DVDVR Message Board

TNA for Sale

EN090

Well, I wouldn't call myself a celebrity or anything, but it's true that I found some change in my couch and I hope you guys are ready for missile dropkicks and a heavy dose of Sid every Thursday night!

• Like 7

Well, I wouldn't call myself a celebrity or anything, but it's true that I found some change in my couch and I hope you guys are ready for missile dropkicks and a heavy dose of Sid every Thursday night!

Fistbumps for everybody!!!!!

I don't think anyone is outright cheering for TNA to fold above all else. I think everyone would like to see it get better, but everyone has its doubts that it wll, even with an ownership change. Either Bischoff will buy it and it's the same old shit or someone else buys it and puts Bischoff in charge (because hey, he ran a wrestling company before, right?) and it's the same old shit.

Why can't someone take a chance on someone new, or relatively new?

Who is there though?  Anyone who theoretically knows the business well enough is also smart enough to know to stay away.  It's only glory hounds who can't find anything else to do like Bischoff that end up in positions like that.

It would be very intriguing if it ends up being Shane McMahon though.

Didn't Paul Heyman want some ownership in TNA? So while someone earlier said Shane McMahon and Jim Ross. I'll go with Shane McMahon and Paul Heyman. 

Also didn't Stephanie sell a bunch of WWE stock recently? Steph and Hunter could also be the buyers. Go from constantly all over WWE TV to being on TNA TV.

And yes both are delusional pipe dream scenarios

I don't think anyone is outright cheering for TNA to fold above all else. I think everyone would like to see it get better, but everyone has its doubts that it wll, even with an ownership change. Either Bischoff will buy it and it's the same old shit or someone else buys it and puts Bischoff in charge (because hey, he ran a wrestling company before, right?) and it's the same old shit.

Why can't someone take a chance on someone new, or relatively new?

???

It doesn't appear Viacom has any interest in buying the company (even though TNA gets far better ratings than Bellator, it's not as valuable because it can't get the corporate sponsors or ad revenue) and the parties involved come from outside the pro wrestling industry.

If Bischoff bought the promotion, given that he is a reality producer, my hope would be that he keeps the 'Impact Wrestling' brand name, hangs on to like 10-15 guys, and makes Impact Wrestling a kayfabe series about this core group of guys and girls wrestling in different promotions, like AAA and New Japan. Basically just making the old Global Impact specials the entire show. 

What is the reasoning behind people thinking that Shane McMahon would buy a wrestling company? If he cared about wrestling wouldn't he already have a wrestling company by now? Or just stick with the one his family owns? 

I hope its Perry The Pelican that buys TNA! Show should open with him welcoming everyone to the IMPACT ZONE!

Posted Image

Well someone mentioned the Sand Diego Chicken earlier, but this is more like the bastard son of the San Diego Chicken and Pennywise the Evil Clown.

• Like 1

IMO, having listened to Bauer's podcast, it does sound like he's towing the TNA line more than anything.

"Lots of people are interested in buying it"

"The Carters aren't deserate to sell, they're just seeing what's out there."

I'm more inclined to believe Meltzer's claim that there's only one buyer lined up. All this Bischoff/Jarrett/Undisclosed celebrity may just be an effort to ramp up the price.

Is that the guy who was the San Diego Chicken?

I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be swell if it was the San Diego Chicken that bought TNA.Oh hell, imagine a power struggle between the SD Chicken and the Gobblygooker.

....culminating in a loser gets tarred and un-feathered match.

I hope the new owners understand that its the 21st century. TNA built their entire promotion around a 20th century business model without understanding WHY that worked at the time. Overall that has been TNA's biggest problem. They look at someone like The NWO and think if they run a major heel company takeover angle then the buys will come in. They look at Austin/Mcmahon and think if they have a heel authority figure then the money will come in. They look at the way Nitro and Raw started in the late 90's and decided Impact needs to start that way every Thursday. They looked at the Monday Night Wars and thought that moving to Mondays would bring the viewers in.

