DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

Just a goofy indy wrestling thing to throw out there...

Beyond did an angle where "Retrosexual" Anthony Greene (now August Grey in NXT) is this 80s/90s throwback worker, wearing Zubaz, fanny pack, and a parody Ribera jacket, calling out various wrestlers from that era.  It leads to a match with Stevie Richards.  On the night of the show, instead of Dancin' Stevie or Big Stevie Cool, Right to Censor Steven Richards shows up, ranting about alcohol and scantily clad women.  Greene gives Richards a Snickers bar, telling him he's "a little censor-y" when he's hungry.  Richards eats it, runs back to the locker room, and comes back out as Dancin' Stevie.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Just a goofy indy wrestling thing to throw out there...

Beyond did an angle where "Retrosexual" Anthony Greene (now August Grey in NXT) is this 80s/90s throwback worker, wearing Zubaz, fanny pack, and a parody Ribera jacket, calling out various wrestlers from that era.  It leads to a match with Stevie Richards.  On the night of the show, instead of Dancin' Stevie or Big Stevie Cool, Right to Censor Steven Richards shows up, ranting about alcohol and scantily clad women.  Greene gives Richards a Snickers bar, telling him he's "a little censor-y" when he's hungry.  Richards eats it, runs back to the locker room, and comes back out as Dancin' Stevie.  ?

Which beyond event was that on?  I loved what Anthony Greene I saw on Limitless Wrestling The Road Season 1.

1 hour ago, bobholly138 said:

Which beyond event was that on?  I loved what Anthony Greene I saw on Limitless Wrestling The Road Season 1.

It's on "Lethal Lottery."  There's some lead-up to it, including a match with GANGREL, on some of the episodes of Uncharted Territory leading up to it.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's on "Lethal Lottery."  There's some lead-up to it, including a match with GANGREL, on some of the episodes of Uncharted Territory leading up to it.

Thx. I will look for it in a bit. Gotta make a long phone call and been watching stuff on IWTV while doing this each week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Thx. I will look for it in a bit. Gotta make a long phone call and been watching stuff on IWTV while doing this each week.

That's cool.  I started with the first episode of Uncharted Territory and I definitely recommend it.  It's a fun, easy watch. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Still working through Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory and the storyline right now, leading up to Americanrana 2019, is that Chris Dickinson has called out Daisuke Sekimoto for a match at the show and, in prep for that, is wrestling a tough match almost weekly.  Well on the latest show, he wrestled Matthew Justice.  Jesus Christ.  It's all fun and games and beautiful indy wrestling until Matthew Justice saunters out with his sleazy early 90s indy part timer look.  A Matthew Justice match showing up on an otherwise fine show is like someone showing up and punching you in the balls when you're in the middle of a nice bout of fucking. 

So it's a no DQ match because of course it is, because Justice is an untalented garbage match goof and that's all he can do so they have to cater to him.  Unsafe chairshots?  Of course.  Almost killing Dickinson on a botched ring apron Deadeye type move?  Yup.  My god this guy sucks and is as unsafe as an 85 year old driving an Escalade.  When Dickinson himself did something unsafe that may hurt Justice, God help me but I cheered.  Dickinson powerbombed him off the stage, through a door that was propped up on two chairs, straight to the wood floor.  That door did zero to break his fall and it was the highpoint of my day.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to cheer for another man's injury, but I will when that man is an unsafe, shitty worker who thinks unprotected chairshots are still awesome.  Man, I can't stand Matthew Justice and feel like guys like him have zero place in wrestling today.  Thank you for listening and God bless you all*

*except Matthew Justice

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

ICWNHB's Pitfighter X Battle of the Tough Guys first night was a lot of fun.  A nice variation of styles throughout the show.  I'm looking forward to watching night 2.  

Also, I'm going to have to watch their Then and Now Vol 11 show.  It's got Santee/Kyle and Tankman/Maff.  Looks pretty awesome.

• Like 2

Finished Bloodsport 6 this morning.  The undercard was good, but damn did I love Mox/Barnett.  They did a great job of conveying "well-trained fighter vs less-trained tough guy".  Also loved that they did a great job of having these two friends eventually get pissed at each other and start really going at it.  Very cool match.  Watch it if you get a chance.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, Technico Support said:

Still working through Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory and the storyline right now, leading up to Americanrana 2019, is that Chris Dickinson has called out Daisuke Sekimoto for a match at the show and, in prep for that, is wrestling a tough match almost weekly.  Well on the latest show, he wrestled Matthew Justice.  Jesus Christ.  It's all fun and games and beautiful indy wrestling until Matthew Justice saunters out with his sleazy early 90s indy part timer look.  A Matthew Justice match showing up on an otherwise fine show is like someone showing up and punching you in the balls when you're in the middle of a nice bout of fucking. 

