DVDVR Message Board

The Washington Commanders Can Fuck Right Off

hammerva

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I'm standing by "Football Team" being the actual good name

55 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Why wouldn’t they just go with Hogs? Frame as the O-Line from the glory days were so good we decided to name the team after them. 

I'm also in the camp that Washington Football Team is much better than any of those create-a-team names (plural Presidents especially bothers me) but Hogs would be pretty decent, especially if they have fun with the logo. Of course they won't, if they pick an animal name it will inevitably be a snarling angry "tough" animal head every other animal logo from the last 20+ years.

Many folks around here are jumping on the conspiracy theory that all those names were sent out so people would be all THOSE ARE SHIT JUST KEEP FOOTBALL TEAM!!! which is what they actually want.

That being said - Armada is a great name but everyone is too much of a coward to do it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Many folks around here are jumping on the conspiracy theory that all those names were sent out so people would be all THOSE ARE SHIT JUST KEEP FOOTBALL TEAM!!! which is what they actually want.

That being said - Armada is a great name but everyone is too much of a coward to do it.

Armada is an awesome name agreed.  

And I'm guessing Football Team isn't going to be the choice because they'll be called the Teamsters (as they've started to be called already by the YouTubers and Twitterati) and there's a certain litigious union out there that may not like that association. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The biggest bullshit is there is no written report

She just “verbally” gave her report and recommendations to Goodell

Pretty fucking convenient 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The team announced that they will announce their new name and logo sometime after the season ends.

The specifically said it will not be the Warriors

From the release (under Jason Wright - Team President's name)

In the spirit of that engagement, I want to address a name that has emerged amongst our fanbase, "Warriors." One might look at this name as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation. But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, "context matters" and that makes it a "slippery slope." Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago.

We have 89 years of history in this league and failing to acknowledge our past use of Native imagery in the consideration of the new name wouldn't be mindful of the individuals and communities that were hurt by the previous name. We've made significant changes in our organization and our culture, and our new name must reflect these changes. To that end, we will choose an identity that unequivocally departs from any use of or approximate linkage to Native American imagery.

That will be as close as you get to them acknowledging the old name was racist

EDIT - full release https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/presidents-brief-moving-foward-washington-football 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Ward has "excepted" responsibility (because someone told him his tax shelter charity was probably in danger because of his idiocy):

He didn't apologize to Ron specifically, but, you know... CTE is a hell of a thing. 

On 7/15/2021 at 12:39 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

The 9/11 stuff mentioned in that article didn't even move my needle, but the peanuts story...

Yeah,  people have been exploiting 9/11 since 9/12, but selling years old peanuts leftover from an airline that went out of business 15 years ago seems completely unnecessary. I just Googled it and it turns out that eating rancid peanuts is unlikely to get you sick, so I guess it's not much of a liability issue.  With that said,  peanuts have to be on the list of biggest markup at the stadium, but 15 year old peanuts that were probably free have an even bigger profit margin. 

Edited by supremebve
I just checked the byline, this were year old peanuts, so they are merely cheap and miserly... not cheap, miserly and evil in this specific case.

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Buried in the comments for that tweet was an anecdote regarding focus/study groups for the "vaccine-hesitant".  Basically, people who attended claimed to be "considering" the vaccine.  And then, after attending, none of them had their mind changed.  They instead spent the whole time shooting down any pro-vaccination arguments.  The reality is that, at this point, there's no such thing as vaccine-hesitant.  You've either gotten it or you haven't.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Those are not the finalists - it is a shitty report from CBS (shocker) where they decided that some B-roll that the team itself provided meant those were the finalists.

Jason Wright has already come out and the report was bullshit. And that was after Wright himself said they were down to 3 names.

I mean I loathe the team but I hate shitty clickbait stories that will run wild for the next 2 days.

• Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I know little about American handegg, but the first name that popped into my head was Washington Wrecking Crew. DO EEEET!