All of this stuff worked in a bubble and under certain cirumstances. Everyone here understands, so I will not review. The new owner(s) hopefully can look at the world and realize a few things:

- The biggest PPV draws right now are NOT HEAVYWEIGHTS.

- KIm Kardashian is one of the highest downloaded/search for female celebrities.

-The UFC has a female referee.

- Bellator, UFC, Glory, ONEFC, etc. do not book their shows/company SOLELY  around THE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE (or even as a chief principle in some cases).

-SHIMMER,Chikara,HUSTLE, Strikeforce, G1, Dream, Shine, and Evolve are some of the names of promotions started in close to or near the 21st century.

- Normal everyday people have used youtube to make themselves 6 figures a year and in some cases millionairies. These people  have FANS and are looking for more exposure.

These 6 things are VERY important for the new owners to understanding. I feel everyone on this board knows why I brought up these points.

• Like 1

Total hypothetical - Could TNA revert/evolve (de-evolve?) back to being the national face of the NWA? Hook up with a bunch of indie promotions and basically make this show the pinnicle of the independant scene.

Run like 4 PPV's and say 4-6 Super Shows a year in different cities with different undercards but a stable list of upper/middle card names.

I hope its Perry The Pelican that buys TNA! Show should open with him welcoming everyone to the IMPACT ZONE!

Posted Image

CURSE YOU PERRY THE PELICAN!

Is Doofenshmirtz working on a TNA-buy-inator?
It ends up backfiring and turning TNA into CZW.

Although the idea of entrance themes being done in the style of the musical interludes on P&F intrigues me. Plus, Buford > Bully Ray.

• Like 1

Eric Bischoff was not at Bound for Glory or TV and isn't expected back. The story given is that he will be working from home, which means he's out of the picture as the key creative force. His contract is believed to expire in or around February, so he'll get paid until then. Bischoff being gone would indicate the likelihood of Hogan being back has decreased, because Bischoff was always there to do Hogan's bidding and to make sure he was featured as a key component in storylines. There was talk this is a way to get him out of the picture, but he wasn't let go due to his contract with the company still having time left. What's notable about this is Gaburick was looking just a few weeks ago at bringing Bischoff back as on-air talent.

A lot of people were very happy to see Bischoff go, since it was noted that he was very negative with people and most didn't enjoy working for him. For a long time, because of his track record as the guy who created Nitro and the wrestling boom, he was thought of highly by Spike TV, both for that and also being a veteran of selling television properties meaning so he knows that language and has credentials outside of wrestling. He had been TNA's intermediary between them and Spike. But the bloom of late has been off that rose as well. At the end of the day, Bischoff's early success in WCW came because he was lucky that a lot of very intelligent people were on board with him and they were filled with good ideas. The joke used to be that you would suggest an idea to Bischoff, and two weeks later, in a conversation, he'd pitch the idea back to you, like it was one of his, forgetting you were the one who brought it to him in the first place. But the fact is the ability to separate good ideas suggested from bad ideas is a talent and he grew the company tremendously before it imploded. As best I can tell, with the exception of Hulk Hogan, none of those people had any affiliation with Bischoff this go around and he this time didn't cultivate people like that, which resulted in few ideas like those which turned the business around 17 years ago.

Bischoff had been the key driving force in creative. The creative going forward will be in the hands of writers David Lagana and Matt Conway, as well as the guys maneuvering the direction will be John Gaburick ("Big" from Tough Enough) and Jeff Jarrett, who has had a lot more and more input of late, and I was told you could see Jarrett being relied on more and more at Bound for Glory and the last TV's.

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/110-wrestling-observer-newsletter/33764-nov-4-2013-wrestling-observer-newsletter-hell-in-a-cell-results-no-db-as-champion-bellator-ppv-canceled-ufc-numbers-new-japan-ippv-tons-more

I love this idea of comparing Bischoff's run in WCW to his run in TNA even though they're apples n oranges. In TNA, he was one of many consultants while in WCW he had final say on everything.

The one area he did have full control in, production, has improved immensely during his TNA run.