DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Slammiversary 2020 - 7/18/20

Taking place tomorrow night

Impact Wrestling Slammiversary 2020

VACANT IMPACT WORLDS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP FOUR WAY MATCH
Ace Austin vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Trey vs. ???

IMPACT WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander)(c) vs. Ken Shamrock & Sami Callihan

IMPACT KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHP MATCH
Jordynne Grace(c) vs. Deonna Purrazzo

IMPACT X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Willie Mack(c) vs. Chris Bey

KNOCKOUTS #1 CONTENDERSHIP GAUNTLET MATCH
Taya Valkyrie vs. Rosemary vs. Kylie Rae vs. Susie vs. Nevaeh vs. Havok vs. Kiera Hogan vs. Tasha Steelz vs. Alisha Edwards vs. Kimber Lee vs. Madison Rayne

OLD SCHOOL RULES HARDCORE MATCH
Moose vs. Tommy Dreamer

The Rascalz (Dez & Wentz) Tag Team Open Challenge

At least one former Impact World Champion returns and will not be alone.

1 mystery person but they are not going to be alone! Which has led to the speculation of Bully Ray showing up in the main with Anderson and Gallows as a new incarnation of The Aces & 8’s.

4 hours ago, Ace said:

So will 2 mystery people join the main event to replace Blanchard and Elgin?

That's a yes now.

Swann back, EY back, Good Brothers save Eddie, EC3 back.  Aside from some standard loltna stuff, it was a pretty good show, actually.  

I found Heath getting kicked out by D'Amore because he's still a "free agent" pretty good.

It was a decent show but between the audio problems and the live stream cutting out a couple times, Impact really dropped the ball. They had more buzz around this than any other PPV, they could have made a statement that they're not just a low rent second tier promotion by putting on a show with slick production values and top tier action. Instead they came across as if their production team is a group of high school stufents. 

Fun show with some excitement to it. Good opener and surprise with the MCMG back. Knockouts gauntlet went by quick. didn't expect Mack to lose. good tag title match, the North keep rolling in their great reign. Love that Deonna won the title, awesome win for her. I kept expecting something with Aces & Eights too. Main event was a little underwhelming surprise wise as was Trey going out first rather quickly after the big showdown with him and Ace last week, but glad to see Eddie get the win in a pretty good  match.  Solid overall show 

Full results:

*The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) def. The Rascalz (Dez & Wentz) (14:53) when Sabin pinned Dez after the ASCS Rush 

*Moose def. Tommy Dreamer (11:14) with the Spear after ramming him into thumbtacks to retain his TNA title.

Kylie Rae won the Knockouts #1 Contenders Gauntlet Match (19:29) last pinning Taya Valkyrie
-Tasha Steelz & Kylie Rae started
-Kylie & Tasha eliminated John E Bravo, who came out dressed as Taya in her spot at #3
-Kimber Lee entered #4, Kiera Hogan #5, Susie #6
-Kylie eliminated Tasha via superkicking her off the top
Katie Forbes #7, Madison Rayne #8, Havok #9, Taya Valkyrie #10, Alisha Edwards #11, Nevaeh #12 Rosemary #13
-Taya eliminated Susie
-Bravo returned dressed as Rosemary and eliminated Havok
-Kylie eliminated Bravo again
-Kylie eliminated Madison
-Kimber eliminated Nevaeh & Alisha
-Rosemary eliminated Kiera
-Kylie eliminated Kimber
-Taya eliminated Rosemary
-Kylie pinned Taya after a Canadian Destroyer and a superkick

*Heath Slater came out from the crowd as a free agent and wanted the spot in the main event. Rohit Raju interrupted and said he won't get an opportunity before him. They brawled with Heath knocking Rohit from the ring.

*Chris Bey def. Willie Mack (10:02) after a springboard cutter to WIN the X Division Championship

*The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander)(c) def. Ken Shamrock & Sami Callihan (16:00) after the Northern Assault on Shamrock to retain the tag team championships. After the match, the North cut a promo about being the greatest team in Impact history. The Motor City Machine Guns interrupt and announce they have a title match this Tuesday on Impact so they'll find out who is truly the greatest.

*Deonna Purrazzo def. Jordynne Grace(c) (14:33) via double armbar submission to WIN the knockouts championship

-Impact returns to PPV with Bound for Glory on Saturday, October 24. 

