-star level scorer, unless Mirotic is the real deal, in which case he's still coming over in the next year or two. Rose could have played MVP level ball again this year and that would still be the future of the team. So really there's not a whole lot of change in Chicago with the exception that we are officially out of the race this year.

If anything, Rose's injury just speeds everything up.  I fully expect Deng to be gone by the All Star break now.

The next few months should also dispel the myth of Marcus Teague: NBA player.  It's amazing how long he has been taking up a roster spot considering the D League is a thing that actually exists.  Fuck it, play the kid 30 minutes a night.  BRING JABARI HOME!!! 

I was thinking more like Brad Daugherty.

So Dalembert was benched tonight because he overslept and missed shootaround.  WTF.

I am confused as to why you think that is remarkable.

I was hoping we could change him :/  You don't know him like I do.

I know the team isn't blaming Brown, but who's seriously hiring Brown after his stint with the Cavs are over?

Of course the team isn't blaming him, they were dumb enough to hire him a 2nd time. Their GM and owner have a lot of blame in this.

Someone else will give him a shot. We've seen this happen often in the NBA. Sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. Brown gets a lot of brownie points with people for being a Pop disciple and being a defensive-minded coach.  He's a horrible choice for a team built around an all-star point guard.

So in conclusion, if you are going to hire a Mike as an NBA head coach, you probably should go with Mike Fratello as your first choice. D'Antoni should be far ahead of Brown too.  Maybe pretend to talk to Mike Krzyswewskizki out of Duke just to cover your Mike coaching hire bases.

He just looks a little more physically animated there than usual where he's just yelling his ass off. And his voice is for real. You can hear what he's saying in the nosebleed section of the UC.

I think my favorite thing he does is disgustedly say "godDAMN" whenever someone like Boozer fucks up, or they shit the bed after a time out. He's one of my favorite coaches ever, and I never want him to leave.

• Like 3

I think my favorite thing he does is disgustedly say "godDAMN" whenever someone like Boozer fucks up, or they shit the bed after a time out. He's one of my favorite coaches ever, and I never want him to leave.

What if the Bulls find themselves with an aging but dangerous team that has a real shot at a title so long as the players' minutes are carefully managed?

What if the Bulls find themselves with an aging but dangerous team that has a real shot at a title so long as the players' minutes are carefully managed?

I think he would scale it back in that scenario. He was actually scaling it back this year, though pulling back for Thibs probably still sounds excessive to others. Also keep in mind that this wasn't a HUGE problem back in the Bench Mob days. It got worse when those guys got contracts and our depth suffered.

Check the minutes this year.

Kobe just took what is his fair market value. It's unfair that star players have to take below market value contracts in order to win. LeBron had to take a less than max contract in order to win, if there was no salary cap he would probably be the first $40million/year player.  If fans want to get angry at someone for not their team not winning, blame the owners who instituted the salary cap in order to make maximum profits. Kings just sold for $534 million dollars and yet the owners were crying that they were unprofitable.

Also players should have hired better union leadership, there's a reason MLB doesn't have a salary cap and it isn't by choice of the owners. 

• Like 1

I could write paragraphs on why the MLB actually needs a salary cap, but that's for another day.  It's not about the rights and wrongs of the CBA, I agree that the way it's set up is bullshit, but it is what it is.  At this point, it's up to the owners to work within the dollars amounts that are placed, and to a degree, it's up to the players to do what's best for the team.  Lebron, Duncan, KG, and next year Dirk all took smaller cuts because they want to win a championship.  Kobe has a responsibility to his team, especially in his "golden years".   That 24 million next year should be thrown around to make this team an actual contender, not on a guy who's presence has done more to harm the team in the last 3 years than help it.

Yeah if Kobe truly cared about winning at all costs he would have asked for $15 million a year or less, my point is that is unfair to blame the player for not taking less than what they are worth. If a player wants to take below market value in exchange for a better chance of winning that's fine and the player should be applauded for his selflessness, however when a player doesn't do that he shouldn't be vilified for it. It shouldn't be expected and demanded that every star player take a paycut in order to have a better chance of winning, in the end that money saved just goes to the owners.