So it's a no DQ match because of course it is, because Justice is an untalented garbage match goof and that's all he can do so they have to cater to him.  Unsafe chairshots?  Of course.  Almost killing Dickinson on a botched ring apron Deadeye type move?  Yup.  My god this guy sucks and is as unsafe as an 85 year old driving an Escalade.  When Dickinson himself did something unsafe that may hurt Justice, God help me but I cheered.  Dickinson powerbombed him off the stage, through a door that was propped up on two chairs, straight to the wood floor.  That door did zero to break his fall and it was the highpoint of my day.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to cheer for another man's injury, but I will when that man is an unsafe, shitty worker who thinks unprotected chairshots are still awesome.  Man, I can't stand Matthew Justice and feel like guys like him have zero place in wrestling today.  Thank you for listening and God bless you all*

*except Matthew Justice

It's weird because I'd seen his work from PA and Ohio 10 or so yrs ago and he wasn't working the style he is doing now. In fact it was rumoured at one point he'd be getting a WWE contract. He was one of the guys working Gargano's dad's promotion PWO.  Had some ok matches with Matt Cross but he was always vanilla to me. Best way I could describe him was a tall guy working a Shawn Michaels style.  Not sure what made him change his style and do a 360 but yeah I agree with you on all points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It's weird because I'd seen his work from PA and Ohio 10 or so yrs ago and he wasn't working the style he is doing now. In fact it was rumoured at one point he'd be getting a WWE contract. He was one of the guys working Gargano's dad's promotion PWO.  Had some ok matches with Matt Cross but he was always vanilla to me. Best way I could describe him was a tall guy working a Shawn Michaels style.  Not sure what made him change his style and do a 360 but yeah I agree with you on all points. 

Wow, this is some Surfer Sandman shit ?   Seriosuly, though, he's definitely not that anymore. 

I don't mind garbage matches at all, by the way.  Baker/Rosa was amazing, for example.  My problem is with workers who barely have any talent doing garbage matches because they suck in the ring but are willing to hurt themselves and that's enough.  Guys like that turn wrestling into a geekshow.  Biting the head off a chicken and giving/taking unprotected chairshots requires the exact same amount of skill.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wow, this is some Surfer Sandman shit ?   Seriosuly, though, he's definitely not that anymore. 

I don't mind garbage matches at all, by the way.  Baker/Rosa was amazing, for example.  My problem is with workers who barely have any talent doing garbage matches because they suck in the ring but are willing to hurt themselves and that's enough.  Guys like that turn wrestling into a geekshow.  Biting the head off a chicken and giving/taking unprotected chairshots requires the exact same amount of skill.

What about biting the head off of a chicken WHILE giving/taking unprotected chairshots?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't know if you have it but if you subscribe to highspots or maybe even on youtube you can see his matches from PWO, or even PWX pittsburgh.   You will notice a totally different style. I found him boring in the past but he had a decent fan base. He hung out with Callihan and his guys quite a bit if I remember right. 

• Like 1

Matthew Justice started working the Hardcore style after he lost his WWE developmental deal. His sports entertainment name was, quite brilliantly, Mack Hetfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Matthew Justice started working the Hardcore style after he lost his WWE developmental deal. His sports entertainment name was, quite brilliantly, Mack Hetfield.

In WWE developmental: “Well, let’s see here. You’re a pretty big guy and you’ve got long hair, so let’s set the random name generator to “Heavy Metal” and “Big”. Ok. All set. Now we’ll just pull the lever and see what we come up with.”

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Log said:

In WWE developmental: “Well, let’s see here. You’re a pretty big guy and you’ve got long hair, so let’s set the random name generator to “Heavy Metal” and “Big”. Ok. All set. Now we’ll just pull the lever and see what we come up with.”

LOL add to the fact his real name is Matt Hanna and it's even better.   #nojusticeforjustice

• Like 1

Why do the gods of wrestling hate me so, punishing me with unexpected garbage out of the blue? 

Bear Country hits the ring.  Me: "cool!" 

Their opponents?  KTB and motherfucking useless chubby neckbeard "we have Joey Janela at home" Jimmy Lloyd.  One of the untalented garbage dudes hits one of the Bears with an unprotected top rope chairshot a minute in and I am FFWD'ing to the next match.  Christ.

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Why do the gods of wrestling hate me so, punishing me with unexpected garbage out of the blue? 