Eddie Edwards def. Trey, Eric Young, Rich Swann, & Ace Austin (25:11) to win the vacant Impact Worlds Heavyweight Championship.
-Young eliminated Trey after the Piledriver
-Swann eliminated Young with a victory roll. Young then attacked Swann's leg with a steel chair
-Ace eliminated Swann after the Fold
-Eddie eliminated Ace after the Die Hard Flowsion
*After the match, Ace & Madman Fulton attacked Eddie until Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows made the save and celebrated with Eddie.

*An EC3 vignette aired to end the show.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

Show was good not great. Best match to me was probably the main event. Several somewhat unexpected results to me.

Loved Ethan Page using the absence of a audience to shit talk. Would have liked Callihan and him bantering more.

Sloppy production hurt the show at times and my stream died right before 

Spoiler

Heath debuted. Also shocked Deonna and Eddie won.

• Like 2

Knockout title was good, X-Division title was good, Rascalz vs MCMG was good. Tag titles was good but a little sloppy. The rest falls into the "decent" category for me. 

• Like 1

I ordered this, first TNA/Impact PPV I’ve bought since Victory Road 07. It’s my birthday I’m 31 so here’s my birthday gift ...

The opening video package was awesome. 

Well the show starts off awesome with the Motor City Machine Guns answering the Rascalz open challenge. Very interesting that the fathers of the Rascalz style are the ones who answer the challenge. Sabin looks older but I don’t think Shelly has aged over the last 16 years. What the hell was that DDT Shelly you guys had it! It was a fun match it was really cool to see MCMG back like they never left and the Rascalz they put up a valiantl effort. Great opener.

Technical Problems! Glad to see somethings stayed the same after the name change. John E Bravo is in a rock and a hard place. I think he chooses Rosemary but we shall see later tonight.

I’m really digging this Uncrowned Champion angle and I’m really loving elder statesmen Tommy Dreamer wanting to teach Moose a thing in respect. I dug the Moose Sucks Eggs shirt big ups to Terry. Moose got his epic entrance. The white leather on the belt looks sick as fuck. Tommy Dreamer is my favorite wrestler ever I know he’s not the most popular wrestler here but he’s my favorite. This was what up expect from Tommy, he gets beat up but that fits Mooses dickhead heel persona. The drop kick to the trash can while it was over Dreamers head was gnarly. I also dug Dreamer catching the moonsault into the cutter too, should have been 3 tho. Heavy on the violence light on the wrestling but I think that helped this match. I liked the trash talking from Moose, got a chuckle out of a Tommy Dreamer ball shot and of course Tommy’s the one that goes into the thumbtacks also appreciate the TNA title match would involve thumbtacks. Disappointed Moose won. Tommy would have made one hell of a TNA Champion.

The Swingman Cometh

We get a Gauntlet for the Gold.. this show has been a subtle love letter to TNA all we need now is an overbooked main event. John E Bravo entering as Taya was funny. You need a comedy spot in a Rumble styled match. What was the time intervals in this One that felt faster than a minute maybe it wasn’t. No countdown clock was disappointing. Tasha going out so early was disappointing too. Nice to see Katie Forbes back. Gotta have surprises. This one was a lot of fun. Kylie sticking up for her BFF Susie to I’ll effect was great now that’s a comedy spot done right. Did Alisha wrestle in street clothes to match her husband? The Knockouts Tag Titles got brought up during this match so maybe EY and ODB are going show up as the champs after 8 years of inactivity. Bravo comes out dressed as Rosemary too and got an elimination to boot, poor Havok. Taya inadvertently eliminating Rosemary makes way too much sense for it not to happen they are frenemies after all. I do wish the match between Taya and Kylie went on longer but I’m happy Kylie won I do think that almost telegraphs Purazzo winning the title tonight.

Heath Miller is here so that’s cool, the mic isn’t working of course but Heath makes an open challenge and Rohit Raju answers it that or Heath answered the Rascals challenge an hour to late and Rohit just has to call him stupid. This wasn’t a match but Heath Miller stands tall. 

West Coast represent in the X Division Championship Match. Two Future Stars alum right here. I’ve seen both these guys on CWFH cool to see them here. I dug that Exploder Willie hit on Bey into the turnbuckle that was nasty. Match up as the bad there was cool movez but idk I think I was expecting more it was pretty short at ten minutes they could have used 5 more minutes also no Swinger Involvement one way or the other was disappointing. I guess Bey proved he could do it without Swinger so there’s that.

