DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

On 8/28/2021 at 3:20 AM, hammerva said:

Man Steve Corino vs his son Colby is a must see match tonight .  Told a great story of the legend not wanting to go back to his evil ways but has no choice vs the son who is doing everything possible to escape his shadow.  Not sure what was Steve last match but more than held his own even though he was gassed at the end

Just checked this out and had to echo this! Awesome match and absolutely great to see Steve come out of retirement to have this kind of match. I didn't even care that he gassed, he worked his ass off and the father vs son story was one of the most compelling things I've seen in an indy match in a long time. Folks should check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 10:04 PM, ka-to said:

Trenton Thunder minor league baseball stadium. (Actually FKA as Trenton Thunder, Trenton lost the team this year with the takeover of the minor leagues by MLB, Buffalo AAA team moved in this year because MLB Toronto took over the Buffalo stadium because of border crossing restrictions). They sell pork roll sandwiches at the concession stands!

Watching wrestling in a minor league baseball stadium is a real treat, especially when they do the layout where the ring is on the mound and they put seats on the infield and even the outfield if necessary.  I went to a few WWE shows when they ran the minor league stadium out in Frederick, MD, and it was so cool.

The  New Texas main event was good.  I'd never seen Killer Kelly before and she is the stiffest version of Penelope Ford.  Rok-C is wrestling way beyond her years.

Watched Masha Slamavitch's Borscht At The Beach with the perfectly fine Leyla Hairsch/Killer Kelly main event.  Best thing on this was Alec Price, who has the most punchable face in all of wrestling.  And Chris Dickenson punches him really hard in the face a lot.  It was great.

• Like 3

Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory season 3 episode 1 just finished. It was really, really good. Alex Shelley vs Daniel Garcia was masterful.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AxB said:

Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory season 3 episode 1 just finished. It was really, really good. Alex Shelley vs Daniel Garcia was masterful.

That was like a good Volk Han match for a minute there.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, DEAN said:

Watched Masha Slamavitch's Borscht At The Beach with the perfectly fine Leyla Hairsch/Killer Kelly main event.  Best thing on this was Alec Price, who has the most punchable face in all of wrestling.  And Chris Dickenson punches him really hard in the face a lot.  It was great.

Unfortunately that's Killer Kelly's second to last match for the foreseeable future, since she's been having breathing problems (non-COVID related) so she's taking some time away to get that under control.

Also - Allie Katch was robbed! Damn you, Masha.

• Like 1

The Shelley match from last Saturday?

The Moriarty match where he won the title went like 50+ minutes, so you might want to avoid that one (although it was really good).

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Shelley match from last Saturday?

The Moriarty match where he won the title went like 50+ minutes, so you might want to avoid that one (although it was really good).

I really like the Moriarty vs Garcia submissions match, but yeah, I'll keep digging.

So.

I watched the hour match.

Now if you had told me this even a MONTH ago, let alone two or three, I would have said "What? Did the kids bring home COVID and I ended up stuck in isolation?" and then you would have told me and then maybe I'd have had a little cry... but that's ok. I'm ok. They're ok.

And this was actually a hell of a piece of business. I'm not going to review it for SC because it feels weird to put it up on there without Phil/Eric looking at it and judging if it should be on the MOTY list.

I thought the first 35 minutes or so were excellent. A lot of the success of the match rides on those first thirty minutes not feeling nearly as long as they actually were.