Bear Country hits the ring.  Me: "cool!" 

Their opponents?  KTB and motherfucking useless chubby neckbeard "we have Joey Janela at home" Jimmy Lloyd.  One of the untalented garbage dudes hits one of the Bears with an unprotected top rope chairshot a minute in and I am FFWD'ing to the next match.  Christ.

I'm not a huge fan, but I get the appeal of Janela.  He's crafted himself a great dirtbag persona, and he puts together really fun shows.  

Lloyd, I do not get at all.  I've never seen him look even passable in anything I've seen of him.  

• Like 1

Jimmy got his start because of Joey. I wish he hadn't.  Joey's shows helped get PCO and Marko Stunt noticed/back in the public in PCO's case.   But it's not working with Jimmy Lloyd. In fact it's the opposite. I know many who can't stand the guy and skip his matches.  KTB is hit or miss to me as well. I'd never go out of my way to see his stuff but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either. Joey had a great series of matches with Lio Rush in CZW.   If given the shot in AEW he could do more. I just think he's been wasted in AEW so far. 

On 4/21/2021 at 1:00 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

Jimmy got his start because of Joey. I wish he hadn't.  Joey's shows helped get PCO and Marko Stunt noticed/back in the public in PCO's case.   But it's not working with Jimmy Lloyd. In fact it's the opposite. I know many who can't stand the guy and skip his matches.  KTB is hit or miss to me as well. I'd never go out of my way to see his stuff but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either. Joey had a great series of matches with Lio Rush in CZW.   If given the shot in AEW he could do more. I just think he's been wasted in AEW so far. 

I like Janela quite a bit.  I think the issue in AEW is that he hasn't been able to play to his strengths.  The dude looks like he's doing math in his head when he has to do a typical AEW match, trying to remember which spot is next.  He's better at hardcore/freakshow stuff (not a knock on him, IMO).  I dug his brawl with Dickenson at this last Spring Break.  He's just not a guy that should be doing go-go-go Young Bucks tags or stuff like that.

• Like 1

Biggest problem with Jimmy Lloyd is that he almost went immediately to death match wrestling because that is what he wanted.  He did work maybe a year in Dojo Wars but not that much.   So his skills are shaky at best.   It seem like he was gaining momentum in death matches and then it just died.  I remember him getting a shit load of hate because people thought he didn't put the full effort on the IWA King of Death Match tournaments while pushed heavy.    Then COVID happened and he really looked bad in the ring when indies starting coming back.   He needs consistent work.    His stuff with G Raver has been really good I think

Edited by hammerva

I think I dislike Jimmy Lloyd for the same reason I want to pull the TV off the wall and throw it out the window when Matthew Justice comes out to "wrestle" on an otherwise good show.  Both feel like guys who really aren't talented at pro wrestling but get bookings because they're willing to do deathmatches.  I figured that sort of thing would have a lower ceiling in 2021 but here we are.

I don't mind violent matches filled with plunder at all.  But I want to see them done by competent workers.  Like a deathmatch should be a tool in an artist's toolbox that's filled with other things.  To me, it's not really pro wrestling when your only skill is taking/giving real life punishment.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, Technico Support said:

I think I dislike Jimmy Lloyd for the same reason I want to pull the TV off the wall and throw it out the window when Matthew Justice comes out to "wrestle" on an otherwise good show.  Both feel like guys who really aren't talented at pro wrestling but get bookings because they're willing to do deathmatches.  I figured that sort of thing would have a lower ceiling in 2021 but here we are.

I don't mind violent matches filled with plunder at all.  But I want to see them done by competent workers.  Like a deathmatch should be a tool in an artist's toolbox that's filled with other things.  To me, it's not really pro wrestling when your only skill is taking/giving real life punishment.

which is why I never have been sold on guys like Matt Tremont.  Probably a nice guy outside of wrestling  but he looks like the dude at Home Depot waiting for 5 pm to come so he can hit the bar. 

• Like 1

If you want to see something really weird,  Camp Leapfrog which I am not sure I could even explain decided to do their own version of BloodSport called Frogsport.   As part of the show they also had what was called a "Soviet Death Match" featured Edith Surreal and Masha Slamovich.   It is outdoor match with no fans where it looks like they shoveled off just enough snow to put a ring and some walking room around it.  The ring of surrounded by at least 6 - 10 inches of snow.  Like they wrestling at a ski lodge?  Mostly a hardcore match include Masha basically sliding off a snow covered roof to splash Surreal through a door and an insane Awesome bomb door spot that had to suck for Masha.

Edith Surreal has been one of the more improved wrestlers in the last year or two.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 1