Heath Miller still not getting any respect is funny. Heath gets the rugged pulled out from under him yet again.

Yes Ken Shamrock was in really good shape for being 60 but he’s looking old dude. I really think this is way too short of time from when Sami threw the fireball into Kens face to them teaming up for the tag straps yes they had a match at Revelluon but 5 months from fireball to partnership. The match was ok, idk I think this one went on too long I’d have gave the X Division match six of this match minutes and had this one the ten minute match and that one the 16 minute match. What I did like was Ethan Pages post match promo Alexander was ok, The North did have the longest Tag Title run in promotion history. MCMG coming out was Awesome I’ll be watching Tuesday. I think Shelly and Sabin are gonna walkout as Tag Champs or at least that’s what I hope happens. 

Rich Swann shows up to remind us hes still employed he’s still in crutches but he lets it be known he’s eyeing the World Title

The Knockouts Title Match was really good. I think Deanna has a bright future ahead of her and she’s way better off not in the WWE, she got lost in the shuffle on NXT but she shines bright in Impact. This one was personal, it made for a hard hitting contest. That Suicide Dive was the move of the night. This was really good. Purazzo fought hard for that win and she put a tough women down with a submission.

Now we got the Main Event. Swann Swerved us all. He’s medically cleared to wrestle. I must say I was underwhelmed by the reveal and then Eric Young showed up and as much as I want him and ODB to be returning Knockout Tag Champs but it’s cool to see him back. Instead of an elimination match their was five guys we should have had a King of the Mountain match at Slammiversary. No love loss from Ace and Trey they wrestled a little mini match in this. Crazy Old Man Eric YounG showed up bleeding like a lunatic. Match suffered a little from the WWE multi match trope of two people wrestling everyone else waiting on the outside. Dug the table match. Everyone fought hard in this like the Impact Championship was the most important championship in pro wrestling which I think added to a level of intensity in this. I just wanna say Kudos to Ace Austin he debuted a year ago and now he’s wrestling for the world title and didn’t seem out of place what so ever and he’s only 22 so he’s gonna he in many more main events to come, he made it all the way to the final two with Eddie Edwards. Ace and Eddie got history themselves so the last little stretch their was a ton of fun looked a little snug. Good for idea if there’s anyone who deserves a run as Impact World Champion it’s Eddie. Being the Impact Tommy Dreamer it makes sense he Would get beat up by Madman Fulton after winning the World Title. I like The Good Brothers teaming with Eddie that could make a fun pairing. EC3 is back and that should be fun.

All in all a good show if it didn’t have the technical hiccups would have been better but I welcome the return of Don Callis in the booth

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

So in the past month Impact has dropped Tessa, Elgin, Ryan and Crist and added the Good Brothers, Eric Young, Heath Slater, EC3 and the Motor City Machine Guns. Definite improvement

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Someone please tell EY to grow his beard out again

And unless he is trying to look older than he really is then he probably could use some hair.  

I guess I am confused by the technical difficulties because I thought this was a taped show.  Maybe that makes it even worse because there are spots in the show where the commentary isn't even close to the actual action.

Oh and I am sure that they thought this would be great for buzz, going out of your way to tell people that Moose has been training all week for his standing moonsault is just a douche bag move.  

Purrazzo/Grace was a really good match, I'm happy Deonna is finally get the spotlight she deserves. I'm about to start the Knockouts Gauntlet match, pretty excited about that even though I know who wins already.

• Like 2

I checked out Deonna/Jordynn last night and really enjoyed it.  Classic technical vs. power story, executed really well.  And it had a straight finish!  Something a lot of the good women’s work in WWE has been lacking lately.

I’m still kind of in awe that WWE put Heath on TV and gave him a strong rub before letting him go off to Impact.  I guess they didn’t really expect him to deliver as strongly as he did.

• Like 2

I tuned in for the Knockouts and they didn't disappoint. I thought Purazzo/Grace was great and I'm happy Deonna is getting a chance to shine. The gauntlet match was rougher but Kylie Rae is great pick for a challenger (even if her gimmick is lame imo). It's been a minute since I watched any Impact but it was nice to see Rosemary and Taya again, they were great, and some new faces. Kiera Hogan looks like she's been coming along nicely, she has great presence as a heel.

Aside from that, Chris Bey looks like a keeper but a lot of the men's side of the roster doesn't appeal to me. 

• Like 1