DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

I reviewed a War Games match from 2008 in AWS which was a so-cal indy fed.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/06/monday-wargames-aws-total-war.html

It isn't particularly amazing or anything, but it does have a great Adam Pearce performance, and maybe the craziest single dive I have ever seen, Human Tornado does a flip plancha with tremendous distance and height while wearing a walking boot. Worth just fast forwarding the footage to that spot.

Thanks for this as I always was back and forth on creating a thread for IWTV.  But looking back I really should have.

IWTV is getting some cool shit with the Japanese promotions coming in.  So that is great on its own though I should look up what's worth checking out.  And yes I know the answer is "everything" but for the sake of time I'm trying to find out what in particular to watch.  But one thing that I loved before all that is the wide variety of wrestling out there.  And the best way that I've been able to see what's out there in one video was through the BLM mixtape they had a couple weeks ago.  It gave me a glimpse into the work of many wrestlers  I never heard of and it led me to having a few promotions on my radar.  So that's a pretty cool sampler.  I know that C*4 has a mixtape of sorts but I'm curious to see if there's more general mixtapes to get a good sample of everything on the service.

You should check out AIW, it is my favorite current Indy promotion and has a really nice mix of wrestlers

We reviewed a ton of it on Segunda Caida

Here is our review of the Mania weekend show which had the best opening four matches of any show I have ever been to live

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/05/long-road-report-to-hell-4419-final-act.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:16 PM, Phil Schneider said:

You should check out AIW, it is my favorite current Indy promotion and has a really nice mix of wrestlers

We reviewed a ton of it on Segunda Caida

Here is our review of the Mania weekend show which had the best opening four matches of any show I have ever been to live

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/05/long-road-report-to-hell-4419-final-act.html

You listen to The Card is Going to Change? That’s what brought AIW to my attention it’s almost like what Independent wrestling is suppose to look like. 

2 hours ago, AxB said:

ICW No Holds Barred streaming in like 2 and a half hours. Expect violence.

And if you need a warm up, this year GCW Backyard Wrestling show is on now at FITE.   

I thought the main event with Shlak was literally the more worrisome thing I have seen in a while.  Then I saw that John Zandig was at the show with a Trump 2020 hat.  Seriously that light tube dust really does fuck with people

Edited by hammerva

18 hours ago, Web Conn said:

You listen to The Card is Going to Change? That’s what brought AIW to my attention it’s almost like what Independent wrestling is suppose to look like. 

AIW is my “local” promotion, so much good stuff over the last five years. Great atmosphere, they’re always fair to the fans, have a great mix of AIW-trained guys, up-and-coming guys, and indy names.

Can’t wait until it starts up and I can finally go to a show again. 

isn't AIW the supposedly scummy as fuck promotion that covered up a bunch of abuse? Or was that AAW? I'm inclined to think it was AIW, since they're Ohio based and this was in relation to Dave Crist. 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:18 PM, Casey said:

isn't AIW the supposedly scummy as fuck promotion that covered up a bunch of abuse? Or was that AAW? I'm inclined to think it was AIW, since they're Ohio based and this was in relation to Dave Crist. 

Thought it was one promotion earlier but was mistaken.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
EricG's post below this lists the right one.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:18 PM, Casey said:

Definitely not. AAW is in IL. Pretty sure you're thinking of the school associated with Rockstar Pro Wrestling in Dayton—Dave and Jake Crist's OI4K Wrestling Academy. Rockstar immediately ended the working relationship with the academy and is launching their own school with Zachary Wentz and Kimber Lee as the trainers. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm not thinking of Rockstar Pro, I know that much. I'm positive I saw stuff about AIW and Thorne.

If you did, I'd like to see it. I followed it pretty closely and didn't see anything, nor would I expect to. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

That’s kind of the point of me asking about it, because a Google search turns up nothing and I don’t have a Twitter account. ??‍♂️

So if you asked, were told it wasn't AIW by multiple users, and then proclaimed you definitely saw something, why bother asking in the first place if the answer isn't what you want to hear? AIW definitely isn't "scummy as fuck" and I'm almost positive it wasn't mentioned as such anywhere on Twitter or online.  

Also, they never had any sort of association with Dave Crist except for bringing he and his brother in for ~12 shows almost a decade ago. If what you're thinking of was in relation to Dave Crist, it wasn't AIW. 

• Like 1

Think @Casey was talking about AIW in the Trash Thread I could be 100% wrong and they didn’t post it but some one in the Thread said something about how AIW talked shit about Sami Callihan but then released a Best of DVD. 

Once again if it’s not them then I’m wrong and I’ll admit I’m wrong but it sounds like a personal dislike for the promotion and they’re trying to find some dirt that may not exist. There hasn’t been a new podcast since the Speaking Out Movement started so that could add to the speculation or could be just pure coincidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Think @Casey was talking about AIW in the Trash Thread I could be 100% wrong and they didn’t post it but some one in the Thread said something about how AIW talked shit about Sami Callihan but then released a Best of DVD. 

Once again if it’s not them then I’m wrong and I’ll admit I’m wrong but it sounds like a personal dislike for the promotion and they’re trying to find some dirt that may not exist. There hasn’t been a new podcast since the Speaking Out Movement started so that could add to the speculation or could be just pure coincidence.

He announced they were cutting back on the podcasts close to a month ago b/c numbers were way down. They're still releasing some stuff on their Patreon. 

There was a story on one of the earlier podcasts about Sami stiffing them on graphic design services or something like that, I can't remember exactly. It may be a bit hypocritical, but I don't think it goes down to the level of being a "scummy as fuck" promotion that "covered up abuse."

Edited by EricG

It's the only money I spend on pro wrestling these days. I literally check the site daily, because who knows what'll go up. Like that Jersey J-Cup that randomly went up a few weeks back, for instance. I've discovered a lot a really good up and coming guys with this service...

The service is ran by Vin Gerard, the Chikara regular who was Equinox and then unmasked back in the day. I feel particularly horrible because I think Vin was looking for help with the programming of the site early on and I declined in a DM which kills me because I would have loved to work on this. 

There are a lot of cool features and hidden gems on the service. I definitely recommend checking out Zona 23 for some weird outdoor Lucha deathmatch wrestling and they put up the old school ICW shows which I’m pretty sure is the first place I saw Low Ki in 2000. 

Another cool thing is the pop up fact shows like the old VH1 show. They did one on Joey Janela’s Lost in NY where they talk about the NYSAC nearly shutting down the show at a bunch of points and it is so intriguing to read about. 

We reviewed an awesome Paradigm Pro Show on Segunda Caida

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/07/paradigm-pro-wrestling-fighting-spirit.html

It is a UWFI style tournament which is my favorite non Yuki Ishikawa adjacent indy shootstyle show. There is a great superfight between Stephan Bonnar and Matthew Justice and a really great semi-final and final. Haven't heard this show get much pimping before, but it is dope

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

We reviewed an awesome Paradigm Pro Show on Segunda Caida

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/07/paradigm-pro-wrestling-fighting-spirit.html

It is a UWFI style tournament which is my favorite non Yuki Ishikawa adjacent indy shootstyle show. There is a great superfight between Stephan Bonnar and Matthew Justice and a really great semi-final and final. Haven't heard this show get much pimping before, but it is dope

I'm really looking forward to their 7/24 show and didn't realize that they had a show up already, I'm going to have to check this out.

I love the BloodSport shows with the BloodSport show Mania weekend being one of my favorite shows of that week so I am fully up for more promotions like this popping up.