DVDVR Message Board

2022 FIFA كأس العالم (WORLD CUP 2022)

RIPPA

It is 5 teams for 4 spots.

Canada is in (Technically it isn't official but it would require basically the team folding for them to not get in)

The US and Mexico are both locks if they get 4 more points (And 3 points pretty much clinches too)

I saw the breakdown for each time and qualification and Canada can finish no worse than 4th so they are at least ensured the playoff

Mexico has the edge over the US because Mexico has the easier remaining set of fixtures

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Yes Canada! I hope they take Daniel Jebbison to the World Cup, that'll bump up his pricetag like Ramsdale getting in the England squad for the Euros. 

The World Cup draw will take place on April 1 (the jokes write themselves)

The two International Playoff Spots will not be known when the draw happens (they originally were supposed to be played in March but now won't happen until June)

The expectation is that those two spots will be in Pot 4 so a team like Mexico or the US would be boned if they don't directly qualify (since their FIFA ranking would normally put them in Pot 2)

Sweden, the Czech Republic and Poland all have signed a declaration demanding their games to be moved from Russia after the development of the last few days. Fifa is taking the "wait and see" approach because they are right up there with the Catholic Church and IOC when it comes to values and moral integrity. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Russia should be kicked out of the playoffs, Poland given a bye to the final and Sweden/Czech Republic awarded a goal to start the final 1-0 up against the Poles. Fair's fair. 

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well Sweden has also announced that they will boycott any match against Russia no matter where it is scheduled to be played

The Czech Republic unsurprisingly joined them. Now watch FIFA gifting Russia a free ticket to the World Cup.

Yeah, FIFA giving the ticket to Russia is the most likely scenario. Both FIFA and UEFA should have banned Russian football teams from competing, if simply because Yugoslavia's ban in 1992 set a precedent. I guess it's easier to go "wait and see", especially when you get a good chunk of money from them. Seriously, fuck sports associations... 

• Like 1

In a small way, they have to deal with whattabouttery before acting. 

If they suspend Russia, why not Saudi Arabia for bombing Yemen?

And what happens when a Western country does something wrong? Does the UK or the US get banned for the dumb things they have done for the last 6 years? 

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think it's something to do without contemplation first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

Better late than never, but lord... It feels like everything about football associations was confirmed over the last few days... 

You are aware where this year's World Cup is taking place correct? Everything about FA's was confirmed long long ago.

Of course I'm aware and it's one of the reasons I won't follow the tournament. It's true that we knew for a long time that FIFA & Co. are all about the money, but that their meetings will look sth like how the Simpsons pictured Republicans meetings when they introduce Sideshow Bob as a candidate hadn't been confirmed yet. 

• Like 1