DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Okay, I'm dead-ass serious.  If we can find where to send it to and all that I'll buy the damn fruit basket myself.  And maybe somebody can type up something nice since I'm not the best with words.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

WWE hired 2-3 new writers for the NXT brand.

I don't think there's anything wrong with NXT per say that it needs new writers. I just think the PC is a black hole that sucks the essence of NXT out of it.

• Like 1

I am amused that there was so much groundswell support and calls for AEW to sign Eddie Kingston that it was trending.  Yet he was in Impact as recently as late 2018, and still nobody really bothered to watch.

9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

In the entire history of TNA/IMPACT I could never tell you what channel, njght, or time it was on. For a national promotion it might as well have been ECW before TNN... but with even less enthusiasm.

I know they were only on PPV for a while and everything after that is just static.

They were on Destination America for a while. I remember because of all the Psychic Bigfoot.

Also, Eddie Kingston was mostly a manager in the second half of his TNA run. He was managing the OGs (Homicide and Hernandez) against Konnnan's new LAX (Santana and Ortiz) but it was 'The bawses stay back'.

He did come in as a wrestler, he was part of a masked conspiracy wierdo stable with James Storm and Bram. Which was dropped really suddenly.

Edited by AxB

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Sekimoto is seriously next level meaty, would be glorious to see him slap meat with Big E someday.

?

• Haha 2

Impact has been creatively good for a few years now. Financially, it's been on it's deathbed pretty much up until Anthem leveraged everything to purchase it from Dixie. There were stories almost each quarter for a while where they needed money to fund the tapings/ppv or they had to close shop and then the money would magically appear.

Second Liger/Sano match, from August of 1989, was very different but still great. Liger comes in with NFL style shoulderpads to protect what looks like a separated left shoulder. Of course, being wrestling not in Mexico, you work to the left side so this opened up a tonne of opportunities for Sano to reverse Liger straight into Fujiwara armbars and cross ambreakers. The first 5-8 minutes are a cat and mouse game built around the shoulder, except Liger gets really dangerous and swipes back with an early GNARLY rolling koppo kick right to the jaw of Sano, which begins Sano's selling of the concussion from the first match. So they both play that up until eventually Liger is on the apron and they tease the suplex to the floor again. This time it ends up with both men on the turnbuckles and a suplex from up there to the floor, which this time they at least gave themselves a chance not to die. Sano goes for a tope suicida, misses and hits his head again (this time rather obviously blading). Liger shows his viciousness attacking the head with kicks oscillating between non-committal because of the shoulder to pretty damn stiff. But the story is firmly established now with obvious targets for both men, but the arm proving to be too severe an injury and Sano too ruthless and skilled not to take advantage of it consistently. It ends with Sano hitting the avalanche back suplex he went for at the end of the first match but couldn't quite muster. He hits it clean and picks up the win. Not god tier like the first but perhaps some may prefer it for the safer execution and clearer, more traditional limb-targeted storytelling. I still prefer this to the January '90 match. 

It does feel like Liger may have Nas'd it up with his first big, great match being his best (like Illmatic being Nas' best effort) with a long, storied, and excellent career to follow. I'm down to dive into more Liger after the Sano feud. I saw the '90 Negro Casas match but apparently they have one in 2010 that is also highly regarded, kinda like how I was joking about how both are timeless legends earlier.