• The opening burst was good. Some of the pinfalls felt a little floaty to me, but then Garcia seemed to use that to fake out positioning for the pile driver. I don't know if that was the intent or if it's just part of his natural explosiveness that it sort of lets him cover for such things.
  • The subsequent headlock was great and could have even gone on longer with more creative ways. I know I just said that the first 35 minutes didn't feel long but it might have helped everything overall if they let some things sink in longer if they did it creatively.
  • Likewise the obtaining of the arm damage. There's a moment where Garcia tried to whip Yuta early after the initial arm damage and it didn't work and that felt like a big turning point. It's sort of a balance. Did you want it to be one act that caused everything or maybe instead one act that opened things up for everything. I would have had Yuta spend a few more minutes getting cut off in his attempts to open up the arm and really earn that element. A few minutes more with the headlock, a few minutes more with him earning the arm as Garica tried to prevent it and that would have helped at the 45 minute mark.
  • The armwork itself was fine but the star of the show was Garcia's defensive wrestling and his attempt to fire back with only three limbs. Him trying to figure out how to put on holds when he didn't have use of his arm was brilliant and beautiful wrestling. Incredibly creative stuff that felt so organic and natural due to how he comes at every situation trying to do as much strategic damage as possible. They milked it for so much and this, more than anything else, made the match work.
  • While I liked the big belly to back off the top as a transition point (and it paralleled Yuta's belly to back to end the headlock earlier), I thought Yuta fell apart too completely after it. I get that a lot of it could be his character/persona (though this is a guy who won the title in a 50 minute match, albeit one I didn't see), and some of it could be the HEAT of the building but they should have played that up more on commentary (and the commentary was overall excellent). I don't think he needed to reverse the brainbuster and I think the remainder of the match would have been stronger if he ate it (albeit maybe a less painful version because of Garcia's hand) instead.
  • While the mocking helps justify the comeback (and the dropping of the arm selling during the strike exchange), it didn't sit well with the draw finish. More on that later.
  • Yeah, the strike exchanges. They were cool. I liked them. I wish Garcia would have sold the hand just a little somewhere in there. If he's going to put SO much attention to detail in everything else he does, I would have appreciated it just a little more there. It played into the finishing minutes after all. I do also buy the idea that he was so pissed and he is Red Death and in that moment he was transcending such pain or maybe his whole body was so wracked with pain that it didn't matter. Just a personal choice mainly because they did go back to it.
  • So, something has gone really wrong with either your 60 minute world title match, or you as a wrestler, or the fans, or wrestling in general, when at the 53 minute mark when they were just about to enter the stretch, when they were going into the final nearfall teases, when Yuta was putting on the last bit of punishment with the German suplexes, the crowd was primarily chanting about how Yuta had no ass. That would have been fine in the ten minute mark or even the thirty minute mark but down the stretch, something went obviously very wrong and I felt bad for Yuta there because I don't even think it was his fault, except for maybe, maybe, some of the structural elements I mentioned above. I think it's mainly just 2021 and we can't always have nice things anymore. (Also, occasionally Yuta will have a physical moment that doesn't 100% work for me, like when he missed a forearm and then weirdly turned around to get choked out at one point or maybe in the transition out of the Yu Tap Out. It was just a few times in 60 minutes and in general this match is a big feather in his cap.)
  • The finish was iffy to me because Yuta tapped out on the fans' count and not the ringing of the bell. If he tapped out on the ringing of the bell that would have been 60 minutes exactly. Him tapping out before the ringing of the bell made it seem like he waited until fans countdown and let go then thinking it was over but since the bell didn't ring for another second, it felt like 59:59. Good idea but it really hinged on the bell ringing at the exact moment he tapped.

Quite the accomplishment for these two though. People should take the time to watch it. Garcia is definitely the real deal, tremendous for his age.

• Like 2

Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory s3e3 - the main event, Matt Makowski vs Davey Richards, that was a good match. But the opener, Trish Adora vs Eel O'Neal, that was INCREDIBLE~!

100%. I watched Beyond live, and then the second half of TimeBomb Pro, and I didn't expect anything on Timebomb to be as good as O'Neal vs Adora. But Ku vs Keith was just two guys hammering on each other.

• Like 2

Jesus, Bryan Keith is having a week!  His match against Shane Mercer (the best possible Brian Cage) is CRAZY.

EDIT:  Harlow O'Hara is teeny now.  Charli Evans is impressive.  Her match against Billie Starks is good.  I'm watching FU The Final Phase.

I'd go with the Chris Dickinson match from Beyond Wrestling Signature Series ep 6.

OR, if you've not done it yet, the Ryan Galeone match that just happened tonight.

Edited by AxB

On 10/28/2021 at 2:02 PM, AxB said:

I'd go with the Chris Dickinson match from Beyond Wrestling Signature Series ep 6.

I gave this a look, thanks. It felt 2014-5 Beyond to me, more so than most things I've seen this year that are a little more hybrid, a little more pro wrestling, maybe a little more Bret influenced in how they're married to the grappling stuff. Everything was good and Makowski has a certain impressive explosiveness that he broke out one or two times in the match in moving in an abrupt way that you wouldn't expect. In general, it was effective and really got him over and he does seem like a machine in there. I'm just not sure it's what I'm looking for in even indy wrestling in 2021. Given the other options out there. That said, I think he could be an effective foil for a wrestler who I do want to see more.

Well tonight is Tremont vs Onita in an exploding barbed wire double hell deathmatch.  At the home of Trenton Thunder minor league team. 

That was pretty much everything we expected.  Onita took no punishment except 1 or 2 light tubes and Tremont almost set himself on fire 2 or 3 times.   Barbed wire was strung on ropes and not used.  Although I have never seen an exploding light tube bundle before and lost my shit 

Edited by hammerva