DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling - 7/7/20

Really loved the hype video on the Slammiversary main event, great job making it feel like a big deal putting over Ace, Eddie, and Trey as the top guys in addition to hyping the mystery opponent factor. Fun opening knockouts tag, both made good teams. 4 way tag was solid, good win for the Deaners and I liked that it also furthered Reno Scum against TJP & Fallah. Swinger was hilarious throughout as usual.  Good main event from Sami and Alexander. Continue to love the North's work and looking forward to them against Sami & Shamrock.

Watching Impact in 60: Best of Rosemary afterwards. I forget just how perfectly awesome Rosemary's run was in 2016/2017. 

Results:

*Kylie Rae & Susie def. Rosemary & Taya Valkyrie (w/ John E Bravo) (8:26) when Kylie used the STF on Taya while Bravo tended to Rosemary on the outside.

*The Deaners (Cody Deaner & Cousin Jake) def. XXXL (Acey Romero & Larry D), Reno Scum (Adam Thornstowe & Luster the Legend), and TJP & Fallah Bahh (12:36) when Jake pinned Larry D while TJP/Fallah and Reno Scum brawled to the back.

*Jordynne Grace def. Kimber Lee (6:24) with the Grace Driver. After the match, Deonna Purrazzo appeared on the tron with a promo on Jordynne and their match at Slammiversary.

*Willie Mack(c) def. Johnny Swinger (dressed as Suicide) (1:48) after the Stunner to retain the X Division Championship. 

*Sami Callihan def. Josh Alexander (w/ Ethan Page) (14:53) after the Piledriver while Ken Shamrock took out Page at ringside.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

I watched this week first time since April.

I liked the women’s tag match. I like Kylie and Susie as a team I like Susie as a character the stuff between Susie and Rosemary at the beginning was pretty fun. They may have teased a John E Bravo face turn with him checking on Rosemary leaving Taya open for the school girl from Kylie and getting pinned. Whatever they are setting up between Susie and Rosemary I feel bad for the inevitable beating Kylie is gonna take when Susie transforms back to Su Yung.

The 4 way tag was cool. They have a very versatile tag division, versatile Knockouts Division too but back to that later. Each team is very different t and it was fun to watch them all hit movez on each other. Looks like the Deaners are picking up some steam. I really liked the brawl between Scum and TJP/Bah. TJP in the trash can with the chair with Bah pushing him around as he hits The Scum with the chair, that was a cool spot. I like the way backstage is shot with the handheld cam that’s a positive that the Eric Bischoff regime brought to the product.

The Impact plus moment of the week was the entire Knockouts Tag Team Championship match from Lockdown 2010. It was only 5 minutes. It was good for what it was. I’ve never seen it before, this was a reminder that ten years ago Impact was an entirely different promotion. I’ve heard smatterings of The Knockouts Tag Titles coming back knit wonder if this was a subtle hint at that. 

Jordyne Grace vs Kimber Lee was cool. Grace was dominate but Kimber got some offense in. Purazzo cutting that promo has me pumped for their match at Slam. Purazzo cut a really good heel promo I know we just had a year long heel run in the Knockouts Division but what the he’ll why not. Unless they want Grace to go over in the first match then run this until BFG where Purazzo goes over idk.

That was a really good video package for the Slammiversary Main Event. Like Dream Broken said really good at getting the talent involved over and also great use of so much footage Impact has, Anthem until Sinclair is not afraid to acknowledge the promotions history before they purchased it. Sting being teased as the mystery opponent made me chuckle. He’s the least likely to show up.

The Johnny Swinger stuff was really good. He’s great at playing the dope. So I think Eric Young’s coming back they teased it with the Super Eric mask and cape. I personally would like to see Eric and ODB return as the Knockout Tag Champs as they never lost the belts 8 years ago. Swinger as Suicide was fun. Willie tricking him into a match led to some funny spots of Swinger falling on his ass trying high spots. The match was short and sweet. The only negative is Josh Matthews can be a poor mans Micheal Cole and he repeatedly reminded us that wasn’t the actual Suicide and called Swinger a dope every chance he could get. Let’s tone it down dude.

Madison Reign interviewing herself was funny. Moving from seat to seat was a nice touch. There’s a lot of talent in the knockouts division right now and that was on full display during this segment. I loved the brawl at the end they are all gunning for the title and if your in the way then well you gotta get Moved out of the way.

Tommy Dreamer in a suite reading an apology written by his lawyer Tricky Dick Heyman yeah sign me up. Moose as TNA Champion I haven’t seen any of it but with the exchange between Tommy and Moose I think I can get behind it. 

Calihan vs Alexander was good from what I saw. I DVRed this and Ringo Starrs GD birthday party ran 3 minutes over, it cut off right when Ken Shamrock ran out. I don’t know what I make of Shamrock and Calihan as partners last I watched Sami threw a fireball into Kens face but then one of Sami’s hacker micro chips or something landed in Kens eye and nod he can see into the future or something. I like The North as champions and I don’t know if I want to seen them lose the titles to Ken and Sami. 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 3

Based on the video at the end I’m guessing the fourth guy in the main event ends up being Bully Ray with Gallows and Anderson as his backup. Since the video seemed to be focused on the Aces and Eights. 

As for the show last night I thought it was another really good episode. Swinger was awesome (as always), they made me more interested in a Tommy Dreamer match than I thought possible, and while I don’t think there’s a chance they beat The North it definitely felt like Sami/Shamrock are a credible threat now.

• Like 1

I know I said earlier that I think Bully Ray is the fourth guy for the main event with Anderson and Gallows as backup. However based on the video promo last night for the main event I’d really like to see them pull a sensible swerve. 

The video package I’m referencing compared Ace Austin to AJ Styles. Which got me thinking that the original plan for the Aces and Eights was for AJ to be their leader. 

So what if at Slammiversary they have Bully as the fourth guy in the main event, but since it’s an elimination match the final two are Bully and Ace? Then Anderson and Gallows enter the ring, and hit the Magic Killer on Bully revealing that not only did Ace have a card up his sleeve (like his gimmick usually is), but that the Aces and Eights are led by “The One True Ace”. 

• Like 1

@Ramo2653 same thing happened to me buddy. Fucking Ringo Star... I didn’t get to see the finish either.

@MavsFan77 I’m thinking The PPV is gonna have a few returns (debuts). I’m not sure who the Mystery Man is gonna be I wouldn’t mind Bully Ray showing in that position. Of all the returns that I think are happening (EC3, Ray, Eric Young, Gallows) I think Bully would be the 4th man. EC3 you could make the argument he could be the 4th man but I think he’s gonna show up and start feuding with Moose over the TNA title. But I like the idea of Bully Ray with Gallows and Anderson as the Aces and 8’s at the PPV. Bully winning the title that’s a little lolTNA for my tastes give the ex-WWE Guy the belt back in his first match. But if the angle is done right Bully will bring eyes to the product he has name value plus he’s on the Busted Open Radio Show so there’s free publicity for Impact. If they build it towards either Sami or Eddie taking the belt off Bully at Bound For Glory then I can get behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From last weeks Observer

Bully Ray’s contract expired and he wasn’t given an offer for a new deal because ROH isn’t offering people new deals right now. The company likes him but aside from Danhausen, because they build a storyline around it, nobody whose deals are up are getting new offers right now. There are expectations that once they start running things may change, including having interest in Alex Zayne, who had just started when the pandemic hit, and Tony Deppen

Edited by Web Conn